I'm going to Spain for 11 days in the beginning of September, and am worried about being able to cover the cost of hotels plus hold fees using my debit card.
Here is my situation: I have two debit cards I am using for the trip, one (largely) for day-to-day cash (Bank of America), and another I was planning to use exclusively to pay for lodging (Chase). Both are Visa cards, and should (hopefully!) work outside the US. Why don't you just use a credit card, you say? Well, my credit is not the best, and the only card I have has a limit of $500, and I've been rejected for other cards besides secured ones. I'm staying at a total of three hotels, and I'm worried that even though I will have enough in my "hotel account", it will be tied up in holds and I won't be able to pay for my 3rd hotel (on the morning of my flight back to the US, no less!).
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure I can pay for my hotel. Here are some options I've thought of, please let me know what you think, and if you know of any better options for my situation, I'd love to hear them:
1) Get a secured Visa from my bank: Does anyone know if hotel holds are refunded more quickly than for debit cards? Can these cards be "reloaded" on short notice if needed?
2) Alternate using my two debit cards for paying hotels: With holds, this might mean I have a shortage of spending money
3) Withdraw money each day from an ATM to cover the bill and hope that I don't make a pickpocket's day on my way back to the hotel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 2 Imbros Gorge
- 3 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 4 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 5 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 6 Bus from Budva to Kotor
- 7 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 8 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 9 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 10 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 11 Itinerary Paris to Dordogne +/- Loire??
- 12 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 13 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 14 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 15 How the kids age calculated
- 16 Help required with Itinerary
- 17 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 18 Paris Navigo weekly Pass
- 19 Slovenia & Croatia Itinerary Feedback
- 20 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 21 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 22 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 23 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 24 Suggestions needed for our trip to Austria & Switzerland in October
- 25 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
Advice needed: paying for hotels without (major) credit card