We are an Australian couple (husband 63 and wife 45) who are planning a four year trip to Europe and the United Kingdom. We are aware of the Shengen rules, we will rotate between Schengen and non Shengen countries each 90 days. We have traveled quite extensively over the last ten years and have spent considerable time driving in Europe.
Our plan takes one of two forms, either we will buy a campervan/motorhome (as small as we can get away with that is self contained with toilet and shower), or base ourselves in one month to six week apartment rentals and explore out from there via trains/buses.
The advice that I’m looking for at this stage is general, I’ve found a few campervan/motorhome sites that assist with lower value vehicles, I’m aware of campgrounds, and restrictions in and around large cities. I guess what I’m looking for is any information that may be really useful in the big picture planning.
This is a long term goal and dream for both of us, all our savings will go toward it, so my biggest question that I need help with, can anyone assist with budgets. Optimally, I’d like to keep it under E100 per day, but regardless the cheaper the better. We wouldn’t be driving great distances each day, wouldn’t be eating out a lot, we’d be going to the big attractions and some museums and art galleries, but not many. We love food, we love slow travel, we love different cultures.
Looking forward to any input from any more experienced travellers out there, thank you, Melissa
PS Hope I haven't left any pertinent information out, please let me know.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland itinerary help please
- 2 No Periods in British Written English!
- 3 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 4 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 5 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 6 Hotel Dauphine. Paris.
- 7 Bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar
- 8 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 9 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 10 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 11 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 12 First time in Bulgaria
- 13 Question about Alsa Bus from Cordoba to Granada
- 14 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 15 Alps Drive
- 16 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 17 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 18 St Denis Cathedral
- 19 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 20 Paris cooking classes
- 21 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 22 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 23 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 24 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 25 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
Advice needed for extended European/United Kingdom trip for two Australians