First post here. My two daughters (16 and 14) are planning on heading to Ireland next summer and we have never been there before. We have been reading here for some great advice. We will be taking only about two weeks. Initially, we were going to take a tour clockwise around the entire island, but (on advise posted here) I have been considering making our own arrangements and not trying to cover nearly so much ground.
A little about us: we love travelling but we feel out of place in large cities. We love the outdoors, hiking and exploring. We like to do fun things but also love relaxing in beautiful, quiet places. My girls would love castles, ruins, etc but there also needs to be something additional--an occasional activity.
So here are my questions:
1. Knowing that my kids are in high school, summer is our best time. So between the weather and the crowds, which month would be our best option?
2. Having never been to Ireland, would we be better off focusing on a certain area rather than a couple days in each place around the island?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, can you offer suggestions on areas? We have focused a bit more on the south-southwest. Anything we just should not miss?
4. During the summer months, are hotel/B&B reservations a must or can we wander and find lodging in the evening for a few days?
Thank you so much for any guidance--and happy travels!
A Few Questions about Ireland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Prague - Tram #22
- 2 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 3 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 4 best neighborhood/area to stay in rome?
- 5 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 6 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 7 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 8 Where to watch World Cup in Berlin
- 9 5 nights to get from Paris to Rome - What to do??
- 10 Edinburgh To St. Andrews
- 11 nearby cities to london
- 12 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 13 London hotel
- 14 A drive in Europe
- 15 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 16 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 17 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 18 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 19 HELP FLORENCE TO ROME BY CAR WHAT TO DO
- 20 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 21 Where to stay in Rome
- 22 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 23 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 24 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 25 Italy Apartment What To Bring