I was hoping to get some advice and suggestions on a trip I'll be taking in July. I have a conference in Graz (Austria) that ends on July 2nd. At that point I'll take a train back to Vienna to meet my girlfriend who will be arriving from our home in Winnipeg (Canada). We've both been to Europe only once, and that was a short trip with most of our time spent in France. We both share a love for the outdoors and great scenery, so we are hoping to incorporate a few day hikes into the trip.
July 2-5: Vienna
5-7: Zell am See
And I've got to ask the very common question I see on the boards: Train or car? I'm not especially concerned about cost comparisons, but it's July so I'm not sure how congested the roads will be. The plan would be to rent a car as I leave Vienna and arrive in Munich. I would really love to drive the Glossglockner road and I'm not sure how easy it would be to just rent one for the day. I'd love to go hike around Lake Oeschinen (Switzerland), but I don't know how I'd do that travelling by train. My initial plan is somewhat based on train routes. I'd consider avoiding Zurich (after seeing hotel prices) and maybe heading into the Black Forest area of Germany (e.g. Baden-Baden), but by train I think I need to go through Zurich. I'd love to hear from someone who has travelled the area in July/August to tell me if renting a car is a bad idea.
The only thing I've booked is my initial flight into Graz and departure from Munich. I'm wide open to any suggestions or thoughts you might have on this trip. Should I be travelling all the way to Zermatt or is my time better spent in the Austrian Alps? Thoughts on replacing Lucerne with Interlaken? Thank you in advance!
Advice on an 18 day trip starting in Vienna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Berlin hotel convenient by transit to Berlin Messe
- 2 ideas for Portugal please
- 3 When to buy train tickets to Budapest and Prague from Vienna
- 4 Advice on Euro-Trip Itinerary - Spain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy
- 5 Does anyone know how Trenitalia or Trenord list the Vivalto trains?
- 6 Netherlands-Belgium-Northern France Itinerary Help
- 7 Places for Solo Traveling Near Paris
- 8 Day on the Rhine
- 9 French Government Endorses Airbnb in Paris...
- 10 4 days in the Yonne (Burgundy) with kids - itinerary suggestions?
- 11 Italy/ Spain in December
- 12 Please help me give good travel advice
- 13 Greek Island honeymoon
- 14 Calling out to all Spain lovers! 2 weeks in mid Sep - need some new ideas!
- 15 Help with driving suggestions in Delphi.
- 16 Spain and Portugal in February
- 17 Spain Itinerary
- 18 Best of Southern France and Spain
- 19 driving barcelona to madrid in 2-3 days- itinerary help. wine stops?
- 20 Has anyone bought real estate in Croatia?
- 21 Cooking Holidays Valencia
- 22 Car Rentals in Athens
- 23 One night for dinner in Rome
- 24 Help with Greece Itinerary for Honeymoon!
- 25 Berlin Itinerary