First post here. My two daughters (16 and 14) are planning on heading to Ireland next summer and we have never been there before. We have been reading here for some great advice. We will be taking only about two weeks. Initially, we were going to take a tour clockwise around the entire island, but (on advise posted here) I have been considering making our own arrangements and not trying to cover nearly so much ground.
A little about us: we love travelling but we feel out of place in large cities. We love the outdoors, hiking and exploring. We like to do fun things but also love relaxing in beautiful, quiet places. My girls would love castles, ruins, etc but there also needs to be something additional--an occasional activity.
So here are my questions:
1. Knowing that my kids are in high school, summer is our best time. So between the weather and the crowds, which month would be our best option?
2. Having never been to Ireland, would we be better off focusing on a certain area rather than a couple days in each place around the island?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, can you offer suggestions on areas? We have focused a bit more on the south-southwest. Anything we just should not miss?
4. During the summer months, are hotel/B&B reservations a must or can we wander and find lodging in the evening for a few days?
Thank you so much for any guidance--and happy travels!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 2 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 3 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 4 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 5 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 6 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 7 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 8 Belgium Itinerary
- 9 Driving through Paris
- 10 Can parking
- 11 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 12 Spanish Medical Providers
- 13 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 14 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 15 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 16 Zurich to Milan trip
- 17 Electrical Power Conversion
- 18 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 19 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 20 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 21 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 22 italy Cinque Terre
- 23 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 24 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 25 Bruges