I'm going to be doing the walkers haute route this August, we will end up in Zermatt. I initially had given us 14 days to do the trek, and then travel out. However, to save a significant amount of money we will be flying out of Strassbourg instead of Switzerland. So I am going to "cheat" a bit on the treck to try and save a few days.
So we will finish in Zermatt, and have 3-4 days before flying out of Strassbourg. I ruled out the eastern part of switzerland, will have to save this for another trip. I keep reading people raving about Berner Oberland. Is it worth spending time there if we will be a little hiked out at that point. Is the scenery there significantly different from what we will see on the haute route?
The other options would be to explore some of the French side of Switzerland, such as Jura, Lausanne etc or Bern?
Or we could just travel straight to Alsace, and try and get more of a quick glimpse/tasteof that region.
We will likely train from zermatt to our first major swiss destination and rent a car (train travel from swizerland to strassbourg doens't seem that convenient, and I like having a car, I know it is expensive)
I appreciate any feedback! Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 2 Something to do with my mother-in-law in Madrid
- 3 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 4 I may be wrong....
- 5 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 6 Driving from Madrid to Sevilla
- 7 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 8 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 9 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 10 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 11 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 12 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 13 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
- 14 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 15 French Wedding
- 16 Cornwall UK
- 17 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 18 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas
- 19 Photo tours in Amsterdam
- 20 Porto...Questions !
- 21 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 22 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 23 Tours through Spain and Portugal
- 24 12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions
- 25 Charming areas to explore in London