My goal was pretty straightforward. I’d studied Dutch for about a year and was hankering to practice my language skills. So, I’d booked my trip: KLM Montreal-Amsterdam June 17th- June 28th, staying in a B&B in Haarlem on the weekdays and a hotel in Amsterdam on the weekend. My first trip ever to the Netherlands, I saw it as kind of like that university “semester abroad” that I couldn’t do since I was a science major, only differences being are that now ONE I’m 40 and TWO I can’t afford that, so this was “eleven days abroad” instead .
So, I’d completed “Living Languages: Dutch (with CDs)” which seemed to broach the language in a systematic manner. I had also listened to a number of Dutch songs and TV shows, in part thanks to some Fodorite suggestions. These didn’t give me any illusions that I would be able to always understand or have deep political or philosophical discussions. A few pleasant small talk conversations period I thought would be fantastic. I even thought that happiness would be me going in a restaurant, ordering, and mutual comprehension occurring.
Well, there was significant discouragement (and some derision) from a number of my friends about this trip. “Everyone speaks English; as soon as you open your mouth, they’ll speak to you in English.” “I’m sure you’ll be speaking in English only by day two.” Even Fodorites shed doubt on how well my plan would go, but I was determined to try anyway!
**Next Installment: How Did Practicing My Dutch Actually Go?**
**Then Trip Report including Haarlem, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft**
After a Year Dutch, How Did Dutch Immersion in Haarlem/Amsterdam Go?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 2 9 days in turkey
- 3 Rental Car Reservation via Ireland site or American site?
- 4 7 days in Greece
- 5 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 6 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 7 Itinerary Check- London, Paris, Rome
- 8 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 9 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 10 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 11 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 12 Airbnb recommendations: London, Paris, Rome
- 13 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 14 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 15 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 16 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 17 Hotel in Venice
- 18 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 19 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 20 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 21 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 22 Europe in 21 days
- 23 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 24 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 25 Question re. ToT Montserrat Ticket for day trip