My goal was pretty straightforward. I’d studied Dutch for about a year and was hankering to practice my language skills. So, I’d booked my trip: KLM Montreal-Amsterdam June 17th- June 28th, staying in a B&B in Haarlem on the weekdays and a hotel in Amsterdam on the weekend. My first trip ever to the Netherlands, I saw it as kind of like that university “semester abroad” that I couldn’t do since I was a science major, only differences being are that now ONE I’m 40 and TWO I can’t afford that, so this was “eleven days abroad” instead .
So, I’d completed “Living Languages: Dutch (with CDs)” which seemed to broach the language in a systematic manner. I had also listened to a number of Dutch songs and TV shows, in part thanks to some Fodorite suggestions. These didn’t give me any illusions that I would be able to always understand or have deep political or philosophical discussions. A few pleasant small talk conversations period I thought would be fantastic. I even thought that happiness would be me going in a restaurant, ordering, and mutual comprehension occurring.
Well, there was significant discouragement (and some derision) from a number of my friends about this trip. “Everyone speaks English; as soon as you open your mouth, they’ll speak to you in English.” “I’m sure you’ll be speaking in English only by day two.” Even Fodorites shed doubt on how well my plan would go, but I was determined to try anyway!
**Next Installment: How Did Practicing My Dutch Actually Go?**
**Then Trip Report including Haarlem, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft**
After a Year Dutch, How Did Dutch Immersion in Haarlem/Amsterdam Go?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting from London to Southhampton
- 2 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 3 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 4 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 5 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 6 Venice to Milan train tickets (for August travel) sold out already?
- 7 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 8 21 Days in Central Europe
- 9 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 10 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 11 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 12 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 13 best time to book accommodation
- 14 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 15 Oktoberfest reservations
- 16 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 17 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?
- 18 No points in Paris .....
- 19 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 20 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 21 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 22 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 23 Pronunciation
- 24 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 25 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?