I'm flying from the USA to Rome, and then from Rome to Barcelona. I've heard plenty about both cities' reputations for having lots of pickpockets and the occasional mugging, and about what travelers can do to make themselves less of a target.
I'm planning to take the airport train into the city, and then walk the last few blocks to my hotel. I will have a wheeled suitcase and a backpack. So I will definitely look like a tourist.
What I'd like to know is what precautions others on this forum have taken to stay safe while riding public transit with luggage, or walking from a subway stop to their hotel with luggage.
For whatever it's worth, I've ridden airport trains and walked to hotels with luggage in other cities like San Francisco, Berlin, and Beijing, and never been pickpocketed, robbed, or even felt threatened.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Entertaining 17 year-old in Rome
- 2 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 3 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 4 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 5 Place to Eat in Aix-en-Provence
- 6 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 7 Iceland photo tour- any tips?
- 8 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 9 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 10 Can I buy a Sim card at FCO? Terminal 3
- 11 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 12 Rome and Amalfi Coast Trip Report
- 13 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 14 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 15 Rome or Venice first
- 16 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 17 Shannon Airport - Mobile Data Card
- 18 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 19 B&B in Ireland
- 20 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 21 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 22 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 23 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 24 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 25 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston