Here's a scoop:
Alitalia MAY be planning to restore nonstop service between Italy and San Francisco (SFO) as early as next year, according to this official Alitalia Press Release dated July 3, 2013:
Note in particular the following text:
"New long-haul routes with high potential
New long-haul routes with high traffic potential to/from Italy will be identified and introduced. The new routes will operate mainly from the hub of Rome Fiumicino and the airports of Milan Malpensa and Venice.
The new intercontinental destinations which may be introduced between Winter 2014 and Winter 2016 are Nairobi, Seoul, Santiago de Chile, San Francisco and Johannesburg from Rome. Shanghai, Abu Dhabi and Osaka from Milan Malpensa; Tokyo from Venice.
The launch of the new routes will be combined with the strengthening of the Alitalia presence through increased frequencies to North and South America (especially the United States and Brazil), Japan and the Arabian peninsula."
The same press release notes that Alitalia will be adding SIX new long range aircraft to its fleet (another source reports two new Boeing 777s and four new Airbus 330s). The Airbus 330s will reportedly be refurbished to increase seating capacity from 230 to 255, by reducing the number of Economy Plus seats.
The press release also notes that departure times at Rome Fiumicino Airport may be changed to optimize connections within Italy to other airports served by Alitalia.
There has previously been speculation of an Alitalia return to SFO (the carrier suspended service there on September 30, 2001, after operating flights with the Boeing 767-300 for only one or two years).
Stay tuned for more!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 2 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 3 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 4 Alternative for Rustem Pasa Kulliyesi
- 5 Unlimited Internet Poland and best place to visit?
- 6 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 7 App for restaurants/pubs in the the UK?
- 8 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 9 Gap of Dunloe
- 10 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 11 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 12 Best GBP 250 Per Night London Hotel
- 13 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 14 Istria and northern Croatia OR Calabria and Sicily
- 15 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 16 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 17 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 18 Greece itinerary - need advice!
- 19 to get to the Rijks Museum from Schiphol - bus or train
- 20 Lovely Luxembourg!
- 21 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 22 Italy- Train Amalfi to Siena
- 23 travel around Spain
- 24 Where to stay in Berlin Berlin
- 25 Restaurants
Here's a scoop: