My wife and I are looking to do a month in Europe over December/January (it will most likely be roughly the 10th - 10th). She has done a package tour through a lot of countries (this was around 8 years ago now), while I have visited sporadically for work but never for pleasure. We have both visited during this time of year before, and know what to expect with regards to temperature/short days, and are entirely comfortable with it (we love winter/Christmas!).
Ideally we are thinking of visiting four countries as we do not want to catch ourselves permanently being in transit and missing the point of our trip. We are not interested in skiing/snowboarding, we are more after culture / food / scenery / museums etc.
The cities we have on our shortlist are:
Somewhere in Germany (no real clue here, everyone says Berlin but we are open)
We are definitely going to London, as I have never been, and we'd really love to spend some time in Scotland also (we'd probably do these two in around 8 days combined and shave a few days off another stop), but aren't sure just how restrictive the weather at that time of year might be.
We are also unsure of where is best to spend Christmas and New Years given the closures that occur around this time.
Does anybody have any advice or suggestions for us? We are very early in planning this trip so nothing is booked or set in stone
Thanks for any help or feedback you might have!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lake Como- Which villa has the best garden?
- 2 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 3 Top Tapas Tascas
- 4 Iceland car rental agencies
- 5 Amalfi coast in august
- 6 Schlipol Airport/Amsterdam/question
- 7 Just 1 or 2 or 3 days in Venice? Here are free self guided itineraries
- 8 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 9 Greece
- 10 Surprise 30th Birthday Trip... ideas?
- 11 Iceland france spain
- 12 Help on ancient history route
- 13 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 14 (Repost) Overall cost of three weeks in Scotland??
- 15 Split, Croatia Itinerary help
- 16 Hiking lake Como
- 17 Prem fares (again)
- 18 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 19 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 20 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 21 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 22 If your site isn't working because of the update, just take it offline
- 23 Dolomites Sept 2017 express bus schedules
- 24 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 25 Incredibly Beautiful, Fira, Greece