We were tentatively planning 3 nights in Copenhagen, 1 night on the Copenhagen-Oslo ferry, 2 nights in Oslo, 2 nights in Bergen, (flight to Stockholm from Bergen) 5 nights in Stockholm, 2 nights in Visby, and a final night at a hotel near the Stockholm Airport prior to flying home to the US. Having read through the reviews on Tripadvisor for the famed Norway in a Nutshell "tour," it sounds like equal parts beauty and hassle. Too many comments complain of overcrowding and overbooking, pushing by one's fellow passengers, lack of facilities/food and no actual personnel on hand to sort out difficulties caused by not having places for all the passengers on the various modes of transport since this is a series of tickets for public transport not an actual tour. This leads me to consider what alternatives there might be to NIN and whether we can adjust the itinerary to allow for a more relaxed way to see the coastal Norway scenery. Budget is a consideration since Scandinavia is so very expensive, but I'm interested to hear what other options there are out of Bergen? I would appreciate any suggestions based on recent experiences.
Alternatives to Norway in Nutshell?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with England/Wales tour
- 2 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 3 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 4 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 5 Autumn in Paris
- 6 First Time to UK since 2001
- 7 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 8 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 9 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 10 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 11 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 12 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 13 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 14 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 15 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 16 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 17 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 18 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 19 Live ( almost) report from Greece!
- 20 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 21 NCAA Pigskin Week Six ? Picks?
- 22 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 23 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 24 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 25 Travel between Madrid and Caceres