Please pardon the length of this message - I am desparate for information specific to my situation!
My friends (a couple) and I will be in Iceland for four days in mid August. We are planning on arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Wednesday.
We have booked a bed and breakfast in Hafnarfjordur for the first night and plan on driving around and staying at a different place (as we explore the country) every night.
- Is it a good/bad idea to be arriving on a Saturday? Are most places open regular hours on the weekends?
- Is it a mistake to just have confirmed accommodation for the first night and assume that we can find rooms in B&Bs as we drive along? We will not have camping gear with us!
- Is it better to rent the car from an office in downtown Reykjavik or from the airport?
- Any particular car rental company that you may have had a bad experience with?
- Will we be O.K. driving around in a small car? So far we have reserved a Toyota Corolla because the space is enough for us and our budget is limited, but we're not sure how the roads are going to be.
- Should we worry about buying all the types of car insurance coverage that the rental company offers? We are good drivers (in our 30-40s and not at all the adventurous type), so the steep price of full insurance coverage seems a bit too much. I will be the primary driver and my credit card company covers the collision insurance on the rental car, but it does not cover medical, bodily damage (if not due to collision), etc.
- What are the gas prices like in Iceland?
Thanks a million!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 2 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 3 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 4 2 Months in Sicily
- 5 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 6 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 7 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 8 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 9 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 10 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 11 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 12 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 13 Azores
- 14 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 15 Sundays in Puglia
- 16 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 17 Prague
- 18 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 19 What tips can you give about packing?
- 20 Sim Card Options
- 21 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 22 Amsterdam hotels during summer
- 23 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 24 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 25 Como Bus to Bellagio