...in Saturday's NY Times - a detailed article showing how towns along it are reacting to the huge increase in the numbers of people making the arduous journey by foot to the shrine of Saint Jacques in Santiago de la Compostella - even Angela Mirkel did a short few steps on it recently.
Walkers have boomed in spite of Europe's increasing turning away from religion.
Has anyone walked along the now well-beaten trail from France thru northweatern Spain to Santiago?
I've been to Santiago and loved the whole scene - the pious pilgrims making their last tough approach on knees, if I recall correctly them climbing a final stair case to the actual shrine.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 2 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 3 Another tipping question: concierges
- 4 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 5 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 6 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 7 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 8 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 9 Trip suggestion
- 10 Spain in July
- 11 Back from Paris
- 12 Summer Travel order
- 13 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 14 LIsbon
- 15 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 16 Corfu
- 17 Chios and Mesta Chios
- 18 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 19 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 20 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 21 International Flight Question
- 22 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 23 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 24 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 25 Island hopping Croatia - into nature/hiking
A New Look at the Pilgrimage Footpath to Santiago de la Compestella...