I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on a trip I'll be taking in July. I have a conference in Graz (Austria) that ends on July 2nd. At that point I'll take a train back to Vienna to meet my girlfriend who will be arriving from our home in Winnipeg (Canada). We've both been to Europe only once, and that was a short trip with most of our time spent in France. We both share a love for the outdoors and great scenery, so we are hoping to incorporate a few day hikes into the trip.
July 2-5: Vienna
5-7: Zell am See
And I've got to ask the very common question I see on the boards: Train or car? I'm not especially concerned about cost comparisons, but it's July so I'm not sure how congested the roads will be. The plan would be to rent a car as I leave Vienna and arrive in Munich. I would really love to drive the Glossglockner road and I'm not sure how easy it would be to just rent one for the day. I'd love to go hike around Lake Oeschinen (Switzerland), but I don't know how I'd do that travelling by train. My initial plan is somewhat based on train routes. I'd consider avoiding Zurich (after seeing hotel prices) and maybe heading into the Black Forest area of Germany (e.g. Baden-Baden), but by train I think I need to go through Zurich. I'd love to hear from someone who has travelled the area in July/August to tell me if renting a car is a bad idea.
The only thing I've booked is my initial flight into Graz and departure from Munich. I'm wide open to any suggestions or thoughts you might have on this trip. Should I be travelling all the way to Zermatt or is my time better spent in the Austrian Alps? Thoughts on replacing Lucerne with Interlaken? Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Drumroll....I finally decided on a Roman Hotel!
- 2 Transportation from airport ot hotel in Istanbul
- 3 For art lovers in London next week
- 4 20-day tour arrangement in the UK
- 5 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 6 driving loop in Normandy
- 7 U K Shelves Ambitious Rail Improvements
- 8 One day in Paris!
- 9 Luggage in rental car while touring Normandie and Loire Valley
- 10 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 11 Lake Maggiore?
- 12 Bed & Breakfast in Paris for one night
- 13 Is it worth it to add Istanbul to a trip to Greece?
- 14 Bodensee: Ride from Bregenz to Arbon, Switzerland
- 15 French Basque country
- 16 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 17 Seeking help on my 12 days trip from Switzerland to Austria
- 18 Tales of the Texas Two; or, Ladies in London
- 19 Provence 5 days 4 night (3.5 full days) itinerary
- 20 Traveling around Castile-Leon
- 21 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 22 Night at MSM or Honfleur?
- 23 PAY ATTENTION AT TERMINI TRAIN STATION
- 24 Best way to deal with large, cash-only lodging bill - Amsterdam
- 25 Night life for 20 somethings: Madrid vs. Barcelona