my wife and i are spending 3 weeks in italy in may. we have been to italy twice mainly hitting the major urban destinations - rome florence, venice, naples along with amalfi coast and pompei and vesuvius. this time we plan to see more of the rural side of italy. our first week we are going to spend in the eastern part of campania and the last week in tuscany -barga. we need recommendations for central italy - umbria? abruzzo? le marche? want to stay in one location for a week, don't have to see everything. would like a base where we could take day trips to small towns and villages, perhaps run out to the adriatic. even though i taught history for 35 years, we don't tend to seek out historical sights. instead we try to absorb as much of the local culture as possible.
a week in rural central italy in mid-may
View all Europe activity »
- 1 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 2 Le Marche and Rome - Part 3 - Recanati
- 3 Family European winter holiday
- 4 Christmas Markets / Christmas experience.
- 5 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 6 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 7 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 8 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 9 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 10 Travel by train or bus
- 11 Sicily 10 days
- 12 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 13 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 14 Advises for trip to Russia
- 15 To Paris and Provence in June
- 16 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 17 Dawdling Through the Dordogne
- 18 London for Christmas
- 19 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 20 Medieval Tallinn
- 21 Portugal in September
- 22 Picturesque Towns in Europe: Your Favorite?
- 23 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 24 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 25 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days