My goal was pretty straightforward. I’d studied Dutch for about a year and was hankering to practice my language skills. So, I’d booked my trip: KLM Montreal-Amsterdam June 17th- June 28th, staying in a B&B in Haarlem on the weekdays and a hotel in Amsterdam on the weekend. My first trip ever to the Netherlands, I saw it as kind of like that university “semester abroad” that I couldn’t do since I was a science major, only differences being are that now ONE I’m 40 and TWO I can’t afford that, so this was “eleven days abroad” instead .
So, I’d completed “Living Languages: Dutch (with CDs)” which seemed to broach the language in a systematic manner. I had also listened to a number of Dutch songs and TV shows, in part thanks to some Fodorite suggestions. These didn’t give me any illusions that I would be able to always understand or have deep political or philosophical discussions. A few pleasant small talk conversations period I thought would be fantastic. I even thought that happiness would be me going in a restaurant, ordering, and mutual comprehension occurring.
Well, there was significant discouragement (and some derision) from a number of my friends about this trip. “Everyone speaks English; as soon as you open your mouth, they’ll speak to you in English.” “I’m sure you’ll be speaking in English only by day two.” Even Fodorites shed doubt on how well my plan would go, but I was determined to try anyway!
**Next Installment: How Did Practicing My Dutch Actually Go?**
**Then Trip Report including Haarlem, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft**
After a Year Dutch, How Did Dutch Immersion in Haarlem/Amsterdam Go?
- 1 5000 stairsteps, 40 ciao bellas, 12 trains, 8 pizzas, 3 women, 1 report
- 2 Group tours of Greece/Greek islands for solo traveler
- 3 Spain with kids
- 4 Advice on itinerary - Balestrand, Ulvik, Flam?
- 5 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 6 Albi-Carcassonne to St. Remy
- 7 Do and don't, eating in France
- 8 Places to visit from London
- 9 Perfect gondola ride and dinner in Venice? But on a budget.
- 10 Meeting up at CDG
- 11 Brutal Crack Down on Peaceful Environmental Protest
- 12 July reservations for County Kerry?
- 13 Renting Apartment in Nice
- 14 Derby - What to do with 1.5 days?
- 15 Scotland & Ireland - do I HAVE to pick 1 for 7-day trip?
- 16 Nice agriturismo or country apartments/villa near Bologna
- 17 Paris Ticket t+
- 18 Sicily Trip Report May 2013 - LONG and DETAILED
- 19 Italy/Switzerland - Help w/ Itinerary
- 20 Paris 2 bedroom/2bathroom apartment you would recommend?
- 21 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 22 Getting the best our of Europe
- 23 best clubs in barcelona
- 24 Hotel recommendations for Turin
- 25 Dordogne Canoe Ride - All wet!