I am planning a trip to Italy in March and would be glad to have some help with my planning.
I'll be arriving around March 5th to meet my daughter and we need to be near Pisa for a 6-day course on cured meats on the 14th. She will have been in Europe for 8 weeks: around 7 weeks in Portugal and Spain and then in Italy for 10 days with her Grandma.
DD & Grandma will stay in Montepulciano for 4 nights, Assisi for 2, Lucca for 1 and then they fly to Sardinia to visit friends for 4 days. Finally, they have a night in Florence before Grandma flies home. Some of you may have helped her with her trip planning (screen name, Bubblywine.)
I've been to Italy many times including a wonderful trip w/ DD to Bologna, Venice, Florence, Assisi and Rome. Our interests are food (especially salami), wine, ART, scenery, people, charming towns and cities. We spent a week in Rome a few years ago, and I was just there in October, so even though it's March and expect to see a little rain or chilly weather, we'd prefer to stay in central Italy. We'll rent a car in Spoleto and return it to Pisa.
Tentatively, here's our itinerary:
3 nights Spoleto (meet DD there). We'll visit Norcia & Montefalco. Staying at Hotel Charleston.
2 nights at Agriturismo Ramuse in Force, the Marche. They serve dinner and I'd like to visit the charming hill towns in that area of the Marche.
2 nights in Ascoli Piceno. I'd like to visit Pescara and L'Aquila and...other places I haven't researched yet. Suggestions are welcome. I just re-read Flame123's recent trip report for ideas.
2 nights....where? We could simply add another night to Spoleto and Ascoli - or 2 more to Spoleto. Or, we could go to Urbino. I was there in 2001 and loved it. Or we could stay in Arezzo or Umbertide or some place along the way to Pisa. So many options!
What would you recommend? We'd both enjoy seeing great art, churches and charming towns. DD would welcome a place with a great wine bar. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help!
9 Days in Central Italy in March (Spoleto, Ascoli and ?.) Ideas welcome!
- 1 Traveling with a guide in Turkey
- 2 Granada on Sunday
- 3 9 or 10 night Spain itinerary
- 4 Formal Tours of the Marais paris
- 5 Need help in deciding!! Trip in end of July
- 6 How to make a phone call from a pay phone in London to Germany
- 7 Moving to Spain
- 8 Paris - Apartment on Rue Volta, 3rd arr?
- 9 Traveling to Fenegrò Province of Como, Italy from Rome, Italy
- 10 The Old ATM Question Ally Bank Debit Cards in Europe today
- 11 Best castle for 7 and 9 year old boys
- 12 Any experience with Chateau des Monthairons (Dieue-sur-Meuse near Verdun)?
- 13 Barajas, Terminal 1 to Terminal 2.
- 14 Advance Eurostar Tickets
- 15 4 days in Zurich for the adventurous- what to do?
- 16 Need some help credit card for hotels in italy
- 17 Club Quarters near Trafalgar Square
- 18 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 19 Tierentyne mustard on a Sunday
- 20 St. Peter's Tomb at the Necropolis Scavi Fact or Fiction?
- 21 International Trains to Switzerland using Swiss Pass
- 22 Trip to Norway- suggestions for itinerary?
- 23 Prague Itinerary
- 24 Revamped Summer Plan - Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy
- 25 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland