I am planning a trip to Italy in March and would be glad to have some help with my planning.
I'll be arriving around March 5th to meet my daughter and we need to be near Pisa for a 6-day course on cured meats on the 14th. She will have been in Europe for 8 weeks: around 7 weeks in Portugal and Spain and then in Italy for 10 days with her Grandma.
DD & Grandma will stay in Montepulciano for 4 nights, Assisi for 2, Lucca for 1 and then they fly to Sardinia to visit friends for 4 days. Finally, they have a night in Florence before Grandma flies home. Some of you may have helped her with her trip planning (screen name, Bubblywine.)
I've been to Italy many times including a wonderful trip w/ DD to Bologna, Venice, Florence, Assisi and Rome. Our interests are food (especially salami), wine, ART, scenery, people, charming towns and cities. We spent a week in Rome a few years ago, and I was just there in October, so even though it's March and expect to see a little rain or chilly weather, we'd prefer to stay in central Italy. We'll rent a car in Spoleto and return it to Pisa.
Tentatively, here's our itinerary:
3 nights Spoleto (meet DD there). We'll visit Norcia & Montefalco. Staying at Hotel Charleston.
2 nights at Agriturismo Ramuse in Force, the Marche. They serve dinner and I'd like to visit the charming hill towns in that area of the Marche.
2 nights in Ascoli Piceno. I'd like to visit Pescara and L'Aquila and...other places I haven't researched yet. Suggestions are welcome. I just re-read Flame123's recent trip report for ideas.
2 nights....where? We could simply add another night to Spoleto and Ascoli - or 2 more to Spoleto. Or, we could go to Urbino. I was there in 2001 and loved it. Or we could stay in Arezzo or Umbertide or some place along the way to Pisa. So many options!
What would you recommend? We'd both enjoy seeing great art, churches and charming towns. DD would welcome a place with a great wine bar. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France and Switzerland in 15 days
- 2 Berlin to Barcelona
- 3 Breakfast: London
- 4 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 5 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 6 http://healthytipweb.com/wonder-bust-reviews/
- 7 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 8 Camino Redux
- 9 A weekend in Jurassic Coast
- 10 Venice, September 2016, a trip report (sort of).
- 11 Day trips from Amsterdam
- 12 Macedonia, Greece
- 13 worthy or no?
- 14 How to ask for glass or carafe of tap water in Portuguese
- 15 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 16 Porto Portugal Hotels
- 17 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 18 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 19 Seville bus information
- 20 Montpellier to Arles
- 21 Paris Side Trip: Mont St Michel & Cancale
- 22 Tipping in different situations in Spain
- 23 Where To Buy Caffeine Capsules/Pills In Nice, France
- 24 1st time in London - Location wise, which would be the better for us?
- 25 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
9 Days in Central Italy in March (Spoleto, Ascoli and ?.) Ideas welcome!