I'm going to Spain for 11 days in the beginning of September, and am worried about being able to cover the cost of hotels plus hold fees using my debit card.
Here is my situation: I have two debit cards I am using for the trip, one (largely) for day-to-day cash (Bank of America), and another I was planning to use exclusively to pay for lodging (Chase). Both are Visa cards, and should (hopefully!) work outside the US. Why don't you just use a credit card, you say? Well, my credit is not the best, and the only card I have has a limit of $500, and I've been rejected for other cards besides secured ones. I'm staying at a total of three hotels, and I'm worried that even though I will have enough in my "hotel account", it will be tied up in holds and I won't be able to pay for my 3rd hotel (on the morning of my flight back to the US, no less!).
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure I can pay for my hotel. Here are some options I've thought of, please let me know what you think, and if you know of any better options for my situation, I'd love to hear them:
1) Get a secured Visa from my bank: Does anyone know if hotel holds are refunded more quickly than for debit cards? Can these cards be "reloaded" on short notice if needed?
2) Alternate using my two debit cards for paying hotels: With holds, this might mean I have a shortage of spending money
3) Withdraw money each day from an ATM to cover the bill and hope that I don't make a pickpocket's day on my way back to the hotel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 2 road trip through scotland
- 3 Poland to Austria In December
- 4 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 5 Requesting information about Flytolake/Lariobus
- 6 Agriturismo or small hotel between Milan & Cinque Terre
- 7 Thinking about the Fjords
- 8 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 9 Globus Iberian Tour
- 10 Where to eat in Rome?
- 11 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 12 Alsace to Austria?
- 13 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 14 base for Andalucia
- 15 Associations with Russian cities
- 16 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 17 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 18 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 19 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 20 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 21 Driving in Southern Italy - outside the beaten track
- 22 barcelona neighborhood
- 23 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 24 LHR Connection Time and Fast Track
- 25 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
Advice needed: paying for hotels without (major) credit card