I'm flying from the USA to Rome, and then from Rome to Barcelona. I've heard plenty about both cities' reputations for having lots of pickpockets and the occasional mugging, and about what travelers can do to make themselves less of a target.
I'm planning to take the airport train into the city, and then walk the last few blocks to my hotel. I will have a wheeled suitcase and a backpack. So I will definitely look like a tourist.
What I'd like to know is what precautions others on this forum have taken to stay safe while riding public transit with luggage, or walking from a subway stop to their hotel with luggage.
For whatever it's worth, I've ridden airport trains and walked to hotels with luggage in other cities like San Francisco, Berlin, and Beijing, and never been pickpocketed, robbed, or even felt threatened.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Two days around Oban - help with itinerary
- 2 바카라룰■▥■『KIA700.CoM』■▤■온카マ온카
- 3 Need help traveling from Austria to Switzerland
- 4 Help building itinerary Italy/Austria
- 5 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 6 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 7 Avoid Europcar!
- 8 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 9 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 10 Scotland - We're Here!
- 11 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 12 Cinque Terre trip/trains
- 13 European Vacation 2017
- 14 3 weeks with Kids - Austria Itinerary help
- 15 offline navigation for a tablet in Germany and Austria
- 16 Need help in completing trip details
- 17 Odd Question - freezer and microwave
- 18 Which area to stay in London
- 19 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 20 Madrid food advice needed
- 21 A couple last minute questions before my first trip to Barcelona
- 22 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 23 Split to Hvar
- 24 Paris for children
- 25 Please Help! Day Trips to Bern, Thun, Castles, and MORE!