I am planning a trip to Italy in March and would be glad to have some help with my planning.
I'll be arriving around March 5th to meet my daughter and we need to be near Pisa for a 6-day course on cured meats on the 14th. She will have been in Europe for 8 weeks: around 7 weeks in Portugal and Spain and then in Italy for 10 days with her Grandma.
DD & Grandma will stay in Montepulciano for 4 nights, Assisi for 2, Lucca for 1 and then they fly to Sardinia to visit friends for 4 days. Finally, they have a night in Florence before Grandma flies home. Some of you may have helped her with her trip planning (screen name, Bubblywine.)
I've been to Italy many times including a wonderful trip w/ DD to Bologna, Venice, Florence, Assisi and Rome. Our interests are food (especially salami), wine, ART, scenery, people, charming towns and cities. We spent a week in Rome a few years ago, and I was just there in October, so even though it's March and expect to see a little rain or chilly weather, we'd prefer to stay in central Italy. We'll rent a car in Spoleto and return it to Pisa.
Tentatively, here's our itinerary:
3 nights Spoleto (meet DD there). We'll visit Norcia & Montefalco. Staying at Hotel Charleston.
2 nights at Agriturismo Ramuse in Force, the Marche. They serve dinner and I'd like to visit the charming hill towns in that area of the Marche.
2 nights in Ascoli Piceno. I'd like to visit Pescara and L'Aquila and...other places I haven't researched yet. Suggestions are welcome. I just re-read Flame123's recent trip report for ideas.
2 nights....where? We could simply add another night to Spoleto and Ascoli - or 2 more to Spoleto. Or, we could go to Urbino. I was there in 2001 and loved it. Or we could stay in Arezzo or Umbertide or some place along the way to Pisa. So many options!
What would you recommend? We'd both enjoy seeing great art, churches and charming towns. DD would welcome a place with a great wine bar. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona and Paris with Wine In-between
- 2 ATM card woes in Dublin
- 3 Comments on possible day trips fromSt Remy de Provence
- 4 Amafi to Naples - private driver? Other options?
- 5 5 days in switzerland
- 6 Viking Ship Museums and Open Air Museums
- 7 Antwerp Tram
- 8 Help!!!!! I'm traveling alone, to Ireland this summer, is it safe?
- 9 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 10 Passport 6-month validity requirement is for ENTRY date, not exit, right?
- 11 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 12 Paris Architecture - tours or guides you can recommend?
- 13 Transportation for students btw Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Krakow
- 14 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 15 Advice on Bethnal Green, Shoreditch area London
- 16 Train tickets from Switzerland to Venice and back with Swiss Travel Pass
- 17 How would you piece these together?Piedmont,Tuscany, Bologna, Umbria
- 18 Solo backpacking for 5 weeks
- 19 TAP airlines & other questions
- 20 Netflix and Hulu
- 21 Restaurant Recommendations in Rome
- 22 Paris hotels
- 23 traveling to stockholm with four kids (11)
- 24 Florence with 11 & 13 year old
- 25 Naples
9 Days in Central Italy in March (Spoleto, Ascoli and ?.) Ideas welcome!