I got some very good advice on my earlier topic about choosing a destination, and I thought I'd make a new one instead of bumping the older one where the original post isn't really relevant anymore
have settled on going to Portugal with my gf for 9 nights (Saturday to following Monday), and am debating between Porto -> Lisbon -> Algarve/Alentejo, or just Lisbon -> Algarve/Alentejo. The two options are something like:
Sat night: land in Porto
Sun & Mon: Porto, possible trip to Douro river/valley on Monday
Tues: train to Lisbon
Weds-Fri: Lisbon, daytrip to Sintra included
Sat: rent car and drive to Algarve accommodation
Mon: fly back at night
Sat night: land in Lisbon
Sun-Weds/Thurs: Lisbon, with a daytrip or two to nearby areas
Thurs/Fri: rent a car and drive to Algarve accommodation
(Fri &) Sat & Sun: spend time on the beach, drive around nearby towns, possibly drive into Alentejo on a day; just generally explore south/central-south area
Mon: fly back at night
- I'm basically torn over whether to include Porto. I've read comments that the architecture is great, and it'd also hedge against the risk that we don't like Lisbon. On the other hand, doing so much in 9 nights might feel a bit rushed, switching accommodation multiple times is annoying, and we can always do an extra day-trip out of Lisbon if we don't like it (assuming there's enough to see in the area). I'm just not sure how much of a *must-see* Porto is
- We know that the Algarve is meant to be over-developed/crowded, but I've never had a holiday at a proper beach resort and I'd find it interesting. But could also try to find the less commercialised towns along the South coast, if any exist. And we do definitely want to spend a couple of days in a coastal area.
So I guess I'm kind of leaning towards the second choice because I think the first might feel too rushed, but I just want to check whether I'm missing out something amazing by not seeing Porto and hear any thoughts from people who've been there/done that!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Suggestions of Paris things to do Christmas and New Years?
- 2 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 3 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 4 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 5 Edinburgh Tattoo-2017-Tickets
- 6 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 7 Swiss Travel Pass
- 8 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 9 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 10 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 11 Athens
- 12 We're here!
- 13 Lisbon-mini trip report
- 14 airports near Delphi or Kalabaka
- 15 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 16 Another Guide for Art Loving Tourists
- 17 Petrol in Greece
- 18 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 19 Novels about Spain and Spanish history
- 20 France for 3 weeks..Too many choices
- 21 Gyms in Paris-day passes?
- 22 Christmas markets still open after Dec 25?
- 23 Wimbledon Debenture tickets
- 24 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 25 WB Harry Potter Studios Sold Out