My boyfriend and I are flying into Salzburg on 6th December, out of Klagenfurt 11th December. I have accommodation booked in Salzburg on the night of the 6th, and am looking for two different spots to spend the rest of the time. We are keen to take the train down to Klagenfurt and want to find two different areas to spend a couple of nights along the way.
What we are looking for:
- Somewhere in the mountains, very likely to have snow, really picturesque and traditional, lots of wood chalets, perhaps a village not too touristy but lots of local charm. We don't want to ski but like places with an apres ski feel and with things going on. We have heard that Carinthia is lovely for this, with huts, Christmassy feel, non skiing winter activities, perhaps sleigh rides through the snow. Any ideas on an Alpine town or village that fits the bill?
- Somewhere nearish Klagenfurt to spend the last two nights, perhaps near a lake or Christmas markets. It doesn't need to be in the mountains but somewhere with things to do, nice place to stay. Not too far from the airport, again we're looking for a lovely setting, nice restaurants and somewhere nice and romantic.
We're looking for places that are quite good value, and not too far off the train route down to Klagenfurt from Salzburg. We won't have a car. Does anyone have ideas?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 Months around Europe and the Balkans. Need help with itinerary!
- 2 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 3 Copenhagen to Oslo to Amsterdam: Are we nuts?
- 4 Rome
- 5 Booking hotels before trains
- 6 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 7 First time in France
- 8 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 9 What to expect over Christmas
- 10 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 11 Planning stages of trip to Andalusia
- 12 English Countryside
- 13 When is Pope's schedule released for 2017?
- 14 First time to London - couple for lodging
- 15 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 16 Vienna or Budapest?
- 17 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 18 Munich
- 19 Need help in travel planning
- 20 Paris---baguette question???
- 21 Portugal itinerary help
- 22 Puglia or La Langhe
- 23 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 24 Revised post- cruise itinerary
- 25 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano