We are planning to spend a couple of weeks in Europe in June with our kids (ages 12 and 14) and can't decide between the Naples/Amalfi Coast area or Provence, France.
We all love Italy and have visited several times, although never south of Rome, AND we all love France but have only been to Paris and its surrounding areas. One kid is studying Latin and ancient Roman history this year, and the other is on his third year of immersion French.
Would it be crazy to do both areas in one trip?
Our thoughts are to fly into Naples and spend 5 or 6 days, then rent a car and drive up the coast of Italy stopping in Pisa or Lucca for a night or two. Then, heading over to Southern France for 5 or 6 days. Google maps says it is a 11 hour drive from Naples to Aix en Provence, and being from the western U.S., that doesn't sound too bad to us. But, our past experience driving in Italy, is that we spend a bit of time lost. Would this be as simple as it looks on the map, or a total mistake?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain, Portugal trip planning
- 2 Zadar or Sibenik
- 3 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 4 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 5 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 6 Train travel to and from Paris
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 8 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 9 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 10 Driving in Italy
- 11 Norway for 1 week, ideas for planning
- 12 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed
- 13 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 14 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 15 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 16 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 17 Use of Train Tickets
- 18 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 19 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 20 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 21 First Trip to Paris
- 22 Andalucia Spain
- 23 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 24 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 25 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise