I'm going to Spain for 11 days in the beginning of September, and am worried about being able to cover the cost of hotels plus hold fees using my debit card.
Here is my situation: I have two debit cards I am using for the trip, one (largely) for day-to-day cash (Bank of America), and another I was planning to use exclusively to pay for lodging (Chase). Both are Visa cards, and should (hopefully!) work outside the US. Why don't you just use a credit card, you say? Well, my credit is not the best, and the only card I have has a limit of $500, and I've been rejected for other cards besides secured ones. I'm staying at a total of three hotels, and I'm worried that even though I will have enough in my "hotel account", it will be tied up in holds and I won't be able to pay for my 3rd hotel (on the morning of my flight back to the US, no less!).
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure I can pay for my hotel. Here are some options I've thought of, please let me know what you think, and if you know of any better options for my situation, I'd love to hear them:
1) Get a secured Visa from my bank: Does anyone know if hotel holds are refunded more quickly than for debit cards? Can these cards be "reloaded" on short notice if needed?
2) Alternate using my two debit cards for paying hotels: With holds, this might mean I have a shortage of spending money
3) Withdraw money each day from an ATM to cover the bill and hope that I don't make a pickpocket's day on my way back to the hotel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 This determination is not going to remorse
- 2 the time have bought to always be accompanied
- 3 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 4 Luxury Apartment Rental in Rome
- 5 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 6 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 7 Trip summary: London, England, July 2016
- 8 Manchester (MAN) vs. Heathrow
- 9 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 10 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 11 Safe to bring jewelry onboard
- 12 Verona and Lake Garda
- 13 20 Days in Europe
- 14 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 15 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 16 Andalucia in December
- 17 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 18 the ultimate trip report Barcelona
- 19 Almalfi coast late March? Or Piedmont?
- 20 8 days Skiing, City and Christmas Markets in Central Europe in late Nov
- 21 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 22 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 23 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 24 4 days in switzerland
- 25 European Cooking Secrets
Advice needed: paying for hotels without (major) credit card