I'm flying from the USA to Rome, and then from Rome to Barcelona. I've heard plenty about both cities' reputations for having lots of pickpockets and the occasional mugging, and about what travelers can do to make themselves less of a target.
I'm planning to take the airport train into the city, and then walk the last few blocks to my hotel. I will have a wheeled suitcase and a backpack. So I will definitely look like a tourist.
What I'd like to know is what precautions others on this forum have taken to stay safe while riding public transit with luggage, or walking from a subway stop to their hotel with luggage.
For whatever it's worth, I've ridden airport trains and walked to hotels with luggage in other cities like San Francisco, Berlin, and Beijing, and never been pickpocketed, robbed, or even felt threatened.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 2 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport
- 3 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 4 Rent a car in England
- 5 Edinburgh to Skye
- 6 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 7 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 8 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 9 South of France - 7 Days - April
- 10 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 11 2017 Easter in Italy
- 12 4 days itinerary for France
- 13 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 14 Italy Puglia and Le Marche
- 15 Going to Russia
- 16 Beginning Itinerary Guidance
- 17 tours/attractions worth paying for in Prague/Vienna/Budapest/Krakow
- 18 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 19 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 20 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 21 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 22 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 23 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 24 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 25 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?