My goal was pretty straightforward. I’d studied Dutch for about a year and was hankering to practice my language skills. So, I’d booked my trip: KLM Montreal-Amsterdam June 17th- June 28th, staying in a B&B in Haarlem on the weekdays and a hotel in Amsterdam on the weekend. My first trip ever to the Netherlands, I saw it as kind of like that university “semester abroad” that I couldn’t do since I was a science major, only differences being are that now ONE I’m 40 and TWO I can’t afford that, so this was “eleven days abroad” instead .
So, I’d completed “Living Languages: Dutch (with CDs)” which seemed to broach the language in a systematic manner. I had also listened to a number of Dutch songs and TV shows, in part thanks to some Fodorite suggestions. These didn’t give me any illusions that I would be able to always understand or have deep political or philosophical discussions. A few pleasant small talk conversations period I thought would be fantastic. I even thought that happiness would be me going in a restaurant, ordering, and mutual comprehension occurring.
Well, there was significant discouragement (and some derision) from a number of my friends about this trip. “Everyone speaks English; as soon as you open your mouth, they’ll speak to you in English.” “I’m sure you’ll be speaking in English only by day two.” Even Fodorites shed doubt on how well my plan would go, but I was determined to try anyway!
**Next Installment: How Did Practicing My Dutch Actually Go?**
**Then Trip Report including Haarlem, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft**
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid - Madrid - 9 days
- 2 Algarve,Portugal at Christmas?
- 3 Stability and safety in Turkey
- 4 Cell phones in France and England
- 5 Parking in Italy
- 6 Where to stay in Emilia-Romagna for best food?
- 7 sim card
- 8 Plan Italy trip
- 9 Restauant Suggestions for our Spain Trip
- 10 Bus from montalcino to Firenze
- 11 London - Lakes - Hadrian - Traquair and more...
- 12 apartments florence
- 13 Immigration from Italy to Ireland to US
- 14 Italy Tuscany or Umbria, Naples area advice please
- 15 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 16 Florence, Italy
- 17 Italy trains question
- 18 Planning a trip to Madrid and Granada
- 19 Girls Trip to Rome!
- 20 How to split time between Dubrovnik and Split?
- 21 Road Trip! Two weeks in Ireland with planning advice for you.
- 22 FCO connection time
- 23 Ireland Trip + 3 days in Dublin
- 24 Slovania & Croatia
- 25 Layover Madrid Info Help
After a Year Dutch, How Did Dutch Immersion in Haarlem/Amsterdam Go?