Hi all-husband is kindly allowing me to choose a location in Europe for the two of us to spend about 10 days sometime this Spring(just found out that he can get the time away from work). I am fascinated by Amsterdam, in part due to the amazing report done by your own PalenQ(and I still haven't gotten all the way through the report yet). Is late April/early May a good time of year to visit? I would love some advice on the best area of the city to stay in for walking about, catching public transpo, getting to sights easily, suggestions for good restaurants to try & sights we shouldn't miss. We are also thinking of taking the last few days of our trip to visit either Antwerp, Gent, & Bruges or some of the Dutch countryside. Any recommendations for must-see special little towns? Is there some other area that anyone has enjoyed more? I haven't gotten far in my research yet so I'll just ask if we would need a car or could we take trains to most of these areas? Not being too good at planning trips, we are open to any & all suggestions and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer & advise. Oh & some background-we are a "young" 50-something hippie type couple(as our 3 children have dubbed us)who are avid photographers, don't mind walking or biking, love new foods, museums & old churches, local culture, history & anything quirky. Will be flying from East Coast of USA, most likely in & out of Amsterdam. Thanks again!
Advice Needed-1st Timers to Amsterdam
- 1 Easyjet luggage/ baggage
- 2 Istanbul Hotels
- 3 Help with Greece+Istanbul Itinerary
- 4 Florence to nice- help
- 5 Ile de Re or Bassin d'Archachon at end of July
- 6 What is the best food in France?
- 7 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 8 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 9 UK Trip Report So Far....
- 10 Amsterdam to Chamonix road trip
- 11 Santorini-Nafplio-Delphi-Athens Help
- 12 Ireland's Murphy's Pub's
- 13 Where to stay in London in July
- 14 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 15 Swiss visit - Mürren for Berner Oberland and Chur? Sargans? for Engadin hub
- 16 Loire Valley & Brittany - recommendations?
- 17 Hiking in Germany/Innsbruck/Salzburg and where else?
- 18 Slovenia/Northern Croatia in mid-August - hotel and other advice?
- 19 This is a great book if you are visiting Venice
- 20 ferry to Harwich
- 21 Barcelona experts PLEASE pick which of these 2,apartments I should rent
- 22 Reporting from Paris May 12-25
- 23 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 24 Berlin Hotels
- 25 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions