My husband and I are taking our honeymoon in Europe and will be visiting London, Switzerland, and Italy (in that order) in August. We have devoted about 2.5/ 3 days to Switzerland, where our main focus will be on seeing the beautiful Alps. With that in mind, I would appreciate some advice.
Upon landing in Zurich at about 4 pm on a Monday, do you advise heading straight from the airport in Zurich to Wengen (where we would like to stay to see the Alps) , and staying there for the entire time to maximize time spent in the mountains, or do you think it's worthwhile to spend a bit of time in Zurich (Lake Zurich, the Old City, Bahnofstrasse, etc) and Lucerne (Mt Rigi, Titlis) before heading to Wengen? (e.g. touring Zurich the day we land, then staying the night (monday evening) in Lucerne, exploring Lucerne/Titlis the next day (Tuesday) then heading to Wengen Tuesday night through Thursday morning.)
We are leaving to Milan-Venice that Thursday morning (to take advantage of the scenic route to Italy, which takes around 8 hours), so in actuality it would only be two full days in Switzerland I know it's not much....
Is Lucerne/Zurich worthwhile to see, even if it means detracting from limited time spent in the Alps?
Would appreciate any advise, please!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Electrical Power Conversion
- 2 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 3 Douro Valley in January?
- 4 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 5 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 6 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 7 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 8 Switzerland Trip Report 7 Days September End
- 9 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 10 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 11 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 12 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 13 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
- 14 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 15 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 16 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 17 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 18 Paris to Italy
- 19 Travel from Lisbon to Amsterdam to Boston
- 20 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 21 Spanish Medical Providers
- 22 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 23 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 24 Barcelona alternative
- 25 wondering if this trip too ambitious