Here's a scoop:
Alitalia MAY be planning to restore nonstop service between Italy and San Francisco (SFO) as early as next year, according to this official Alitalia Press Release dated July 3, 2013:
Note in particular the following text:
"New long-haul routes with high potential
New long-haul routes with high traffic potential to/from Italy will be identified and introduced. The new routes will operate mainly from the hub of Rome Fiumicino and the airports of Milan Malpensa and Venice.
The new intercontinental destinations which may be introduced between Winter 2014 and Winter 2016 are Nairobi, Seoul, Santiago de Chile, San Francisco and Johannesburg from Rome. Shanghai, Abu Dhabi and Osaka from Milan Malpensa; Tokyo from Venice.
The launch of the new routes will be combined with the strengthening of the Alitalia presence through increased frequencies to North and South America (especially the United States and Brazil), Japan and the Arabian peninsula."
The same press release notes that Alitalia will be adding SIX new long range aircraft to its fleet (another source reports two new Boeing 777s and four new Airbus 330s). The Airbus 330s will reportedly be refurbished to increase seating capacity from 230 to 255, by reducing the number of Economy Plus seats.
The press release also notes that departure times at Rome Fiumicino Airport may be changed to optimize connections within Italy to other airports served by Alitalia.
There has previously been speculation of an Alitalia return to SFO (the carrier suspended service there on September 30, 2001, after operating flights with the Boeing 767-300 for only one or two years).
Stay tuned for more!
Alitalia Returning to San Francisco????
Here's a scoop:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with extended vacation / move to Italy with little ones …
- 2 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 3 Travel from Positano to Rome in Sept
- 4 Berlin: Itinerary & Acco help pls
- 5 Need advice on Northern Spain itinerary
- 6 How many bus/metro rides in Paris is too many in a day?
- 7 2 full days in Strasbourg - need advise on what tours to take
- 8 3 weeks in Italy - what to do with remaining 1 week?
- 9 Christmas Markets and White Christmas in the Alps
- 10 Last minute opportunity for a 5 week Europe trip: HELP PLS
- 11 Amsterdam: My list of things to do/see is ready - Pls help in daily planning
- 12 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 13 Cinque Terre in early August: Nightmare or still worthwhile?
- 14 Florence Hotel Location advice pls
- 15 Posting from Siena-ATM emergency! Help needed!
- 16 I went to Paris in June
- 17 "Compartment" vs "Saloon Carriage" in 2nd class: Salzburg to Venice?
- 18 Florence veg friendly restaurant suggestions pls
- 19 Venice veg friendly restaurant suggestions pls
- 20 Venice hotel: Select from the shortlist pls
- 21 Help! Aegean Airlines booking info & baggage
- 22 Cheap Traveling in Spain
- 23 I´ve resurrected an old blog on the Basque Country
- 24 Brugge photo on Bing
- 25 A week in the South of France Sept 2014