I'm going to be doing the walkers haute route this August, we will end up in Zermatt. I initially had given us 14 days to do the trek, and then travel out. However, to save a significant amount of money we will be flying out of Strassbourg instead of Switzerland. So I am going to "cheat" a bit on the treck to try and save a few days.
So we will finish in Zermatt, and have 3-4 days before flying out of Strassbourg. I ruled out the eastern part of switzerland, will have to save this for another trip. I keep reading people raving about Berner Oberland. Is it worth spending time there if we will be a little hiked out at that point. Is the scenery there significantly different from what we will see on the haute route?
The other options would be to explore some of the French side of Switzerland, such as Jura, Lausanne etc or Bern?
Or we could just travel straight to Alsace, and try and get more of a quick glimpse/tasteof that region.
We will likely train from zermatt to our first major swiss destination and rent a car (train travel from swizerland to strassbourg doens't seem that convenient, and I like having a car, I know it is expensive)
I appreciate any feedback! Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 2 What is the best flight itinerary from Los Angeles to Granada, Spain
- 3 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 4 Europe in October!
- 5 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 6 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 7 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 8 Barcelona - places to stay
- 9 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 10 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 11 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 12 B&Bs in Ireland
- 13 Zadar or Sibenik
- 14 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 15 Guide in Russia
- 16 Train travel
- 17 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 18 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 19 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 20 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 21 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 22 travel fan 220v?
- 23 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 24 First Trip to Paris
- 25 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?