Here's a scoop:
Alitalia MAY be planning to restore nonstop service between Italy and San Francisco (SFO) as early as next year, according to this official Alitalia Press Release dated July 3, 2013:
Note in particular the following text:
"New long-haul routes with high potential
New long-haul routes with high traffic potential to/from Italy will be identified and introduced. The new routes will operate mainly from the hub of Rome Fiumicino and the airports of Milan Malpensa and Venice.
The new intercontinental destinations which may be introduced between Winter 2014 and Winter 2016 are Nairobi, Seoul, Santiago de Chile, San Francisco and Johannesburg from Rome. Shanghai, Abu Dhabi and Osaka from Milan Malpensa; Tokyo from Venice.
The launch of the new routes will be combined with the strengthening of the Alitalia presence through increased frequencies to North and South America (especially the United States and Brazil), Japan and the Arabian peninsula."
The same press release notes that Alitalia will be adding SIX new long range aircraft to its fleet (another source reports two new Boeing 777s and four new Airbus 330s). The Airbus 330s will reportedly be refurbished to increase seating capacity from 230 to 255, by reducing the number of Economy Plus seats.
The press release also notes that departure times at Rome Fiumicino Airport may be changed to optimize connections within Italy to other airports served by Alitalia.
There has previously been speculation of an Alitalia return to SFO (the carrier suspended service there on September 30, 2001, after operating flights with the Boeing 767-300 for only one or two years).
Stay tuned for more!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 days driving holiday to rural North England.
- 2 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 3 Where to stay in Italy for a month in Oct/Nov
- 4 One in Paris ... help
- 5 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 6 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 7 Transferwise: My latest experience in currency exchange
- 8 Are Munich and Vienna too similar for same trip?
- 9 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 10 Dolomites October 14-18
- 11 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 12 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 13 Seville Itinerary
- 14 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 15 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 16 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 17 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 18 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 19 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 20 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 21 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 22 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 23 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 24 Corsica experts: Where should I spend an extra night?
- 25 8 Days in Corsica--Not Enough!
Here's a scoop: