Here's a scoop:
Alitalia MAY be planning to restore nonstop service between Italy and San Francisco (SFO) as early as next year, according to this official Alitalia Press Release dated July 3, 2013:
Note in particular the following text:
"New long-haul routes with high potential
New long-haul routes with high traffic potential to/from Italy will be identified and introduced. The new routes will operate mainly from the hub of Rome Fiumicino and the airports of Milan Malpensa and Venice.
The new intercontinental destinations which may be introduced between Winter 2014 and Winter 2016 are Nairobi, Seoul, Santiago de Chile, San Francisco and Johannesburg from Rome. Shanghai, Abu Dhabi and Osaka from Milan Malpensa; Tokyo from Venice.
The launch of the new routes will be combined with the strengthening of the Alitalia presence through increased frequencies to North and South America (especially the United States and Brazil), Japan and the Arabian peninsula."
The same press release notes that Alitalia will be adding SIX new long range aircraft to its fleet (another source reports two new Boeing 777s and four new Airbus 330s). The Airbus 330s will reportedly be refurbished to increase seating capacity from 230 to 255, by reducing the number of Economy Plus seats.
The press release also notes that departure times at Rome Fiumicino Airport may be changed to optimize connections within Italy to other airports served by Alitalia.
There has previously been speculation of an Alitalia return to SFO (the carrier suspended service there on September 30, 2001, after operating flights with the Boeing 767-300 for only one or two years).
Stay tuned for more!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 2 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 3 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 4 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?
- 5 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 6 4 days in switzerland
- 7 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 8 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 9 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 10 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 11 2 Months around Europe and the Balkans. Need help with itinerary!
- 12 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 13 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 14 Scenic Driving Routes
- 15 Chatsworth/Hardwick Hall Timing
- 16 Trip Report Iceland Ring Road in Campervan
- 17 Swiss Pass dilemma
- 18 London's Must Sights!
- 19 What is the area around Camaiore like?
- 20 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 21 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 22 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 23 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 24 My Ring Road experience in Iceland
- 25 14 nights in Europe
Here's a scoop: