We have a week to spend on the Amalfi coast in the beginning of October. We are flying into Rome and planning to fly out of Naples onto Southern Spain, spending about 12 days in Andalucia / Barcelona before returning home. (I posted our Spain itinerary on the Spain forum and received great suggestions and am hoping for the same with our Amalfi Coast Itinerary!). We are a family of 3, have been to Italy once before, but not south of Rome, and want to focus on the Amalfi Coast during this trip. We are looking for mid-range accommodations, trying to stay around 150 euros per night.
Here is the tentative plan:
We are flying into Rome from the States, landing around 8 AM. We are planning to rent a car from Auto Europe and drive to Sorrento. I realize people have strong opinions about driving in the Amalfi Coast. I thought that for three people, it may be convenient to have a car, and we have always wanted to drive the Amalfi Coast. If the coast will be grid lock even in October, and there are particularly compelling reasons against driving that we are unaware of, we are willing to reconsider the car...
Day 1: Rome to Sorrento by car. We are looking to stay at Palazzo Starce (w/ parking) in Sorrento for 3 nights. Arrive in Sorrento around mid afternoon, relax.
Day 2: Day trip to Pompeii (by car?), stay in Sorrento
Day 3: Day trip to Capri, stay in Sorrento
Day 4: Drive to Positano. Looking at Holiday House Gilda for 4 nights in Positano (w/ parking)
Day 5: Enjoy Positano
Day 6: Day trip to Ravello (by car?), stay in Positano
Day 7: Day trip to Amalfi, stay in Positano
Day 8: Drive to Naples Airport to catch early afternoon flight to Spain
First, what do you think of our hotel choices?
Second, are there other places you would recommend visiting that we have not thought of during our week on the Amalfi Coast? We are not particularly interested in staying in Sorrento, but it seems like a convenient location for day trips to Pompeii and Capri. We thought about staying in Capri for two nights, but the accommodations there seem prohibitively expensive. We have omitted Naples. We could visit Naples on the morning of the 8th day (or on the 1st day from Rome), but not sure we feel comfortable driving into and around the city.
Thanks and looking forward to your thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving in Italy?
- 2 English Countryside
- 3 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 4 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 5 5-day rpad trip from Toulouse that includes Lourdes
- 6 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 7 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 8 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 9 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 10 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 11 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 12 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 13 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 14 Granada to Madrid
- 15 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 16 Tour groups
- 17 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 18 If you had to choose one......
- 19 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 20 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 21 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 22 Hiking in Tirol/Austria
- 23 Church service in Dubrovnik
- 24 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 25 Manchester Airport Connection Time