My goal was pretty straightforward. I’d studied Dutch for about a year and was hankering to practice my language skills. So, I’d booked my trip: KLM Montreal-Amsterdam June 17th- June 28th, staying in a B&B in Haarlem on the weekdays and a hotel in Amsterdam on the weekend. My first trip ever to the Netherlands, I saw it as kind of like that university “semester abroad” that I couldn’t do since I was a science major, only differences being are that now ONE I’m 40 and TWO I can’t afford that, so this was “eleven days abroad” instead .
So, I’d completed “Living Languages: Dutch (with CDs)” which seemed to broach the language in a systematic manner. I had also listened to a number of Dutch songs and TV shows, in part thanks to some Fodorite suggestions. These didn’t give me any illusions that I would be able to always understand or have deep political or philosophical discussions. A few pleasant small talk conversations period I thought would be fantastic. I even thought that happiness would be me going in a restaurant, ordering, and mutual comprehension occurring.
Well, there was significant discouragement (and some derision) from a number of my friends about this trip. “Everyone speaks English; as soon as you open your mouth, they’ll speak to you in English.” “I’m sure you’ll be speaking in English only by day two.” Even Fodorites shed doubt on how well my plan would go, but I was determined to try anyway!
**Next Installment: How Did Practicing My Dutch Actually Go?**
**Then Trip Report including Haarlem, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft**
After a Year Dutch, How Did Dutch Immersion in Haarlem/Amsterdam Go?
- 1 4 days in Zurich for the adventurous- what to do?
- 2 Need some help credit card for hotels in italy
- 3 The Old ATM Question Ally Bank Debit Cards in Europe today
- 4 9 or 10 night Spain itinerary
- 5 Barajas, Terminal 1 to Terminal 2.
- 6 Club Quarters near Trafalgar Square
- 7 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 8 Advance Eurostar Tickets
- 9 Tierentyne mustard on a Sunday
- 10 St. Peter's Tomb at the Necropolis Scavi Fact or Fiction?
- 11 International Trains to Switzerland using Swiss Pass
- 12 Trip to Norway- suggestions for itinerary?
- 13 Prague Itinerary
- 14 Revamped Summer Plan - Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy
- 15 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland
- 16 Home base in Provence in July
- 17 Best area to visit in Switzerland during October first or second week
- 18 Formal Tours of the Marais paris
- 19 10 Day Trip to Turkey
- 20 Paris - Apartment on Rue Volta, 3rd arr?
- 21 Granada on Sunday
- 22 Four Days in Seville
- 23 Southeast England - more planning ?
- 24 Top flamenco in Barcelona this fall - every night!
- 25 IRELAND ELECTRONIC HELP