my wife and i are spending 3 weeks in italy in may. we have been to italy twice mainly hitting the major urban destinations - rome florence, venice, naples along with amalfi coast and pompei and vesuvius. this time we plan to see more of the rural side of italy. our first week we are going to spend in the eastern part of campania and the last week in tuscany -barga. we need recommendations for central italy - umbria? abruzzo? le marche? want to stay in one location for a week, don't have to see everything. would like a base where we could take day trips to small towns and villages, perhaps run out to the adriatic. even though i taught history for 35 years, we don't tend to seek out historical sights. instead we try to absorb as much of the local culture as possible.
a week in rural central italy in mid-may
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 2 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 3 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 4 Best Location for Car Pickup in Naples
- 5 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 6 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 7 Help with itinerary for girls trip to Swizterland
- 8 Italy dolomites
- 9 Brisighella or Castelvetro di Modena Lodgings in Emilia Romagna
- 10 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 11 Scuol, Switzerland
- 12 Airport ATMs
- 13 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 14 Euro Trivia Quiz #16
- 15 5 Observations About Paris
- 16 Euro Trivia quiz #15 - Famous Folks and Places
- 17 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 18 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 19 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 20 Switzerland help...?
- 21 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 22 Italy 2015: making the internal plans
- 23 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 24 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 25 Sicily in a winter