My boyfriend and I are flying into Salzburg on 6th December, out of Klagenfurt 11th December. I have accommodation booked in Salzburg on the night of the 6th, and am looking for two different spots to spend the rest of the time. We are keen to take the train down to Klagenfurt and want to find two different areas to spend a couple of nights along the way.
What we are looking for:
- Somewhere in the mountains, very likely to have snow, really picturesque and traditional, lots of wood chalets, perhaps a village not too touristy but lots of local charm. We don't want to ski but like places with an apres ski feel and with things going on. We have heard that Carinthia is lovely for this, with huts, Christmassy feel, non skiing winter activities, perhaps sleigh rides through the snow. Any ideas on an Alpine town or village that fits the bill?
- Somewhere nearish Klagenfurt to spend the last two nights, perhaps near a lake or Christmas markets. It doesn't need to be in the mountains but somewhere with things to do, nice place to stay. Not too far from the airport, again we're looking for a lovely setting, nice restaurants and somewhere nice and romantic.
We're looking for places that are quite good value, and not too far off the train route down to Klagenfurt from Salzburg. We won't have a car. Does anyone have ideas?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 2 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 3 Spain Itinerary advice please – Extremadura? Cadiz?
- 4 Provence Lavender fields in July
- 5 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 6 Help planning a driving trip in Eastern Europe in July
- 7 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 8 Transportation from Budapest to Krakow
- 9 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 10 Is Mljet a reasonable substitute for Korcula?
- 11 French Vacation in Mid-America
- 12 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 13 90 day rule with EU/Spain Visa
- 14 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 15 French Strike Chaos to Get Worse?
- 16 Too much for one day in Munich?
- 17 Germany / Austria in December with parents - weather question, please help!
- 18 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 19 Croatian islands
- 20 Italy, somewhere new - recommendations please.
- 21 Walking GPS?
- 22 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 23 Glasgow to Rosslyn Chapel-what to see?
- 24 10 days in Spain (Madrid and ???)
- 25 Florence airport costumes