I've got some AA Frequent Flyer miles I'm intending to use for a trip to Europe this fall. I'll be doing a multi-city trip from Chicago, flying into London LHR and returning from Madrid. When I ran a round trip flight (over a 20 day period to- from), it was 60,000 miles + about $480 in additional fees. However, when I ran the same dates, a one-way to London = 30,000 + only a $5.36 fee, then separately, a one way return from Madrid= 20,000 + $152 in fees. Doing it one way, each way saves 10,000 miles and over $300. But, of course I'm wary of what AA would do if I first book the one-way to London, then try to book the one-way back from Madrid. Will the extra fees kick in after I have the first one-way flight on record?
Has anyone tried to save miles and $$ using AA miles in this way? Will it work? All informed responses (no speculation please) would be very welcome. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 2 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 3 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 4 Globus Iberian Tour
- 5 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 6 Poland to Austria In December
- 7 road trip through scotland
- 8 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 9 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 10 Requesting information about Flytolake/Lariobus
- 11 Agriturismo or small hotel between Milan & Cinque Terre
- 12 Thinking about the Fjords
- 13 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 14 Where to eat in Rome?
- 15 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 16 Alsace to Austria?
- 17 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 18 base for Andalucia
- 19 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 20 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 21 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 22 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 23 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 24 Driving in Southern Italy - outside the beaten track
- 25 barcelona neighborhood