My goal was pretty straightforward. I’d studied Dutch for about a year and was hankering to practice my language skills. So, I’d booked my trip: KLM Montreal-Amsterdam June 17th- June 28th, staying in a B&B in Haarlem on the weekdays and a hotel in Amsterdam on the weekend. My first trip ever to the Netherlands, I saw it as kind of like that university “semester abroad” that I couldn’t do since I was a science major, only differences being are that now ONE I’m 40 and TWO I can’t afford that, so this was “eleven days abroad” instead .
So, I’d completed “Living Languages: Dutch (with CDs)” which seemed to broach the language in a systematic manner. I had also listened to a number of Dutch songs and TV shows, in part thanks to some Fodorite suggestions. These didn’t give me any illusions that I would be able to always understand or have deep political or philosophical discussions. A few pleasant small talk conversations period I thought would be fantastic. I even thought that happiness would be me going in a restaurant, ordering, and mutual comprehension occurring.
Well, there was significant discouragement (and some derision) from a number of my friends about this trip. “Everyone speaks English; as soon as you open your mouth, they’ll speak to you in English.” “I’m sure you’ll be speaking in English only by day two.” Even Fodorites shed doubt on how well my plan would go, but I was determined to try anyway!
**Next Installment: How Did Practicing My Dutch Actually Go?**
**Then Trip Report including Haarlem, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft**
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 2 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 3 Cote d'Azure & Aix In need of your expertise-10 days in May
- 4 Paris---baguette question???
- 5 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 6 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 7 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 8 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 9 First Time Europe Itinerary 8 Weeks
- 10 Madrid - time to allow for train
- 11 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 12 Scenic Driving Routes
- 13 Looking for the Holy Grail... in a Tour of Italy
- 14 Sent a postcard recently from Italy?
- 15 Vienna to Bratislava
- 16 Venice - suggestions for hotels just after Easter - mid-April 2017.
- 17 1 way ticket
- 18 Chip and Sign credit cards usage in europe
- 19 pareja de hecho in Spain
- 20 Visiting Spain in January
- 21 Best area to stay in Valencia
- 22 What type of visa is right for me?
- 23 road trip from Dover to see the English countryside and castes
- 24 French immersion courses in France
- 25 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
After a Year Dutch, How Did Dutch Immersion in Haarlem/Amsterdam Go?