First post here. My two daughters (16 and 14) are planning on heading to Ireland next summer and we have never been there before. We have been reading here for some great advice. We will be taking only about two weeks. Initially, we were going to take a tour clockwise around the entire island, but (on advise posted here) I have been considering making our own arrangements and not trying to cover nearly so much ground.
A little about us: we love travelling but we feel out of place in large cities. We love the outdoors, hiking and exploring. We like to do fun things but also love relaxing in beautiful, quiet places. My girls would love castles, ruins, etc but there also needs to be something additional--an occasional activity.
So here are my questions:
1. Knowing that my kids are in high school, summer is our best time. So between the weather and the crowds, which month would be our best option?
2. Having never been to Ireland, would we be better off focusing on a certain area rather than a couple days in each place around the island?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, can you offer suggestions on areas? We have focused a bit more on the south-southwest. Anything we just should not miss?
4. During the summer months, are hotel/B&B reservations a must or can we wander and find lodging in the evening for a few days?
Thank you so much for any guidance--and happy travels!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 2 38 Days in Paris
- 3 Day trip ideas from Bristol, UK
- 4 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 5 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 6 Day trip ideas
- 7 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 8 Help with purchasing a wedding gift card
- 9 Santorini - Fira/Oia options
- 10 Help with hotels in Santorini
- 11 Scottish Heritage Pass v. Explorer Pass
- 12 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 13 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 14 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 15 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 16 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 17 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 18 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 19 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 20 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 21 Things to do in Brussels
- 22 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 23 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 24 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 25 Chilling in the Aeolian Islands