I will be in Dusseldorf on business, starting week of 27th January, and will take the opportunity to spend the following weekend in Amsterdam, based on excellent advice from PalanQ (many thanks PalanQ!).
I can definitely do the Saturday and Sunday, and may be able to do Monday as well.
I have ordered books from Amazon, which should arrive on Thursday.
In the meantime, I have reviewed information on Fodors, and have decided on my ‘Musts’ and ‘Likes’. I’d appreciate your help in planning the trip, particularly to do with timing – I always try to do too much, in too short a time! Please feel free to critique, and help me make the best use of my time.
Museums: Total time – 14 hours: Already there is a problem, as I could spend both Saturday & Sunday in the Museums!
- Rijksmuseum: 3 hours minimum (Committed to this one, I could spend an entire week there)
- Van Gogh Museum: 2 hours (could shorten it)
- Hermitage: 2 hours (Seems interesting)
- Stedelijk: 2 hours (Could skip it)
- THE TROPPEN MUSEUM: 2 hours (Really interested in seeing this one)
- Our Lord of the Attic: 1 Hour (Committed to this one)
- Jewish Museum: 2 hours (Committed to this one)
Canal Cruise: Definitely want to do it: How long does it take – I assume about 3 hours? Can you recommend a good one?
Walking: I want to walk as much as I can, if the weather is forgiving. The books I have ordered will provide good walking tours which I can do on my own. Should I consider an organized tour? I assume a walking tour of major sites will take about a full day?
Food: On previous visits, several years ago, I had the most magnificent Indonesian food. I want to eat Indonesian food for lunch and dinner on this trip. Please share your favourites.
Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.
Bes regards ... Ger
Advice on Amsterdam Weekend: 2-3 days
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 November or October for Andalucia/Portugal?
- 2 Stay in Venice
- 3 Apartments (via airbnb) or Hotels / B&Bs in Italy
- 4 Andalucia itinerary help
- 5 LHR to Victoria by Tube - Best Place to Transfer
- 6 Escher Museum The Hague
- 7 Mont St. Michele?
- 8 Gift for my European Friends- How about Hershey?
- 9 Southwestern England
- 10 French Immersion Advice Needed
- 11 A taste of Scotland and Ireland
- 12 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 13 London, Vienna, Prague - theater recommendations
- 14 Look for Itinerary Advice- Athens, Spetses, Hydra, Naxos, Santorini
- 15 Budget for eating out in Italy, France and Berlin?
- 16 France Tourisme - Is it a reliable tour company?
- 17 Prague to Dubrovnik Itinerary Suggestions wanted
- 18 Drone video of the north of the Netherlands
- 19 lauterbrunnen lodging, down to 2 choices
- 20 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 21 Restaurants near Pantheon in Rome
- 22 Berlin: evening dining
- 23 bicycling garmisch oberammergau fussen
- 24 10-day Europe Trip (5-15June)
- 25 Immigration Procedures