Hi all-husband is kindly allowing me to choose a location in Europe for the two of us to spend about 10 days sometime this Spring(just found out that he can get the time away from work). I am fascinated by Amsterdam, in part due to the amazing report done by your own PalenQ(and I still haven't gotten all the way through the report yet). Is late April/early May a good time of year to visit? I would love some advice on the best area of the city to stay in for walking about, catching public transpo, getting to sights easily, suggestions for good restaurants to try & sights we shouldn't miss. We are also thinking of taking the last few days of our trip to visit either Antwerp, Gent, & Bruges or some of the Dutch countryside. Any recommendations for must-see special little towns? Is there some other area that anyone has enjoyed more? I haven't gotten far in my research yet so I'll just ask if we would need a car or could we take trains to most of these areas? Not being too good at planning trips, we are open to any & all suggestions and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer & advise. Oh & some background-we are a "young" 50-something hippie type couple(as our 3 children have dubbed us)who are avid photographers, don't mind walking or biking, love new foods, museums & old churches, local culture, history & anything quirky. Will be flying from East Coast of USA, most likely in & out of Amsterdam. Thanks again!
Advice Needed-1st Timers to Amsterdam
- 1 Montepulciano faves
- 2 Going to London for the first time at the end of May ALONE
- 3 6.5 hour layover in Lisbon, Portugal
- 4 Three nights in London, two nights somewhere else, help?
- 5 Cuenca or Toledo
- 6 car rental agency near train station in Firenze
- 7 Should We Do Segovia With only 2 1/2 Days in Madrid?
- 8 Dining in Rapallo and Camogli
- 9 Cinque Terre or More Tuscan Villages?
- 10 Paris trip report
- 11 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 12 Reporting from Paris May 12-25
- 13 Parking in Florence, Italy
- 14 PARIS: apartment for a family of 4. Could use your help.
- 15 When is the best time to buy train tickets/where?
- 16 Trains in Italy
- 17 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 18 Scotland. Cawdor Castle , Inverness
- 19 I Need To Vent!
- 20 Ireland from Shannon to Cork
- 21 Planning a honeymoon in Spain - most romantic areas??
- 22 1st time in Europe - Please critique our itinerary
- 23 Where can we go from Genoa for three days
- 24 June Garden Event at Hever Castle.
- 25 Cinque Terre or Lake Como August - 3 nights