Please pardon the length of this message - I am desparate for information specific to my situation!
My friends (a couple) and I will be in Iceland for four days in mid August. We are planning on arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Wednesday.
We have booked a bed and breakfast in Hafnarfjordur for the first night and plan on driving around and staying at a different place (as we explore the country) every night.
- Is it a good/bad idea to be arriving on a Saturday? Are most places open regular hours on the weekends?
- Is it a mistake to just have confirmed accommodation for the first night and assume that we can find rooms in B&Bs as we drive along? We will not have camping gear with us!
- Is it better to rent the car from an office in downtown Reykjavik or from the airport?
- Any particular car rental company that you may have had a bad experience with?
- Will we be O.K. driving around in a small car? So far we have reserved a Toyota Corolla because the space is enough for us and our budget is limited, but we're not sure how the roads are going to be.
- Should we worry about buying all the types of car insurance coverage that the rental company offers? We are good drivers (in our 30-40s and not at all the adventurous type), so the steep price of full insurance coverage seems a bit too much. I will be the primary driver and my credit card company covers the collision insurance on the rental car, but it does not cover medical, bodily damage (if not due to collision), etc.
- What are the gas prices like in Iceland?
Thanks a million!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 2 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 3 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 4 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 5 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 6 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 7 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 8 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 9 Barcelona alternative
- 10 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 11 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 12 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 13 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 14 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 15 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 16 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 17 Road trip with our dog
- 18 Can parking
- 19 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 20 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 21 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 22 Douro Valley in January?
- 23 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 24 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 25 Munich and....???