I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on a trip I'll be taking in July. I have a conference in Graz (Austria) that ends on July 2nd. At that point I'll take a train back to Vienna to meet my girlfriend who will be arriving from our home in Winnipeg (Canada). We've both been to Europe only once, and that was a short trip with most of our time spent in France. We both share a love for the outdoors and great scenery, so we are hoping to incorporate a few day hikes into the trip.
July 2-5: Vienna
5-7: Zell am See
And I've got to ask the very common question I see on the boards: Train or car? I'm not especially concerned about cost comparisons, but it's July so I'm not sure how congested the roads will be. The plan would be to rent a car as I leave Vienna and arrive in Munich. I would really love to drive the Glossglockner road and I'm not sure how easy it would be to just rent one for the day. I'd love to go hike around Lake Oeschinen (Switzerland), but I don't know how I'd do that travelling by train. My initial plan is somewhat based on train routes. I'd consider avoiding Zurich (after seeing hotel prices) and maybe heading into the Black Forest area of Germany (e.g. Baden-Baden), but by train I think I need to go through Zurich. I'd love to hear from someone who has travelled the area in July/August to tell me if renting a car is a bad idea.
The only thing I've booked is my initial flight into Graz and departure from Munich. I'm wide open to any suggestions or thoughts you might have on this trip. Should I be travelling all the way to Zermatt or is my time better spent in the Austrian Alps? Thoughts on replacing Lucerne with Interlaken? Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 2 B&B suggestions for Dublin, Kinsale, Killarney, Ennis
- 3 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 4 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 5 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 6 Easiest London Airport for Transfer To/From Heathrow
- 7 Honeymoon in April-May 2017: Spain or Greece?
- 8 restaurants in Marais district
- 9 France & Italy, May or June
- 10 Northern Italy 11 days Milan in/out
- 11 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 12 Engadine Valley help
- 13 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 14 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 15 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 16 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 17 Honeymoon in Greece
- 18 Italy for Christmas Week
- 19 A Month stay in Southern France
- 20 Shoes in Scotland
- 21 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania
- 22 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 23 Question about Half Fare Cards
- 24 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 25 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa