I got some very good advice on my earlier topic about choosing a destination, and I thought I'd make a new one instead of bumping the older one where the original post isn't really relevant anymore
have settled on going to Portugal with my gf for 9 nights (Saturday to following Monday), and am debating between Porto -> Lisbon -> Algarve/Alentejo, or just Lisbon -> Algarve/Alentejo. The two options are something like:
Sat night: land in Porto
Sun & Mon: Porto, possible trip to Douro river/valley on Monday
Tues: train to Lisbon
Weds-Fri: Lisbon, daytrip to Sintra included
Sat: rent car and drive to Algarve accommodation
Mon: fly back at night
Sat night: land in Lisbon
Sun-Weds/Thurs: Lisbon, with a daytrip or two to nearby areas
Thurs/Fri: rent a car and drive to Algarve accommodation
(Fri &) Sat & Sun: spend time on the beach, drive around nearby towns, possibly drive into Alentejo on a day; just generally explore south/central-south area
Mon: fly back at night
- I'm basically torn over whether to include Porto. I've read comments that the architecture is great, and it'd also hedge against the risk that we don't like Lisbon. On the other hand, doing so much in 9 nights might feel a bit rushed, switching accommodation multiple times is annoying, and we can always do an extra day-trip out of Lisbon if we don't like it (assuming there's enough to see in the area). I'm just not sure how much of a *must-see* Porto is
- We know that the Algarve is meant to be over-developed/crowded, but I've never had a holiday at a proper beach resort and I'd find it interesting. But could also try to find the less commercialised towns along the South coast, if any exist. And we do definitely want to spend a couple of days in a coastal area.
So I guess I'm kind of leaning towards the second choice because I think the first might feel too rushed, but I just want to check whether I'm missing out something amazing by not seeing Porto and hear any thoughts from people who've been there/done that!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Italy Itinerary
- 2 Moldova and Transnistria
- 3 Camogli and surrounds
- 4 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 5 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 6 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 7 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 8 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 9 Whistle stop family road trip
- 10 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 11 SURPRISE TRIP
- 12 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 13 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 14 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 15 travel fan 220v?
- 16 Palermo Apartment
- 17 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 18 What is the best flight itinerary from Los Angeles to Granada, Spain
- 19 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 20 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 21 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 22 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 23 Barcelona - places to stay
- 24 Need advice on Seville-Tarifa/Tangier-Malaga itinerary
- 25 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback