...in Saturday's NY Times - a detailed article showing how towns along it are reacting to the huge increase in the numbers of people making the arduous journey by foot to the shrine of Saint Jacques in Santiago de la Compostella - even Angela Mirkel did a short few steps on it recently.
Walkers have boomed in spite of Europe's increasing turning away from religion.
Has anyone walked along the now well-beaten trail from France thru northweatern Spain to Santiago?
I've been to Santiago and loved the whole scene - the pious pilgrims making their last tough approach on knees, if I recall correctly them climbing a final stair case to the actual shrine.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 2 Where should I go with my family?
- 3 Crete Holiday
- 4 PARIS
- 5 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 6 First Solo Adventure
- 7 First Solo Adventure
- 8 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 9 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 10 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 11 Stu Tower
- 12 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 13 Trains in Italy
- 14 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 15 Tour or self drive Douro?
- 16 Which Hotel in Rome
- 17 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 18 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 19 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 20 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 21 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 22 SE ITALY
- 23 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 24 Drive from Piedmont to Malpensa Qs?
- 25 Maybe your worst nighmare...
A New Look at the Pilgrimage Footpath to Santiago de la Compestella...