...in Saturday's NY Times - a detailed article showing how towns along it are reacting to the huge increase in the numbers of people making the arduous journey by foot to the shrine of Saint Jacques in Santiago de la Compostella - even Angela Mirkel did a short few steps on it recently.
Walkers have boomed in spite of Europe's increasing turning away from religion.
Has anyone walked along the now well-beaten trail from France thru northweatern Spain to Santiago?
I've been to Santiago and loved the whole scene - the pious pilgrims making their last tough approach on knees, if I recall correctly them climbing a final stair case to the actual shrine.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 2 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 3 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 4 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 5 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 6 Seat Assignments on TGV train from Paris to Avignon
- 7 Paris Skip the Lines deals ...
- 8 "Never Mind"
- 9 Am i too dark to visit russia? Picture
- 10 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 11 Italian car factory tours
- 12 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Rouen?
- 13 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 14 Is the Amalfi Coast kid friendly enough
- 15 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 16 Comments on locations/sestieri, please
- 17 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 18 Visa Free Entry To Spain
- 19 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 20 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 21 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 22 Best way to get to Kinderdijk in April
- 23 Paris with a toddler and a baby
- 24 Via del Sale, Italy
- 25 Route/guide book request for Italy
A New Look at the Pilgrimage Footpath to Santiago de la Compestella...