my wife and i are spending 3 weeks in italy in may. we have been to italy twice mainly hitting the major urban destinations - rome florence, venice, naples along with amalfi coast and pompei and vesuvius. this time we plan to see more of the rural side of italy. our first week we are going to spend in the eastern part of campania and the last week in tuscany -barga. we need recommendations for central italy - umbria? abruzzo? le marche? want to stay in one location for a week, don't have to see everything. would like a base where we could take day trips to small towns and villages, perhaps run out to the adriatic. even though i taught history for 35 years, we don't tend to seek out historical sights. instead we try to absorb as much of the local culture as possible.
a week in rural central italy in mid-may
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece - trip report - Aegean Islands Chios, Lesvos and Samos Oct 2012
- 2 Sicily - not a trip report
- 3 What to wear
- 4 Mosquitos in Camargue---is it really that bad??
- 5 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?
- 6 Urgent Spanish visa dilemma
- 7 Salzburg, Innsbruck, and possibly Graz with my 90yr old Mom
- 8 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 9 Chip but no PIN
- 10 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 11 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 12 No points in Paris .....
- 13 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 14 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 15 Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK
- 16 What still confounds you about travel?
- 17 Three days in Spain
- 18 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 19 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 20 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 21 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 22 Eurostar booking
- 23 The Times reveals secret best beaches: mediterranean
- 24 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 25 Tuscany intinerary-what to do on a Sunday