Hi all-husband is kindly allowing me to choose a location in Europe for the two of us to spend about 10 days sometime this Spring(just found out that he can get the time away from work). I am fascinated by Amsterdam, in part due to the amazing report done by your own PalenQ(and I still haven't gotten all the way through the report yet). Is late April/early May a good time of year to visit? I would love some advice on the best area of the city to stay in for walking about, catching public transpo, getting to sights easily, suggestions for good restaurants to try & sights we shouldn't miss. We are also thinking of taking the last few days of our trip to visit either Antwerp, Gent, & Bruges or some of the Dutch countryside. Any recommendations for must-see special little towns? Is there some other area that anyone has enjoyed more? I haven't gotten far in my research yet so I'll just ask if we would need a car or could we take trains to most of these areas? Not being too good at planning trips, we are open to any & all suggestions and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer & advise. Oh & some background-we are a "young" 50-something hippie type couple(as our 3 children have dubbed us)who are avid photographers, don't mind walking or biking, love new foods, museums & old churches, local culture, history & anything quirky. Will be flying from East Coast of USA, most likely in & out of Amsterdam. Thanks again!
Advice Needed-1st Timers to Amsterdam
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Moving to Belfast
- 2 Where to rent a car in Barcelona
- 3 Luggage sizing
- 4 UK & Ireland 2 week travel itinerary (looking for input)
- 5 3 day trip from Madrid to Bourdeaux by car
- 6 Paris in January: 2 Days
- 7 Munich - vacation apartment rental, week after Christmas
- 8 Where should I go (4 days after work week in London)
- 9 Amsterdam--where to stay??
- 10 Five Days With Rabbies in Devon and Cornwall
- 11 3-Star Hotels in Roma Centro Storico
- 12 Quick Trip Report - MALTA/FRANKFURT
- 13 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 14 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 15 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 16 ENGLAND NOV 5 - 16 2014
- 17 Help with Tuscany for a week late May/early June
- 18 Hotels and locations in Barcelona
- 19 Gluten-free in Ireland
- 20 Confused about Norway in a Nutshell!
- 21 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 22 Hotels in Amsterdam and Paris @ less than 150 euros per night
- 23 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 24 Wheelie Suitcases Ban
- 25 Amsterdam safety concerns - red light district?