...in Saturday's NY Times - a detailed article showing how towns along it are reacting to the huge increase in the numbers of people making the arduous journey by foot to the shrine of Saint Jacques in Santiago de la Compostella - even Angela Mirkel did a short few steps on it recently.
Walkers have boomed in spite of Europe's increasing turning away from religion.
Has anyone walked along the now well-beaten trail from France thru northweatern Spain to Santiago?
I've been to Santiago and loved the whole scene - the pious pilgrims making their last tough approach on knees, if I recall correctly them climbing a final stair case to the actual shrine.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Manchester (MAN) vs. Heathrow
- 2 Verona or Athens?
- 3 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 4 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 5 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 6 the ultimate trip report Barcelona
- 7 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 8 European Cooking Secrets
- 9 RHK's Fall escape
- 10 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 11 15 days in Europe starting and ending in Amsterdam
- 12 Almalfi coast late March? Or Piedmont?
- 13 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 14 Italy or France with a 15 month old in March?
- 15 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 16 Lisbon guided sightseeing tours
- 17 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 18 Trip summary: London, England, July 2016
- 19 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 20 Skiing Village or Small Town near Vienna
- 21 Uwaga : koniec = parking fine
- 22 Need itinerary suggestions for 7 days in Spain before Christmas Eve
- 23 Rome 1st Time - Wish you'd known, tips, unexpected surprises
- 24 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 25 Assisi, Chianti & Inqie Terre-2 wks.
A New Look at the Pilgrimage Footpath to Santiago de la Compestella...