My boyfriend and I are flying into Salzburg on 6th December, out of Klagenfurt 11th December. I have accommodation booked in Salzburg on the night of the 6th, and am looking for two different spots to spend the rest of the time. We are keen to take the train down to Klagenfurt and want to find two different areas to spend a couple of nights along the way.
What we are looking for:
- Somewhere in the mountains, very likely to have snow, really picturesque and traditional, lots of wood chalets, perhaps a village not too touristy but lots of local charm. We don't want to ski but like places with an apres ski feel and with things going on. We have heard that Carinthia is lovely for this, with huts, Christmassy feel, non skiing winter activities, perhaps sleigh rides through the snow. Any ideas on an Alpine town or village that fits the bill?
- Somewhere nearish Klagenfurt to spend the last two nights, perhaps near a lake or Christmas markets. It doesn't need to be in the mountains but somewhere with things to do, nice place to stay. Not too far from the airport, again we're looking for a lovely setting, nice restaurants and somewhere nice and romantic.
We're looking for places that are quite good value, and not too far off the train route down to Klagenfurt from Salzburg. We won't have a car. Does anyone have ideas?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 2 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 3 Do not use MYIPB to ship from London
- 4 Best travelling Dordogne to Barcelona?
- 5 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 6 French restaurants
- 7 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 8 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 9 Scotland Trip
- 10 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 11 Croatia trip Planning
- 12 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 13 Europe for 5 days starting with Munich
- 14 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 15 Planning a European Trip
- 16 12 days trip to Amsterdam, Paris, germany and Swizerland
- 17 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 18 Trains in Alps and UK
- 19 13 N euro trip itinerary
- 20 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 21 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 22 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 23 Germany in December Trip Report
- 24 Cote d'Azur beach clubs
- 25 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris