I'm going to Spain for 11 days in the beginning of September, and am worried about being able to cover the cost of hotels plus hold fees using my debit card.
Here is my situation: I have two debit cards I am using for the trip, one (largely) for day-to-day cash (Bank of America), and another I was planning to use exclusively to pay for lodging (Chase). Both are Visa cards, and should (hopefully!) work outside the US. Why don't you just use a credit card, you say? Well, my credit is not the best, and the only card I have has a limit of $500, and I've been rejected for other cards besides secured ones. I'm staying at a total of three hotels, and I'm worried that even though I will have enough in my "hotel account", it will be tied up in holds and I won't be able to pay for my 3rd hotel (on the morning of my flight back to the US, no less!).
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure I can pay for my hotel. Here are some options I've thought of, please let me know what you think, and if you know of any better options for my situation, I'd love to hear them:
1) Get a secured Visa from my bank: Does anyone know if hotel holds are refunded more quickly than for debit cards? Can these cards be "reloaded" on short notice if needed?
2) Alternate using my two debit cards for paying hotels: With holds, this might mean I have a shortage of spending money
3) Withdraw money each day from an ATM to cover the bill and hope that I don't make a pickpocket's day on my way back to the hotel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hp printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482:3831 Technical SUPP0RT Care
- 2 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 3 Switzerland in October
- 4 HP Printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482:3831 Technical SUPP0RT Care
- 5 2 days in Lugano area
- 6 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 7 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 8 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 9 Tuscany First Time
- 10 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 11 Short Trip in Spain taggin along work trip
- 12 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 13 Recommendations
- 14 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 15 Milan/Venice/Florence in October?
- 16 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 17 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 18 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 19 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 20 Italy in January?
- 21 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 22 Paris- restaurant
- 23 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 24 4 nights in Provence, advice
- 25 Iceland car rental agencies
Advice needed: paying for hotels without (major) credit card