I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on a trip I'll be taking in July. I have a conference in Graz (Austria) that ends on July 2nd. At that point I'll take a train back to Vienna to meet my girlfriend who will be arriving from our home in Winnipeg (Canada). We've both been to Europe only once, and that was a short trip with most of our time spent in France. We both share a love for the outdoors and great scenery, so we are hoping to incorporate a few day hikes into the trip.
July 2-5: Vienna
5-7: Zell am See
And I've got to ask the very common question I see on the boards: Train or car? I'm not especially concerned about cost comparisons, but it's July so I'm not sure how congested the roads will be. The plan would be to rent a car as I leave Vienna and arrive in Munich. I would really love to drive the Glossglockner road and I'm not sure how easy it would be to just rent one for the day. I'd love to go hike around Lake Oeschinen (Switzerland), but I don't know how I'd do that travelling by train. My initial plan is somewhat based on train routes. I'd consider avoiding Zurich (after seeing hotel prices) and maybe heading into the Black Forest area of Germany (e.g. Baden-Baden), but by train I think I need to go through Zurich. I'd love to hear from someone who has travelled the area in July/August to tell me if renting a car is a bad idea.
The only thing I've booked is my initial flight into Graz and departure from Munich. I'm wide open to any suggestions or thoughts you might have on this trip. Should I be travelling all the way to Zermatt or is my time better spent in the Austrian Alps? Thoughts on replacing Lucerne with Interlaken? Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Buy Quality fake passports, (email@example.com)
- 2 Strike - again in France Tomorrow
- 3 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 4 Shopping in Paris
- 5 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 6 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 7 Amalfi Coast with Kids- Where to stay?
- 8 Need help for itineray for Paris, Monaco, Rome, Florence 12 -14 days
- 9 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 10 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 11 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 12 December in Deutschland
- 13 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 14 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 15 Moscow and St Petersburg
- 16 cash or plastic in Greece
- 17 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 18 Rome and Venice in December
- 19 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 20 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 21 Please help with Itinerary draft for 29 days in France
- 22 Seeking Diverse Experiences in Western France – Please Critique Itinerary!
- 23 planning confusion
- 24 Costa Brava/Girona vs. Dali Museum/Girona Tours With Spanish Trails
- 25 Feedback on Spain Trip