I'm going to be doing the walkers haute route this August, we will end up in Zermatt. I initially had given us 14 days to do the trek, and then travel out. However, to save a significant amount of money we will be flying out of Strassbourg instead of Switzerland. So I am going to "cheat" a bit on the treck to try and save a few days.
So we will finish in Zermatt, and have 3-4 days before flying out of Strassbourg. I ruled out the eastern part of switzerland, will have to save this for another trip. I keep reading people raving about Berner Oberland. Is it worth spending time there if we will be a little hiked out at that point. Is the scenery there significantly different from what we will see on the haute route?
The other options would be to explore some of the French side of Switzerland, such as Jura, Lausanne etc or Bern?
Or we could just travel straight to Alsace, and try and get more of a quick glimpse/tasteof that region.
We will likely train from zermatt to our first major swiss destination and rent a car (train travel from swizerland to strassbourg doens't seem that convenient, and I like having a car, I know it is expensive)
I appreciate any feedback! Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 days in end of august
- 2 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 3 Malta or Canary Islands?
- 4 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 5 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 6 Help with Scotland Highlands Itinerary
- 7 First Solo Adventure
- 8 I Want It All in 13 Days, But I Know I Can't
- 9 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 10 Crete Holiday
- 11 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 12 Trains in Italy
- 13 Dordogne France, 6 days, 13 people!
- 14 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 15 Tour or self drive Douro?
- 16 Where should I go with my family?
- 17 PARIS
- 18 First Solo Adventure
- 19 Which Hotel in Rome
- 20 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 21 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 22 SE ITALY
- 23 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 24 Drive from Piedmont to Malpensa Qs?
- 25 Maybe your worst nighmare...