I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on a trip I'll be taking in July. I have a conference in Graz (Austria) that ends on July 2nd. At that point I'll take a train back to Vienna to meet my girlfriend who will be arriving from our home in Winnipeg (Canada). We've both been to Europe only once, and that was a short trip with most of our time spent in France. We both share a love for the outdoors and great scenery, so we are hoping to incorporate a few day hikes into the trip.
July 2-5: Vienna
5-7: Zell am See
And I've got to ask the very common question I see on the boards: Train or car? I'm not especially concerned about cost comparisons, but it's July so I'm not sure how congested the roads will be. The plan would be to rent a car as I leave Vienna and arrive in Munich. I would really love to drive the Glossglockner road and I'm not sure how easy it would be to just rent one for the day. I'd love to go hike around Lake Oeschinen (Switzerland), but I don't know how I'd do that travelling by train. My initial plan is somewhat based on train routes. I'd consider avoiding Zurich (after seeing hotel prices) and maybe heading into the Black Forest area of Germany (e.g. Baden-Baden), but by train I think I need to go through Zurich. I'd love to hear from someone who has travelled the area in July/August to tell me if renting a car is a bad idea.
The only thing I've booked is my initial flight into Graz and departure from Munich. I'm wide open to any suggestions or thoughts you might have on this trip. Should I be travelling all the way to Zermatt or is my time better spent in the Austrian Alps? Thoughts on replacing Lucerne with Interlaken? Thank you in advance!
Advice on an 18 day trip starting in Vienna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Passport not stamped on entry into Rome, hassle exiting Frankfurt
- 2 Naples to Paris to Barcelona in November
- 3 How much luggage?????
- 4 City Night Line from Paris to Munich
- 5 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 6 6 weeks Spain Itinerary
- 7 Madrid: Historic Homes & Gardens
- 8 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 9 How to schedule train connection from Frankfurt Airport
- 10 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 11 ITALO trains need help
- 12 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 13 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 14 plug adapters ITALY
- 15 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 16 Iwan2go went to the Dordogne
- 17 Need advice please. First time visiting France next year
- 18 Over 40,000 Photos Used To Create A Time-Lapse Video Of Paris
- 19 Paris in black and white
- 20 10 days to Explore Europe
- 21 Transfer Milan airport
- 22 Scandinavia and RCL 8 Night Norwegian Fjords Cruise 2015
- 23 17 days in Europe: a family vacation
- 24 Short trip to Venice, with (some oddball) tours
- 25 Renewing our vows in Venice