I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on a trip I'll be taking in July. I have a conference in Graz (Austria) that ends on July 2nd. At that point I'll take a train back to Vienna to meet my girlfriend who will be arriving from our home in Winnipeg (Canada). We've both been to Europe only once, and that was a short trip with most of our time spent in France. We both share a love for the outdoors and great scenery, so we are hoping to incorporate a few day hikes into the trip.
July 2-5: Vienna
5-7: Zell am See
And I've got to ask the very common question I see on the boards: Train or car? I'm not especially concerned about cost comparisons, but it's July so I'm not sure how congested the roads will be. The plan would be to rent a car as I leave Vienna and arrive in Munich. I would really love to drive the Glossglockner road and I'm not sure how easy it would be to just rent one for the day. I'd love to go hike around Lake Oeschinen (Switzerland), but I don't know how I'd do that travelling by train. My initial plan is somewhat based on train routes. I'd consider avoiding Zurich (after seeing hotel prices) and maybe heading into the Black Forest area of Germany (e.g. Baden-Baden), but by train I think I need to go through Zurich. I'd love to hear from someone who has travelled the area in July/August to tell me if renting a car is a bad idea.
The only thing I've booked is my initial flight into Graz and departure from Munich. I'm wide open to any suggestions or thoughts you might have on this trip. Should I be travelling all the way to Zermatt or is my time better spent in the Austrian Alps? Thoughts on replacing Lucerne with Interlaken? Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 From Schipol to ?
- 2 Mirrors?
- 3 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 4 where do you look when you're trying to book a villa last minute?
- 5 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 6 Spanish Christmas season traditions
- 7 Advise on where to base in Ireland for 2 week trip
- 8 How to get from any stop on BE to any place in France
- 9 Two UK GTGs - Edinburgh 25 Aug., London 1 Sept.
- 10 London: favorite recent exhibits?
- 11 15 hour layover in London with children, should we leave the airport?
- 12 House/villa in Italy or France
- 13 Santorini Location
- 14 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 15 La Tavola Marche
- 16 Le Marche: Cartoceto, Fano...
- 17 Using O2 in Europe?
- 18 Montenegro in Sept/Oct
- 19 Italy for New Year's
- 20 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?
- 21 10 Days in Tuscany
- 22 Southern Spain - itinerary suggestions?
- 23 Coastal Causeway Route- Northern Ireland
- 24 Suggestions Algarve beachfront hotel?
- 25 Sacred Christian Places in Athens