I got some very good advice on my earlier topic about choosing a destination, and I thought I'd make a new one instead of bumping the older one where the original post isn't really relevant anymore
have settled on going to Portugal with my gf for 9 nights (Saturday to following Monday), and am debating between Porto -> Lisbon -> Algarve/Alentejo, or just Lisbon -> Algarve/Alentejo. The two options are something like:
Sat night: land in Porto
Sun & Mon: Porto, possible trip to Douro river/valley on Monday
Tues: train to Lisbon
Weds-Fri: Lisbon, daytrip to Sintra included
Sat: rent car and drive to Algarve accommodation
Mon: fly back at night
Sat night: land in Lisbon
Sun-Weds/Thurs: Lisbon, with a daytrip or two to nearby areas
Thurs/Fri: rent a car and drive to Algarve accommodation
(Fri &) Sat & Sun: spend time on the beach, drive around nearby towns, possibly drive into Alentejo on a day; just generally explore south/central-south area
Mon: fly back at night
- I'm basically torn over whether to include Porto. I've read comments that the architecture is great, and it'd also hedge against the risk that we don't like Lisbon. On the other hand, doing so much in 9 nights might feel a bit rushed, switching accommodation multiple times is annoying, and we can always do an extra day-trip out of Lisbon if we don't like it (assuming there's enough to see in the area). I'm just not sure how much of a *must-see* Porto is
- We know that the Algarve is meant to be over-developed/crowded, but I've never had a holiday at a proper beach resort and I'd find it interesting. But could also try to find the less commercialised towns along the South coast, if any exist. And we do definitely want to spend a couple of days in a coastal area.
So I guess I'm kind of leaning towards the second choice because I think the first might feel too rushed, but I just want to check whether I'm missing out something amazing by not seeing Porto and hear any thoughts from people who've been there/done that!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 days Sweden-Norway-Denmark itinerary help
- 2 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 3 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 4 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 5 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 6 Piedmont as a destination
- 7 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 8 Where to buy nice soaps in Paris?
- 9 Help needed with Europe itinerary
- 10 Do I have time for the Appian Way?
- 11 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 12 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 13 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 14 Croatia and Slovenia 2018
- 15 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 16 Passport proplems
- 17 Getting from Positano to Rome
- 18 CANNES MONACO EZE
- 19 Itinerary help...
- 20 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 21 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 22 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 23 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 24 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 25 3 weeks Spain w/ 2 kids under 5yrs in October