I've been checking out the forums for a while now, and have always seen helpful advice given. Below is an early draft of an itinerary of 4 weeks in April 2015. I know it seems rushed, but I really don't anticipate another chance to make it back for many years (although I'm still just a 20-something, going on a low-moderate budget couples trip). Thanks in advance for your help!
Here's the working line-up- apart from where flights are noted, we'll be traveling by train (I'm a little intimidated by renting/driving a car on our first trip):
London - 4 nights
Paris - 4 nights (including day trip to Normandy)
Prague - 3 nights
Munich - 3 nights (including day trip to Dachau)
Salzburg/Hallstatt - 1 night
Venice - 1 night
Florence - 3 nights (including day spent in Tuscan countryside)
Cinque Terre - 1 night
Rome - 4 nights (day trip to Pompeii/Naples)
Dubrovnik - 3 nights
Plitvice - 1 night
Zagreb - flight home
Alternatively, we would skip Prague and substitute taking the train from Paris to Munich, stopping over for 1-2 nights in Interlaken/Bern. Obviously taking the train through Switzerland with 1-2 days there is not experiencing it, but is it worth it for the scenery in April?
Anything you would cut/substitute? I'm really torn between seeing the "highlights" as it's my first time and trying to take a more Rick-Steves-esque Backdoor trip and go to more out of the way places. Finally, I'll preemptively make the argument that we're really good with train travel, and the time spent will be more like taking a break from being a tourist, but thoughts on how ambitious it is? (P.S. if you're making the argument that it's way too much- please tell me your opinion on what to skip!).
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 2 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 3 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 4 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 5 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 6 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 7 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 8 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 9 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 10 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 11 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 12 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 13 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 14 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 15 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 16 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 17 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 18 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 19 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 20 Bruges
- 21 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 22 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 23 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 24 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 25 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries