Hi all-husband is kindly allowing me to choose a location in Europe for the two of us to spend about 10 days sometime this Spring(just found out that he can get the time away from work). I am fascinated by Amsterdam, in part due to the amazing report done by your own PalenQ(and I still haven't gotten all the way through the report yet). Is late April/early May a good time of year to visit? I would love some advice on the best area of the city to stay in for walking about, catching public transpo, getting to sights easily, suggestions for good restaurants to try & sights we shouldn't miss. We are also thinking of taking the last few days of our trip to visit either Antwerp, Gent, & Bruges or some of the Dutch countryside. Any recommendations for must-see special little towns? Is there some other area that anyone has enjoyed more? I haven't gotten far in my research yet so I'll just ask if we would need a car or could we take trains to most of these areas? Not being too good at planning trips, we are open to any & all suggestions and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer & advise. Oh & some background-we are a "young" 50-something hippie type couple(as our 3 children have dubbed us)who are avid photographers, don't mind walking or biking, love new foods, museums & old churches, local culture, history & anything quirky. Will be flying from East Coast of USA, most likely in & out of Amsterdam. Thanks again!
Advice Needed-1st Timers to Amsterdam
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stockholm/Archipelago Dinner Cruise
- 2 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 3 A week in the South of France Sept 2014
- 4 River Cruise: MS Amadeus Elegant- Reserve with Caution
- 5 Passport Delays
- 6 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...
- 7 My final (hopefully) Dresden Itinerary for Review
- 8 "Compartment" vs "Saloon Carriage" in 2nd class: Salzburg to Venice?
- 9 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 10 spain in 14 nights with wife and 2 17 yrs old kids
- 11 TGV Train Tickets/Passes
- 12 first family trip to Switzerland
- 13 Spending money in Italy?
- 14 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 15 Normandy in October
- 16 Itinerary for 11 day trip to France
- 17 Trip Report: 10 Days in Spain
- 18 a hostel in Moscow, Russia
- 19 Anybody in Amalfi right now? Weather?
- 20 Vacation Rental Home near Barcelona with 8 bed/8 bath help
- 21 Paris in October solo - potpourri of questions
- 22 Copenhagen - Must see places and time required in city!!
- 23 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 24 Train from Copenhagen to Stockholm; Best site to book and when?
- 25 Stockholm Metro Stations