I am hoping there is some Francophiles out there who can help me. My husband and I are trying to decide where to go on our summer holiday. We only have a week in June and really fancy either the south of France. Ideally we would like to split our week between 2 bases: a few days in a beach resort and a few days in the mountains. For both bases we would like to stay in a really nice town, with a bit of buzz about it - not as big as a city but not too remote - so that if we don’t fancy doing much we have a nice beach/restaurants/cafes etc on our doorstep and still has good connections so that we can take day trips to different places (we would hire a car).
Ideally we would like to go self catering but not sure how feasible this will be if we are only looking for 3 or 4 nights in each place.
Alternatively, is there somewhere you would recommend basing ourselves for the full week which is equally accessible for day trips to the beach and mountains? What about Provence: what town would you recommend – not too big, not too small but with a bit of buzz about it, good selection of restaurants, cafes etc? So many options– how on earth do I narrow it down – help!
Thanks for any advice you can offer! I realise similar questions will have been asked in the forum and I'm off to seek them out but I think I'm getting information overload!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 2 magnified mirror
- 3 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 4 VAT refund transferring through CDG
- 5 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 6 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 7 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 8 Spanish Medical Providers
- 9 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 10 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 11 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 12 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 13 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 14 Driving through Paris
- 15 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 16 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 17 San Sebastián
- 18 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 19 italy Cinque Terre
- 20 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 21 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 22 Can parking
- 23 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 24 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 25 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area