I'm going to Spain for 11 days in the beginning of September, and am worried about being able to cover the cost of hotels plus hold fees using my debit card.
Here is my situation: I have two debit cards I am using for the trip, one (largely) for day-to-day cash (Bank of America), and another I was planning to use exclusively to pay for lodging (Chase). Both are Visa cards, and should (hopefully!) work outside the US. Why don't you just use a credit card, you say? Well, my credit is not the best, and the only card I have has a limit of $500, and I've been rejected for other cards besides secured ones. I'm staying at a total of three hotels, and I'm worried that even though I will have enough in my "hotel account", it will be tied up in holds and I won't be able to pay for my 3rd hotel (on the morning of my flight back to the US, no less!).
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure I can pay for my hotel. Here are some options I've thought of, please let me know what you think, and if you know of any better options for my situation, I'd love to hear them:
1) Get a secured Visa from my bank: Does anyone know if hotel holds are refunded more quickly than for debit cards? Can these cards be "reloaded" on short notice if needed?
2) Alternate using my two debit cards for paying hotels: With holds, this might mean I have a shortage of spending money
3) Withdraw money each day from an ATM to cover the bill and hope that I don't make a pickpocket's day on my way back to the hotel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 English countryside help (Cotswolds and Bath?)
- 2 MaiTaiTom & PBS...Poldark & Chavenage House
- 3 Is my Scotland itinerary doable?
- 4 5 days in Paris
- 5 Frankfurt to Munich - One day and night stop???
- 6 PAY ATTENTION AT TERMINI TRAIN STATION
- 7 Referendum in Greece
- 8 Reserving Trains During the Off-Season
- 9 Questions regarding currency exhange
- 10 Three girls in Naples
- 11 If Greece exits
- 12 Lovely naples
- 13 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 14 Palace Versaille - worth the lines ?
- 15 Luggage in rental car while touring Normandie and Loire Valley
- 16 €2500 for full day boating outing on Amalfi coast?
- 17 Italy
- 18 Drumroll....I finally decided on a Roman Hotel!
- 19 American Express card for car rental with AutoEurope or Kemwel?
- 20 Fall trip to The Netherlands and Belgium
- 21 I want to buy a European flat iron
- 22 Wurzburg, Heidelberg, or Frankfurt after leaving Rothenburg ob der Tauber?
- 23 Normandy Trip Report Day #1 of my Month Stay
- 24 Has anyone ever booked a Rome food tour with Elizabeth Minchilli?
- 25 Help! College daughter's 1st day in Nerja, Spain/converter broke!!
Advice needed: paying for hotels without (major) credit card