Dublin is a city with a fascinating history dating back to the Vikings (Dubh Linn is Viking for "black pool"), but modern Dublin is a city of culture and literary greats. George Bernard Shaw was born in its Portobello neighborhood. Oscar Wilde lived there and loved it, William Butler Yeats was born and is celebrated in it, and James Joyce followed his most famous character, Leopold Bloom, through a day in it.
After touring Ireland for two weeks with Grand Circle Travel, my husband and I decided to spend several days exploring the city on our own. We had seen the better known tourist sights, watched how Guinness is made, admired the lovely new exhibit of The Book of Kells in Trinity College and learned the history of St Patrick's Cathedral. We had also spent a day in the lovely fishing village of Howth, and we were now ready to go off on a cultural adventure.
We visited Christ Church Cathedral (6 euro entry fee for seniors) where Handel's Messiah was first performed in 1742. There is also an excavation of the chapel built by the Norse king Sitric dating back to 1028, and a fascinating medieval crypt.
We discovered that there is a reading of James Joyce most days in the Sweny Pharmacy on Lincoln Street which is immortalized in Ulysses, so we went there to meet some very interesting people and to read two stories from Dubliners. The owner of the shop, P. J. Murphy is a cousin of Samuel Beckett. He distributes copies of a chosen book and people, sitting in chairs placed along the walls of the small shop, take turns reading and discussing whatever comes to mind.
The National Library of Ireland has a wonderful free William Butler Yeats exhibit containing original manuscripts and letters to his loves. Yeats had several unrequited loves before he married. Maud Gonne, the first of his loves, was his muse. There is a multimedia exhibit in which his poems are read by various people as the words and evocative pictures are projected on a screen. The poignant poems are about Ireland and love.
We visited The Little Museum of Dublin located in a three story townhouse at 15 St. Stephen's Green. One floor is dedicated to U-2 and Bono memorabilia. I was happy to learn that Bono was awarded, among other things, a Nobel 'Man of Peace' Prize in 2008 for his humanitarian efforts. On the second floor is a touching photo exhibit by Brendan Walsh showing Dublin in the 70's when carriage by container was changing the shipping industry and many people lost their jobs. The first floor is dedicated to an extremely clever history of Brian Boru (who defeated the Vikings and united Ireland at the Battle of Clontar) in cartoon form by Fergal McCarthy. Children are encouraged to make their own cartoons and they are then posted on the walls. The entrance fee is waived if you have a three day hop on hop off bus pass.
Oscar Wilde lived across the street from Merrion Park. There is a delightful statue of him in a rakish pose facing his home. The statue is flanked by two nudes - one a female and the other a male torso which are mounted on columns inscribed with many of his best witty quotations. We learned that Wilde was upset because the park was
locked and available only to rich locals with keys, so he wrote a lovely little children's story, "The Selfish Giant" about a mean giant who wouldn't allow people into his garden. Everything stopped growing there until he learned to share. The park is now open to all. Incidentally, they are currently in the process of building a new playground in the park.
We completed our literary experience of Ireland with an outstanding performance of Wilde's The Ideal Husband at the Gate Theatre (32 euros.) The acting, set and costumes made a perfect dessert to our cultural meal.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 바카라머니＼※【SKT700.CoM 】※＼온라인바카라추천☆온라인바카라추천
- 2 내국인카지노＼※【SKT700.CoM 】※＼코리아카지노★안전한바카라사이트
- 3 파파카지노≪♨≫SKT110.CoM≪♨≫파라다이스카지노
- 4 카지노하우스＼※【SKT700.CoM 】※＼인터넷바카라주소·안전한놀이터
- 5 투게더카지노≪♨≫SKT110.CoM≪♨≫파파카지노
- 6 라이브맥스카지노■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■생방송바카라ヌ생방송바카라
- 7 슈퍼카지노총판■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■마블카지노オ마블카지노
- 8 인기카지노■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■인터넷카지노추천プ인터넷카지노추천
- 9 카지노방법■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■카지노사이트주소オ카지노사이트주소
- 10 유명한온라인바카라■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■라이브바카라ゑ라이브바카라
- 11 성인신천지 ◑홈피:='kss998.com'
- 12 테크노카지노■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■카지노추천ぴ카지노추천
- 13 정선카지노■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■생방송카지노ぇ생방송카지노
- 14 온라인바카라하는법■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■온카지노ユ온카지노
- 15 엔젤바카라■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■코리아카지노ヲ코리아카지노
- 16 w카지노주소■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■코리아카지노ヒ코리아카지노
- 17 아시아바카라【KBK99。COM】미모사해외카지노주소づ소라카지노체험
- 18 정선바카라룰■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■온라인카지노주소ア온라인카지노주소
- 19 인터넷바카라【KBK99。COM】바카라검색づ합법해외카지노주소
- 20 My Topic Title카지노노하우■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■바카라추천で바카라추천
- 21 선시티바카라■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■온카モ온카
- 22 코리아바카라사이트■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■온라인바카라ヰ온라인바카라
- 23 카지노잭팟■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■온라인카지노주소パ온라인카지노주소
- 24 외국인카지노추천■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■인터넷카지노は인터넷카지노
- 25 바카라게임다운로드■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■생중계바카라て생중계바카라