we are 2 families travelling to Turkey and Greece (each one with two kids, girls and boys from 9 to 14 years old), and are wondering if our tentative itinerary makes sense to you.
None of us has been in Turkey before.
I'll begin with the Aegean Region itinerary and ask about the rest of the itinerary in future posts:
- fly to Izmir, arrive in the early morning,
- take the car (either rental car or private tour, we have to check costs and convenience)
- Stay at Izmir for 30 min / 1 hour
- Drive to Cesme (1 hour drive) get to know the town (Cesme Castle + strolling = 2 hours?)
Hotel in Alacati (Cesme) for one night - I was thinking it would be better to sleep in Izmir, it would make more sense to take a city as base. Though, searching hotels in booking.com I found nicer places in Alacati. What do you think?
- Leave Alcati or Izmir, depending on where we slept
- drive to Cesme (1 hour or some minutes)
- Take the ferry to Chios for a day excursion Ferry departs at 9:30 am and arrives to Chios at 10:30 am. Leaves Chios at 6 pm and arrives to Cesme at 7 pm.
- Dinner and sleep at selected base town (either Alacati or Izmir … would it make sense to make it Ephesus?)
- Alacati: depart at around 8:30 am
- drive 1h30 to Ephesus
- Ephesus: sightseeing (theater and library + square + curetes street) – is that enough 3-4 hours?
- drive to Afrodisias 2h30 and sleep there
- Afrodisias: visit museum + ruins (2 hrs?)
- drive 1:30 to Herapolis + Pamukkale
- visit Pamukkale + Herapolis (2hrs):
- drive to Denizli Cardan airport to leave the car and fly back to Istanbul (any other airport that is good to drive from Pamukkale? We would love to have an airport that has direct flights to Cappadocia (or do we have to go back to Istanbul).
So, my main questions are:
1) Base town should be Alacati? Ephesus? Selcuk? Izmir?
2) We would like to go to a greek island. would it be better to go to a) Cesme and Chios or b) Kusadasi and Samos
3) the final airport Denizli Cardan doesn't seem to have as many flights as the Izmir airport. Would it be better to do the trip backwards?
4) Are the estimated times per attraction / town reasonable? Or should we take more / less time per place?
Thanks for your help,
PS. the rest of the itinerary is:
6-9: Aegean Region (flight early morning to Izmir, return by plane too)
10-11: Athens or Cappadocia
11: Madrid flight to Lima
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 days outside Venice
- 2 Reaching the Lake District
- 3 Moldova and Transnistria
- 4 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 5 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 6 Jewish Vienna
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 8 Andalucia Spain
- 9 seat reservations
- 10 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 11 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 12 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 13 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 14 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 15 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 16 Private car transportation from FCO to Central Rome
- 17 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 18 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 19 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 20 Italy in a week
- 21 what is this Copenhagen building?
- 22 4 Nights Sevilla/Cordoba in Nov; How to split up
- 23 Germany-Car or Train
- 24 2 Weeks in France: Rouen, Normandy, Dordogne and the Loire Valley
- 25 SURPRISE TRIP