I am planning a trip to Italy in March and would be glad to have some help with my planning.
I'll be arriving around March 5th to meet my daughter and we need to be near Pisa for a 6-day course on cured meats on the 14th. She will have been in Europe for 8 weeks: around 7 weeks in Portugal and Spain and then in Italy for 10 days with her Grandma.
DD & Grandma will stay in Montepulciano for 4 nights, Assisi for 2, Lucca for 1 and then they fly to Sardinia to visit friends for 4 days. Finally, they have a night in Florence before Grandma flies home. Some of you may have helped her with her trip planning (screen name, Bubblywine.)
I've been to Italy many times including a wonderful trip w/ DD to Bologna, Venice, Florence, Assisi and Rome. Our interests are food (especially salami), wine, ART, scenery, people, charming towns and cities. We spent a week in Rome a few years ago, and I was just there in October, so even though it's March and expect to see a little rain or chilly weather, we'd prefer to stay in central Italy. We'll rent a car in Spoleto and return it to Pisa.
Tentatively, here's our itinerary:
3 nights Spoleto (meet DD there). We'll visit Norcia & Montefalco. Staying at Hotel Charleston.
2 nights at Agriturismo Ramuse in Force, the Marche. They serve dinner and I'd like to visit the charming hill towns in that area of the Marche.
2 nights in Ascoli Piceno. I'd like to visit Pescara and L'Aquila and...other places I haven't researched yet. Suggestions are welcome. I just re-read Flame123's recent trip report for ideas.
2 nights....where? We could simply add another night to Spoleto and Ascoli - or 2 more to Spoleto. Or, we could go to Urbino. I was there in 2001 and loved it. Or we could stay in Arezzo or Umbertide or some place along the way to Pisa. So many options!
What would you recommend? We'd both enjoy seeing great art, churches and charming towns. DD would welcome a place with a great wine bar. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 italy in ll days and what to see
- 2 Alhambra Guide
- 3 Edinburgh to Bath - what is best option? train or plane
- 4 Slovania & Croatia
- 5 Edinburgh airport taxi recos?
- 6 Language school in Valencia for teenager
- 7 Berlin / Cologne / Rothenburg / Neuschwanstein
- 8 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 9 Prague National Theatre- Help with Choosing Box Seats 1st Timer ...
- 10 Swiss Alps to Florence
- 11 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 12 Swiss travel pass/ Glacier express
- 13 Short, one day trip to Sighișoara, what do you recommend?
- 14 PARIS. GTG-------Sept.14, 2016, anyone interested?
- 15 Any details on the explosions at the Istanbul Airport?
- 16 Where to stay in Emilia-Romagna for best food?
- 17 Austria to Itlay road trip
- 18 What about Basque Country?
- 19 Tuscany Region - Public Transportation or Rental Car?
- 20 DO NOT USE GO TODAY.COM!
- 21 Bus from montalcino to Firenze
- 22 First time Germany Frankfurt to Munich 2 weeks
- 23 To europe this Aug
- 24 Amsterdam and ?????
- 25 Accomodation # Interlaken,Bern,Lucern,Lausanne,Geneva
9 Days in Central Italy in March (Spoleto, Ascoli and ?.) Ideas welcome!