I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on a trip I'll be taking in July. I have a conference in Graz (Austria) that ends on July 2nd. At that point I'll take a train back to Vienna to meet my girlfriend who will be arriving from our home in Winnipeg (Canada). We've both been to Europe only once, and that was a short trip with most of our time spent in France. We both share a love for the outdoors and great scenery, so we are hoping to incorporate a few day hikes into the trip.
July 2-5: Vienna
5-7: Zell am See
And I've got to ask the very common question I see on the boards: Train or car? I'm not especially concerned about cost comparisons, but it's July so I'm not sure how congested the roads will be. The plan would be to rent a car as I leave Vienna and arrive in Munich. I would really love to drive the Glossglockner road and I'm not sure how easy it would be to just rent one for the day. I'd love to go hike around Lake Oeschinen (Switzerland), but I don't know how I'd do that travelling by train. My initial plan is somewhat based on train routes. I'd consider avoiding Zurich (after seeing hotel prices) and maybe heading into the Black Forest area of Germany (e.g. Baden-Baden), but by train I think I need to go through Zurich. I'd love to hear from someone who has travelled the area in July/August to tell me if renting a car is a bad idea.
The only thing I've booked is my initial flight into Graz and departure from Munich. I'm wide open to any suggestions or thoughts you might have on this trip. Should I be travelling all the way to Zermatt or is my time better spent in the Austrian Alps? Thoughts on replacing Lucerne with Interlaken? Thank you in advance!
Advice on an 18 day trip starting in Vienna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 2 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 3 3 weeks (actually 20 nights!) in Spain
- 4 booking hotels on trip advisor vs booking.com, etc
- 5 Portugal epidemic warning (November 2014)!
- 6 Italian Lakes
- 7 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 8 Day trips from Lisbon
- 9 Olive oil disaster in 2014
- 10 No Pooh in Poland
- 11 Another Paris apartment and Navigo Dcouverte thread
- 12 Five Days With Rabbies in Devon and Cornwall
- 13 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 14 Help with a short post-cruise stay in (potentially) Sorrento
- 15 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 16 Venice/Rome/Florence/London
- 17 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 18 Taormina Sicily
- 19 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 20 Which West & East European Countries give the best bang for the buck?
- 21 Gstaad, Switzerland, am I missing anything?
- 22 So that is why German hotels have such expensive WIFI
- 23 Naxos in May
- 24 European Travel websites
- 25 Help with Tuscany for a week late May/early June