I've been checking out the forums for a while now, and have always seen helpful advice given. Below is an early draft of an itinerary of 4 weeks in April 2015. I know it seems rushed, but I really don't anticipate another chance to make it back for many years (although I'm still just a 20-something, going on a low-moderate budget couples trip). Thanks in advance for your help!
Here's the working line-up- apart from where flights are noted, we'll be traveling by train (I'm a little intimidated by renting/driving a car on our first trip):
London - 4 nights
Paris - 4 nights (including day trip to Normandy)
Prague - 3 nights
Munich - 3 nights (including day trip to Dachau)
Salzburg/Hallstatt - 1 night
Venice - 1 night
Florence - 3 nights (including day spent in Tuscan countryside)
Cinque Terre - 1 night
Rome - 4 nights (day trip to Pompeii/Naples)
Dubrovnik - 3 nights
Plitvice - 1 night
Zagreb - flight home
Alternatively, we would skip Prague and substitute taking the train from Paris to Munich, stopping over for 1-2 nights in Interlaken/Bern. Obviously taking the train through Switzerland with 1-2 days there is not experiencing it, but is it worth it for the scenery in April?
Anything you would cut/substitute? I'm really torn between seeing the "highlights" as it's my first time and trying to take a more Rick-Steves-esque Backdoor trip and go to more out of the way places. Finally, I'll preemptively make the argument that we're really good with train travel, and the time spent will be more like taking a break from being a tourist, but thoughts on how ambitious it is? (P.S. if you're making the argument that it's way too much- please tell me your opinion on what to skip!).
advice on first time europe itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 2 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 3 US looking into preclearance at European airports
- 4 Need help - Train from Marseille airport to Paris
- 5 BUDAPEST Accommodations[2weeks]
- 6 Question on trip (Travelling to different countries)
- 7 18 days - Turkey, Greece and Italy
- 8 london in 2.5 days
- 9 Two Days in Prague
- 10 Trouble deciding between backpack or wheeled luggage
- 11 Amsterdam neighborhood to stay for 2 weeks
- 12 Air France strike
- 13 Escargot
- 14 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 15 Germany with friends who have never been there
- 16 Italy tours
- 17 Pisa or Siena?
- 18 Splendid Summer Trip in Scotland and Ireland
- 19 Train Travel - Paris to Brussels & Bruges
- 20 Street Parking in Lisbon- Regulations?
- 21 1st time to europe- from 0ct 3-26 2014 train advance ticket advice
- 22 guided tours at Prado and Granada
- 23 Best data sim
- 24 3-4 days in Italy before Monaco Conference suggestions
- 25 Tickets for premier league and England games