I am hoping there is some Francophiles out there who can help me. My husband and I are trying to decide where to go on our summer holiday. We only have a week in June and really fancy either the south of France. Ideally we would like to split our week between 2 bases: a few days in a beach resort and a few days in the mountains. For both bases we would like to stay in a really nice town, with a bit of buzz about it - not as big as a city but not too remote - so that if we don’t fancy doing much we have a nice beach/restaurants/cafes etc on our doorstep and still has good connections so that we can take day trips to different places (we would hire a car).
Ideally we would like to go self catering but not sure how feasible this will be if we are only looking for 3 or 4 nights in each place.
Alternatively, is there somewhere you would recommend basing ourselves for the full week which is equally accessible for day trips to the beach and mountains? What about Provence: what town would you recommend – not too big, not too small but with a bit of buzz about it, good selection of restaurants, cafes etc? So many options– how on earth do I narrow it down – help!
Thanks for any advice you can offer! I realise similar questions will have been asked in the forum and I'm off to seek them out but I think I'm getting information overload!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 2 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 3 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 4 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 5 Cordoba Overnight?
- 6 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 7 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 8 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 9 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 10 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 11 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 12 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 13 London Pass vs. OysterCard,or get both?
- 14 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 15 Itinerary help for 2 weeks vacation
- 16 Early Itinerary Munich to Croatia
- 17 ST.TROPEZ - 1 day Excursions
- 18 Uffizi Phone Number
- 19 Itinerary Help Needed. 8 Days in Greece~
- 20 I have six days in Spain - where should I go?
- 21 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 22 Piedmont as a destination
- 23 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 24 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 25 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July