My wife and I are looking to do a month in Europe over December/January (it will most likely be roughly the 10th - 10th). She has done a package tour through a lot of countries (this was around 8 years ago now), while I have visited sporadically for work but never for pleasure. We have both visited during this time of year before, and know what to expect with regards to temperature/short days, and are entirely comfortable with it (we love winter/Christmas!).
Ideally we are thinking of visiting four countries as we do not want to catch ourselves permanently being in transit and missing the point of our trip. We are not interested in skiing/snowboarding, we are more after culture / food / scenery / museums etc.
The cities we have on our shortlist are:
Somewhere in Germany (no real clue here, everyone says Berlin but we are open)
We are definitely going to London, as I have never been, and we'd really love to spend some time in Scotland also (we'd probably do these two in around 8 days combined and shave a few days off another stop), but aren't sure just how restrictive the weather at that time of year might be.
We are also unsure of where is best to spend Christmas and New Years given the closures that occur around this time.
Does anybody have any advice or suggestions for us? We are very early in planning this trip so nothing is booked or set in stone
Thanks for any help or feedback you might have!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BUY Valid IELTS, ESOL
- 2 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 3 Croatia - Help on itinerary
- 4 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 5 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 6 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 7 Skye to Edinburgh
- 8 Croatia Itinerary help for 13 days in September 2017
- 9 4 or 5 nights in Rome? 4 or 5 nights on AC?
- 10 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 11 Greek Islands (small)
- 12 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 13 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 14 Amalfi Coast transportation
- 15 Spain in December
- 16 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 17 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 18 UK Visa Help
- 19 K-Day
- 20 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 21 Sundays in Puglia
- 22 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 23 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 24 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 25 Visiting London 05/02 - 05/20 (US dates)