...in Saturday's NY Times - a detailed article showing how towns along it are reacting to the huge increase in the numbers of people making the arduous journey by foot to the shrine of Saint Jacques in Santiago de la Compostella - even Angela Mirkel did a short few steps on it recently.
Walkers have boomed in spite of Europe's increasing turning away from religion.
Has anyone walked along the now well-beaten trail from France thru northweatern Spain to Santiago?
I've been to Santiago and loved the whole scene - the pious pilgrims making their last tough approach on knees, if I recall correctly them climbing a final stair case to the actual shrine.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 days Sweden-Norway-Denmark itinerary help
- 2 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 3 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 4 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 5 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 6 Piedmont as a destination
- 7 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 8 Where to buy nice soaps in Paris?
- 9 Help needed with Europe itinerary
- 10 Do I have time for the Appian Way?
- 11 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 12 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 13 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 14 Croatia and Slovenia 2018
- 15 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 16 Passport proplems
- 17 Getting from Positano to Rome
- 18 CANNES MONACO EZE
- 19 Itinerary help...
- 20 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 21 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 22 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 23 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 24 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 25 3 weeks Spain w/ 2 kids under 5yrs in October
A New Look at the Pilgrimage Footpath to Santiago de la Compestella...