First post here. My two daughters (16 and 14) are planning on heading to Ireland next summer and we have never been there before. We have been reading here for some great advice. We will be taking only about two weeks. Initially, we were going to take a tour clockwise around the entire island, but (on advise posted here) I have been considering making our own arrangements and not trying to cover nearly so much ground.
A little about us: we love travelling but we feel out of place in large cities. We love the outdoors, hiking and exploring. We like to do fun things but also love relaxing in beautiful, quiet places. My girls would love castles, ruins, etc but there also needs to be something additional--an occasional activity.
So here are my questions:
1. Knowing that my kids are in high school, summer is our best time. So between the weather and the crowds, which month would be our best option?
2. Having never been to Ireland, would we be better off focusing on a certain area rather than a couple days in each place around the island?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, can you offer suggestions on areas? We have focused a bit more on the south-southwest. Anything we just should not miss?
4. During the summer months, are hotel/B&B reservations a must or can we wander and find lodging in the evening for a few days?
Thank you so much for any guidance--and happy travels!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 really AOL Customer Support Number @(1800-681-7208)@AOL%tech
- 2 Iceland france spain
- 3 Paris hotel
- 4 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 5 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 6 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 7 Spanish food - not that special?
- 8 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 9 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 10 Maximizing Norway time
- 11 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 12 How to travel from Thessaloniki airport to Halkidiki
- 13 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 14 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 15 NEED AN URGENT LOAN?
- 16 Renting a car in Greece
- 17 Ex-pats with young kids
- 18 Greece
- 19 southeast sicily town as home base
- 20 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 21 The Alhambra Private Tour Guide
- 22 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 23 London with Teens Trip Report
- 24 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 25 Top Tapas Tascas