I'm going to Spain for 11 days in the beginning of September, and am worried about being able to cover the cost of hotels plus hold fees using my debit card.
Here is my situation: I have two debit cards I am using for the trip, one (largely) for day-to-day cash (Bank of America), and another I was planning to use exclusively to pay for lodging (Chase). Both are Visa cards, and should (hopefully!) work outside the US. Why don't you just use a credit card, you say? Well, my credit is not the best, and the only card I have has a limit of $500, and I've been rejected for other cards besides secured ones. I'm staying at a total of three hotels, and I'm worried that even though I will have enough in my "hotel account", it will be tied up in holds and I won't be able to pay for my 3rd hotel (on the morning of my flight back to the US, no less!).
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure I can pay for my hotel. Here are some options I've thought of, please let me know what you think, and if you know of any better options for my situation, I'd love to hear them:
1) Get a secured Visa from my bank: Does anyone know if hotel holds are refunded more quickly than for debit cards? Can these cards be "reloaded" on short notice if needed?
2) Alternate using my two debit cards for paying hotels: With holds, this might mean I have a shortage of spending money
3) Withdraw money each day from an ATM to cover the bill and hope that I don't make a pickpocket's day on my way back to the hotel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hi altitude limitations in Switzerland
- 2 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 3 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 4 Capri, Amalfi Coast, Naples in late June/early July
- 5 5 hours in Genoa or next to Genoa?
- 6 St Petersburg 3 day Shore Tours from Cruise
- 7 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 8 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 9 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 10 New Dublin Museum
- 11 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 12 AVE Train ticket purchase in Spain
- 13 Sentimental Journey
- 14 Cost of Van from CDG
- 15 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 16 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 17 Bus to Cadaques ?
- 18 To St. Pancras at stupid-o'clock: how would you do it?
- 19 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 20 France: advice on where to go with young kids
- 21 Day tour in Kilkenny
- 22 Trip to London with side trip to Wales/daytrip?
- 23 Solo backpacking for 5 weeks
- 24 Help planning a driving trip in Eastern Europe in July
- 25 German Train travel
Advice needed: paying for hotels without (major) credit card