Please pardon the length of this message - I am desparate for information specific to my situation!
My friends (a couple) and I will be in Iceland for four days in mid August. We are planning on arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Wednesday.
We have booked a bed and breakfast in Hafnarfjordur for the first night and plan on driving around and staying at a different place (as we explore the country) every night.
- Is it a good/bad idea to be arriving on a Saturday? Are most places open regular hours on the weekends?
- Is it a mistake to just have confirmed accommodation for the first night and assume that we can find rooms in B&Bs as we drive along? We will not have camping gear with us!
- Is it better to rent the car from an office in downtown Reykjavik or from the airport?
- Any particular car rental company that you may have had a bad experience with?
- Will we be O.K. driving around in a small car? So far we have reserved a Toyota Corolla because the space is enough for us and our budget is limited, but we're not sure how the roads are going to be.
- Should we worry about buying all the types of car insurance coverage that the rental company offers? We are good drivers (in our 30-40s and not at all the adventurous type), so the steep price of full insurance coverage seems a bit too much. I will be the primary driver and my credit card company covers the collision insurance on the rental car, but it does not cover medical, bodily damage (if not due to collision), etc.
- What are the gas prices like in Iceland?
Thanks a million!!
a bunch of questions about Iceland travel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 2 ATM nonsense: be prepared
- 3 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 4 A drive in Europe
- 5 Greece Italy and Turkey
- 6 Signal strength of T-Mobile phones in UK, Denmark, & Sweden
- 7 TGV from Paris (or Orleans) to Barcelona
- 8 car rental info
- 9 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 10 Rail tickets
- 11 bath or york
- 12 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 13 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 14 iDTGV Sales Open Today for Travel through September 11, 2014
- 15 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 16 3.5 days in Andalucia
- 17 Hotel room/Aptartment Recommendation for 5 in Paris
- 18 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 19 Three Centre Holiday, Italy
- 20 Hotel in Venice
- 21 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 22 Visiting the UK (2 Weeks, need help)
- 23 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 24 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 25 Paris to Rome