I've been checking out the forums for a while now, and have always seen helpful advice given. Below is an early draft of an itinerary of 4 weeks in April 2015. I know it seems rushed, but I really don't anticipate another chance to make it back for many years (although I'm still just a 20-something, going on a low-moderate budget couples trip). Thanks in advance for your help!
Here's the working line-up- apart from where flights are noted, we'll be traveling by train (I'm a little intimidated by renting/driving a car on our first trip):
London - 4 nights
Paris - 4 nights (including day trip to Normandy)
Prague - 3 nights
Munich - 3 nights (including day trip to Dachau)
Salzburg/Hallstatt - 1 night
Venice - 1 night
Florence - 3 nights (including day spent in Tuscan countryside)
Cinque Terre - 1 night
Rome - 4 nights (day trip to Pompeii/Naples)
Dubrovnik - 3 nights
Plitvice - 1 night
Zagreb - flight home
Alternatively, we would skip Prague and substitute taking the train from Paris to Munich, stopping over for 1-2 nights in Interlaken/Bern. Obviously taking the train through Switzerland with 1-2 days there is not experiencing it, but is it worth it for the scenery in April?
Anything you would cut/substitute? I'm really torn between seeing the "highlights" as it's my first time and trying to take a more Rick-Steves-esque Backdoor trip and go to more out of the way places. Finally, I'll preemptively make the argument that we're really good with train travel, and the time spent will be more like taking a break from being a tourist, but thoughts on how ambitious it is? (P.S. if you're making the argument that it's way too much- please tell me your opinion on what to skip!).
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona to Marseille (Toulon)
- 2 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 3 HELp with Milan /N Italy itinerary
- 4 Euro Quiz # 107 - Potpourri!
- 5 Is Chateau Latour in Medoc only for buyers?
- 6 Final Itinerary help
- 7 Finalizing Itinerary
- 8 A plea ... help me salvage (current) trip
- 9 Travelling From Seattle to Italy, Mid May
- 10 vegetarian friendly and kids friendly restaurents in venice and rome
- 11 Where to catch bus at Glasgow Airport
- 12 Paris in the Heat - Packing
- 13 Advice on Portugal for August honeymoon please
- 14 A road trip to Florence
- 15 Norway in Nutshell - weather
- 16 Italy,Austria,Germany driving vacation
- 17 Your thoughts on day trips out of Venice
- 18 Day Trip from London
- 19 Weekend destination in Ireland
- 20 ASADOR EXTEBARRI..and assorted related topics..questions..
- 21 Cochem or Beilstein
- 22 Scottish pounds where to exchange?
- 23 Amsterdam Internet cafe to print boarding pass
- 24 Bicycling in Tuscany - First Visit
- 25 wandering in venice