First post here. My two daughters (16 and 14) are planning on heading to Ireland next summer and we have never been there before. We have been reading here for some great advice. We will be taking only about two weeks. Initially, we were going to take a tour clockwise around the entire island, but (on advise posted here) I have been considering making our own arrangements and not trying to cover nearly so much ground.
A little about us: we love travelling but we feel out of place in large cities. We love the outdoors, hiking and exploring. We like to do fun things but also love relaxing in beautiful, quiet places. My girls would love castles, ruins, etc but there also needs to be something additional--an occasional activity.
So here are my questions:
1. Knowing that my kids are in high school, summer is our best time. So between the weather and the crowds, which month would be our best option?
2. Having never been to Ireland, would we be better off focusing on a certain area rather than a couple days in each place around the island?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, can you offer suggestions on areas? We have focused a bit more on the south-southwest. Anything we just should not miss?
4. During the summer months, are hotel/B&B reservations a must or can we wander and find lodging in the evening for a few days?
Thank you so much for any guidance--and happy travels!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome to Naples/Pompeii
- 2 Switzerland in September
- 3 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 4 Where to eat in Rome?
- 5 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 6 de Roma A Como en 6 días
- 7 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 8 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 9 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 10 Positano or Sorrento?
- 11 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 12 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 13 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 14 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 15 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 16 Last minute trip to Capri
- 17 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 18 AMS Car Rental
- 19 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 20 Private transportation between Italian Cities
- 21 Help! Need Itinerary advice for Vacation in the Alps
- 22 weekend from cologne germany
- 23 9 day Trip to Scotland
- 24 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 25 Birthday dinner in Salzburg