My goal was pretty straightforward. I’d studied Dutch for about a year and was hankering to practice my language skills. So, I’d booked my trip: KLM Montreal-Amsterdam June 17th- June 28th, staying in a B&B in Haarlem on the weekdays and a hotel in Amsterdam on the weekend. My first trip ever to the Netherlands, I saw it as kind of like that university “semester abroad” that I couldn’t do since I was a science major, only differences being are that now ONE I’m 40 and TWO I can’t afford that, so this was “eleven days abroad” instead .
So, I’d completed “Living Languages: Dutch (with CDs)” which seemed to broach the language in a systematic manner. I had also listened to a number of Dutch songs and TV shows, in part thanks to some Fodorite suggestions. These didn’t give me any illusions that I would be able to always understand or have deep political or philosophical discussions. A few pleasant small talk conversations period I thought would be fantastic. I even thought that happiness would be me going in a restaurant, ordering, and mutual comprehension occurring.
Well, there was significant discouragement (and some derision) from a number of my friends about this trip. “Everyone speaks English; as soon as you open your mouth, they’ll speak to you in English.” “I’m sure you’ll be speaking in English only by day two.” Even Fodorites shed doubt on how well my plan would go, but I was determined to try anyway!
**Next Installment: How Did Practicing My Dutch Actually Go?**
**Then Trip Report including Haarlem, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft**
After a Year Dutch, How Did Dutch Immersion in Haarlem/Amsterdam Go?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 2 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 3 A Sardinia trip report
- 4 Granada
- 5 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 6 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 7 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 8 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 9 All Set To Go!!
- 10 First time to Switzerland
- 11 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 12 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 13 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 14 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 15 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 16 Eastern Europe
- 17 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 18 Trip Report: 17 days in Switzerland, Austria & Czech Republic
- 19 10 Days in Emilia-Romagna : Thinking of 3 Days Bologna and Then??
- 20 Switzerland help...?
- 21 Base for a Week in Normandy or Brittany in July
- 22 Airport ATMs
- 23 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 24 London to Paris by train
- 25 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics