Here's a scoop:
Alitalia MAY be planning to restore nonstop service between Italy and San Francisco (SFO) as early as next year, according to this official Alitalia Press Release dated July 3, 2013:
Note in particular the following text:
"New long-haul routes with high potential
New long-haul routes with high traffic potential to/from Italy will be identified and introduced. The new routes will operate mainly from the hub of Rome Fiumicino and the airports of Milan Malpensa and Venice.
The new intercontinental destinations which may be introduced between Winter 2014 and Winter 2016 are Nairobi, Seoul, Santiago de Chile, San Francisco and Johannesburg from Rome. Shanghai, Abu Dhabi and Osaka from Milan Malpensa; Tokyo from Venice.
The launch of the new routes will be combined with the strengthening of the Alitalia presence through increased frequencies to North and South America (especially the United States and Brazil), Japan and the Arabian peninsula."
The same press release notes that Alitalia will be adding SIX new long range aircraft to its fleet (another source reports two new Boeing 777s and four new Airbus 330s). The Airbus 330s will reportedly be refurbished to increase seating capacity from 230 to 255, by reducing the number of Economy Plus seats.
The press release also notes that departure times at Rome Fiumicino Airport may be changed to optimize connections within Italy to other airports served by Alitalia.
There has previously been speculation of an Alitalia return to SFO (the carrier suspended service there on September 30, 2001, after operating flights with the Boeing 767-300 for only one or two years).
Stay tuned for more!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 2 Is It Better to Book Hotel Direct
- 3 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 4 where to visit besides Oslo for 2 days 1 night in mid december
- 5 What one thing in Paris?
- 6 16 night honeymoon in Spain
- 7 Paris Under Seige...
- 8 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 9 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 10 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 11 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 12 Beaches via Public Transportation
- 13 Turkey Gulet Cruises
- 14 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 15 Sweden and Finland for 6 days in mid December 2015
- 16 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 17 Glowing epidermis– Some women have stated
- 18 6 days in Portugal in December
- 19 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 20 Establishing a Realistic Food Budget
- 21 Anyone ever been to Minsk, Belarus?
- 22 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 23 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 24 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 25 Northern Italy - where to go?
Here's a scoop: