I'm going to Spain for 11 days in the beginning of September, and am worried about being able to cover the cost of hotels plus hold fees using my debit card.
Here is my situation: I have two debit cards I am using for the trip, one (largely) for day-to-day cash (Bank of America), and another I was planning to use exclusively to pay for lodging (Chase). Both are Visa cards, and should (hopefully!) work outside the US. Why don't you just use a credit card, you say? Well, my credit is not the best, and the only card I have has a limit of $500, and I've been rejected for other cards besides secured ones. I'm staying at a total of three hotels, and I'm worried that even though I will have enough in my "hotel account", it will be tied up in holds and I won't be able to pay for my 3rd hotel (on the morning of my flight back to the US, no less!).
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure I can pay for my hotel. Here are some options I've thought of, please let me know what you think, and if you know of any better options for my situation, I'd love to hear them:
1) Get a secured Visa from my bank: Does anyone know if hotel holds are refunded more quickly than for debit cards? Can these cards be "reloaded" on short notice if needed?
2) Alternate using my two debit cards for paying hotels: With holds, this might mean I have a shortage of spending money
3) Withdraw money each day from an ATM to cover the bill and hope that I don't make a pickpocket's day on my way back to the hotel
Advice needed: paying for hotels without (major) credit card
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris - Cochem - Cologne - Paris
- 2 Day Trip from Paris? Versailles - go or no? Other ideas . . .
- 3 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 4 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 5 Best cheap airport hotel/hostel in Madrid?
- 6 Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza - 1 week. Seeking lodging, itinerary suggestions.
- 7 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 8 Riga 2014
- 9 Albania by bus in 10 days??
- 10 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 11 What area of Berlin is best for a first time visitor?
- 12 How Do I call the US from Italy?
- 13 Itinerary: 13 day trip to Greece
- 14 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 15 Back home problems with sim card
- 16 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 17 Budapest
- 18 Bikerscott & Jamikins in Portugal 2010/2011
- 19 Budapest--baggage storage
- 20 Which hostel in Cinque Terre?
- 21 sim card for Prague, Budapest, and Vienna
- 22 Taxi in Rome from airport to city
- 23 How to split nine days on Crete?
- 24 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 25 Reviews on Adriatic Travel Agency?