I'm going to be doing the walkers haute route this August, we will end up in Zermatt. I initially had given us 14 days to do the trek, and then travel out. However, to save a significant amount of money we will be flying out of Strassbourg instead of Switzerland. So I am going to "cheat" a bit on the treck to try and save a few days.
So we will finish in Zermatt, and have 3-4 days before flying out of Strassbourg. I ruled out the eastern part of switzerland, will have to save this for another trip. I keep reading people raving about Berner Oberland. Is it worth spending time there if we will be a little hiked out at that point. Is the scenery there significantly different from what we will see on the haute route?
The other options would be to explore some of the French side of Switzerland, such as Jura, Lausanne etc or Bern?
Or we could just travel straight to Alsace, and try and get more of a quick glimpse/tasteof that region.
We will likely train from zermatt to our first major swiss destination and rent a car (train travel from swizerland to strassbourg doens't seem that convenient, and I like having a car, I know it is expensive)
I appreciate any feedback! Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 2 Athens
- 3 We're here!
- 4 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 5 Petrol in Greece
- 6 Germany train help!
- 7 Hotels for 6 25 year old guys - Paris and London
- 8 Liverpool & Beatles port tour
- 9 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 10 Meteora for older folk
- 11 Renaissance Paris Vendome
- 12 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 13 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 14 FOCUS ON FRANCE: Paris and South of France
- 15 Train help for Prague
- 16 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 17 Budapest & Prague
- 18 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 19 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 20 Paris day trips August
- 21 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 22 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 23 Acorn TV
- 24 Spain in July
- 25 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years