my wife and i are spending 3 weeks in italy in may. we have been to italy twice mainly hitting the major urban destinations - rome florence, venice, naples along with amalfi coast and pompei and vesuvius. this time we plan to see more of the rural side of italy. our first week we are going to spend in the eastern part of campania and the last week in tuscany -barga. we need recommendations for central italy - umbria? abruzzo? le marche? want to stay in one location for a week, don't have to see everything. would like a base where we could take day trips to small towns and villages, perhaps run out to the adriatic. even though i taught history for 35 years, we don't tend to seek out historical sights. instead we try to absorb as much of the local culture as possible.
a week in rural central italy in mid-may
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 2 Lake Como or Lake Maggiore for beauty and nature
- 3 Scotland 4 days / 5 nights - Itinerary ideas?!
- 4 6 Days in Italy - all in Rome or divide it between Rome and Florence?
- 5 Rocamaxour
- 6 Dordogne lodging
- 7 Dordogne prehistoric sites
- 8 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 9 BUGA 2015 (Floral festival in Brandenburg) transportation
- 10 finally, an itinerary that seems ok..but still not sure
- 11 Auto Tours of Amalfi Coast
- 12 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 13 Destination Benson; help with 2 options, please
- 14 Visiting Bastogne and nearby - should I stay there or Liege or elsewhere?
- 15 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 16 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 17 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 18 Looking for 5* Beach Resort
- 19 Ediburgh lodging - July.
- 20 England in 7 days
- 21 5 PM Opera at La Scala on a Sunday night
- 22 A guide to Copenhagen.
- 23 6-Week Europe Itinerary - Thoughts and Suggestions?
- 24 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 25 Quiet beach town in Italy?