We have a week to spend on the Amalfi coast in the beginning of October. We are flying into Rome and planning to fly out of Naples onto Southern Spain, spending about 12 days in Andalucia / Barcelona before returning home. (I posted our Spain itinerary on the Spain forum and received great suggestions and am hoping for the same with our Amalfi Coast Itinerary!). We are a family of 3, have been to Italy once before, but not south of Rome, and want to focus on the Amalfi Coast during this trip. We are looking for mid-range accommodations, trying to stay around 150 euros per night.
Here is the tentative plan:
We are flying into Rome from the States, landing around 8 AM. We are planning to rent a car from Auto Europe and drive to Sorrento. I realize people have strong opinions about driving in the Amalfi Coast. I thought that for three people, it may be convenient to have a car, and we have always wanted to drive the Amalfi Coast. If the coast will be grid lock even in October, and there are particularly compelling reasons against driving that we are unaware of, we are willing to reconsider the car...
Day 1: Rome to Sorrento by car. We are looking to stay at Palazzo Starce (w/ parking) in Sorrento for 3 nights. Arrive in Sorrento around mid afternoon, relax.
Day 2: Day trip to Pompeii (by car?), stay in Sorrento
Day 3: Day trip to Capri, stay in Sorrento
Day 4: Drive to Positano. Looking at Holiday House Gilda for 4 nights in Positano (w/ parking)
Day 5: Enjoy Positano
Day 6: Day trip to Ravello (by car?), stay in Positano
Day 7: Day trip to Amalfi, stay in Positano
Day 8: Drive to Naples Airport to catch early afternoon flight to Spain
First, what do you think of our hotel choices?
Second, are there other places you would recommend visiting that we have not thought of during our week on the Amalfi Coast? We are not particularly interested in staying in Sorrento, but it seems like a convenient location for day trips to Pompeii and Capri. We thought about staying in Capri for two nights, but the accommodations there seem prohibitively expensive. We have omitted Naples. We could visit Naples on the morning of the 8th day (or on the 1st day from Rome), but not sure we feel comfortable driving into and around the city.
Thanks and looking forward to your thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 2 One night in Rome
- 3 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 4 Trip to Rome
- 5 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 6 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 7 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 8 Itinerary Paris to Dordogne +/- Loire??
- 9 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 10 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 11 Do you travel with linen clothes?
- 12 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 13 Scottish Heritage Pass v. Explorer Pass
- 14 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 15 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 16 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 17 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 18 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 19 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 20 Imbros Gorge
- 21 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 22 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 23 Bus from Budva to Kotor
- 24 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 25 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen