I'm going to Spain for 11 days in the beginning of September, and am worried about being able to cover the cost of hotels plus hold fees using my debit card.
Here is my situation: I have two debit cards I am using for the trip, one (largely) for day-to-day cash (Bank of America), and another I was planning to use exclusively to pay for lodging (Chase). Both are Visa cards, and should (hopefully!) work outside the US. Why don't you just use a credit card, you say? Well, my credit is not the best, and the only card I have has a limit of $500, and I've been rejected for other cards besides secured ones. I'm staying at a total of three hotels, and I'm worried that even though I will have enough in my "hotel account", it will be tied up in holds and I won't be able to pay for my 3rd hotel (on the morning of my flight back to the US, no less!).
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure I can pay for my hotel. Here are some options I've thought of, please let me know what you think, and if you know of any better options for my situation, I'd love to hear them:
1) Get a secured Visa from my bank: Does anyone know if hotel holds are refunded more quickly than for debit cards? Can these cards be "reloaded" on short notice if needed?
2) Alternate using my two debit cards for paying hotels: With holds, this might mean I have a shortage of spending money
3) Withdraw money each day from an ATM to cover the bill and hope that I don't make a pickpocket's day on my way back to the hotel
Advice needed: paying for hotels without (major) credit card
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 2 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 3 Best Location for Car Pickup in Naples
- 4 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 5 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 6 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 7 Three ferries to Mull
- 8 Has anyone tried Athens Welcome Pickups?
- 9 Transportation from Athens Airport to Syntagma
- 10 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 11 Airport ATMs
- 12 American Express
- 13 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 14 San Sebastian, Spain and where else?!
- 15 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 16 MY OWN physique are not That attractive
- 17 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 18 Siena - Pienza - Montepulciano
- 19 Transferwise: My latest experience in currency exchange
- 20 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 21 Which european city?
- 22 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 23 I lost the thread to respond about th Arles Amphetheatre
- 24 Dordogne or Nantes and La Rochelle
- 25 All Set To Go!!