We have a week to spend on the Amalfi coast in the beginning of October. We are flying into Rome and planning to fly out of Naples onto Southern Spain, spending about 12 days in Andalucia / Barcelona before returning home. (I posted our Spain itinerary on the Spain forum and received great suggestions and am hoping for the same with our Amalfi Coast Itinerary!). We are a family of 3, have been to Italy once before, but not south of Rome, and want to focus on the Amalfi Coast during this trip. We are looking for mid-range accommodations, trying to stay around 150 euros per night.
Here is the tentative plan:
We are flying into Rome from the States, landing around 8 AM. We are planning to rent a car from Auto Europe and drive to Sorrento. I realize people have strong opinions about driving in the Amalfi Coast. I thought that for three people, it may be convenient to have a car, and we have always wanted to drive the Amalfi Coast. If the coast will be grid lock even in October, and there are particularly compelling reasons against driving that we are unaware of, we are willing to reconsider the car...
Day 1: Rome to Sorrento by car. We are looking to stay at Palazzo Starce (w/ parking) in Sorrento for 3 nights. Arrive in Sorrento around mid afternoon, relax.
Day 2: Day trip to Pompeii (by car?), stay in Sorrento
Day 3: Day trip to Capri, stay in Sorrento
Day 4: Drive to Positano. Looking at Holiday House Gilda for 4 nights in Positano (w/ parking)
Day 5: Enjoy Positano
Day 6: Day trip to Ravello (by car?), stay in Positano
Day 7: Day trip to Amalfi, stay in Positano
Day 8: Drive to Naples Airport to catch early afternoon flight to Spain
First, what do you think of our hotel choices?
Second, are there other places you would recommend visiting that we have not thought of during our week on the Amalfi Coast? We are not particularly interested in staying in Sorrento, but it seems like a convenient location for day trips to Pompeii and Capri. We thought about staying in Capri for two nights, but the accommodations there seem prohibitively expensive. We have omitted Naples. We could visit Naples on the morning of the 8th day (or on the 1st day from Rome), but not sure we feel comfortable driving into and around the city.
Thanks and looking forward to your thoughts!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 2 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 5 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 6 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 7 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 8 Munich and....???
- 9 Can parking
- 10 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 11 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 12 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 13 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 14 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 15 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 16 magnified mirror
- 17 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 18 VAT refund transferring through CDG
- 19 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 20 Driving through Paris
- 21 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 22 San Sebastián
- 23 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 24 italy Cinque Terre
- 25 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald