I've been checking out the forums for a while now, and have always seen helpful advice given. Below is an early draft of an itinerary of 4 weeks in April 2015. I know it seems rushed, but I really don't anticipate another chance to make it back for many years (although I'm still just a 20-something, going on a low-moderate budget couples trip). Thanks in advance for your help!
Here's the working line-up- apart from where flights are noted, we'll be traveling by train (I'm a little intimidated by renting/driving a car on our first trip):
London - 4 nights
Paris - 4 nights (including day trip to Normandy)
Prague - 3 nights
Munich - 3 nights (including day trip to Dachau)
Salzburg/Hallstatt - 1 night
Venice - 1 night
Florence - 3 nights (including day spent in Tuscan countryside)
Cinque Terre - 1 night
Rome - 4 nights (day trip to Pompeii/Naples)
Dubrovnik - 3 nights
Plitvice - 1 night
Zagreb - flight home
Alternatively, we would skip Prague and substitute taking the train from Paris to Munich, stopping over for 1-2 nights in Interlaken/Bern. Obviously taking the train through Switzerland with 1-2 days there is not experiencing it, but is it worth it for the scenery in April?
Anything you would cut/substitute? I'm really torn between seeing the "highlights" as it's my first time and trying to take a more Rick-Steves-esque Backdoor trip and go to more out of the way places. Finally, I'll preemptively make the argument that we're really good with train travel, and the time spent will be more like taking a break from being a tourist, but thoughts on how ambitious it is? (P.S. if you're making the argument that it's way too much- please tell me your opinion on what to skip!).
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 2 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 3 Ireland itinerary help please
- 4 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 5 Ronda Wine/biking
- 6 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 7 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 8 No Periods in British Written English!
- 9 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 10 Perugia
- 11 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
- 12 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 13 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 14 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 15 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 16 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 17 Areas in Milan
- 18 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 19 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 20 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 21 CDG much improved
- 22 St Denis Cathedral
- 23 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 24 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 25 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?