Hi all-husband is kindly allowing me to choose a location in Europe for the two of us to spend about 10 days sometime this Spring(just found out that he can get the time away from work). I am fascinated by Amsterdam, in part due to the amazing report done by your own PalenQ(and I still haven't gotten all the way through the report yet). Is late April/early May a good time of year to visit? I would love some advice on the best area of the city to stay in for walking about, catching public transpo, getting to sights easily, suggestions for good restaurants to try & sights we shouldn't miss. We are also thinking of taking the last few days of our trip to visit either Antwerp, Gent, & Bruges or some of the Dutch countryside. Any recommendations for must-see special little towns? Is there some other area that anyone has enjoyed more? I haven't gotten far in my research yet so I'll just ask if we would need a car or could we take trains to most of these areas? Not being too good at planning trips, we are open to any & all suggestions and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer & advise. Oh & some background-we are a "young" 50-something hippie type couple(as our 3 children have dubbed us)who are avid photographers, don't mind walking or biking, love new foods, museums & old churches, local culture, history & anything quirky. Will be flying from East Coast of USA, most likely in & out of Amsterdam. Thanks again!
Advice Needed-1st Timers to Amsterdam
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 2 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 3 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 4 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 5 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 6 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 7 Traveling within Italy
- 8 Limo Transfers from Fiumicino Rome Airport
- 9 Venice - canoeing / kayaking
- 10 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 11 Normandy in mid Sept?
- 12 Family European winter holiday
- 13 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 14 Italy: Planning a honeymoon....HELP!!!!
- 15 To Paris and Provence in June
- 16 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 17 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 18 Euro Train
- 19 Travel by train or bus
- 20 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 21 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 22 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 23 Florence in October
- 24 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 25 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report