My boyfriend and I are flying into Salzburg on 6th December, out of Klagenfurt 11th December. I have accommodation booked in Salzburg on the night of the 6th, and am looking for two different spots to spend the rest of the time. We are keen to take the train down to Klagenfurt and want to find two different areas to spend a couple of nights along the way.
What we are looking for:
- Somewhere in the mountains, very likely to have snow, really picturesque and traditional, lots of wood chalets, perhaps a village not too touristy but lots of local charm. We don't want to ski but like places with an apres ski feel and with things going on. We have heard that Carinthia is lovely for this, with huts, Christmassy feel, non skiing winter activities, perhaps sleigh rides through the snow. Any ideas on an Alpine town or village that fits the bill?
- Somewhere nearish Klagenfurt to spend the last two nights, perhaps near a lake or Christmas markets. It doesn't need to be in the mountains but somewhere with things to do, nice place to stay. Not too far from the airport, again we're looking for a lovely setting, nice restaurants and somewhere nice and romantic.
We're looking for places that are quite good value, and not too far off the train route down to Klagenfurt from Salzburg. We won't have a car. Does anyone have ideas?
Advice on December itinerary: Salzburg to Klagenfurt
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What to wear
- 2 Stay near Paris
- 3 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 4 A one-week car trip to Slovenia-Croatia (Bosnia?)
- 5 Fabulous Family Fearlesly Meet Lykians (reprint of 2010 trip)
- 6 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 7 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 8 Livorno to Florence from cruise ship
- 9 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 10 Madrid and London
- 11 Can I cancel 2 of 4 train tickets?
- 12 italy
- 13 Apartments in Verona and Bologna
- 14 Side trip from Geneva
- 15 Agritourism bed-and-breakfast in Normandy: Recommendations?
- 16 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 17 Anniversary Dinner in Paris
- 18 Cooking classes in Belgium
- 19 Eatwith - dine with locals
- 20 7 Nights in Paris
- 21 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 22 21 Days in Central Europe
- 23 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 24 Travel & Landscape Photography from around the world
- 25 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?