We left the West Coast US on March 13th (2015), and are now in the middle of our 8-week Sabbatical through Europe. My husband has been writing a blog every few days that includes a write-up and photos. I will include the text of the blog here (as they become available) and include a link to the blog where you all can see the photos.
To orient the whole thing, here's an itinerary so you can follow along. We have stayed in many of these locations before, and have a few criteria that we followed:
-- had to LOVE the location (LOVE = good access to food either on site or restaurants; good hiking in vicinity for non-city locales; convenient for day trips by car if non-city locales)
-- had to LOVE the hotel/inn/agriturismo (LOVE = spacious and clean room; good water pressure in showers; often with great views; often with access to bicycles; often long-standing and fun interactions with the owners)
-- no less than 3 nights per location
-- no more than 2-3 hour drive between locations (when driving)
Rome: 4 nights
Apartment Rental: Sun Apartment
through Colonnato di San Pietro B&B
Umbria: 3 nights
Agriturismo La Chiusa
Tuscany: 5 nights
Verona: 4 nights
B+B Villa Beatrice
Bolzano: 3 nights
Salzburg: 4 nights
Durnstein: 3 nights
Hotel Saenger Blondel
Vienna: 4 nights
Bratislava: 3 nights
Budapest: 4 nights
Fuissee: 3 nights
La Source des Fees
Beaune: 3 nights
Massangis: 4 nights
Paris: 8 nights
Sevres apartment through Paris Rental Connections
TRANSPORTATION (in sequential order):
-- SFO to FCO: fly through Frankfurt on United and Lufthansa
-- Car Rental #1: pick-up as we leave Rome and return in Bolzano
-- Bolzano to Salzburg: Train through Innsbruck
-- Car Rental #2: pick-up at Salzburg train station and return in Vienna
-- Vienna to Bratislava: Train
-- Bratislava to Budapest: Train
-- Budapest to Geneva: fly Brussels Airways through Brussels
-- Car Rental #3: pick-up in Geneva on French side of airport and return in Auxerre
-- Burgundy to Paris: train from Auxerre to Paris
-- CDG to SFO: fly through Frankfurt on Lufthansa and United
So that's the logistics part of the Trip Report. Now I'll start posting the text of my husband's blog with the links. By the way, the links also give you access to his blog from other trip going back a few years should you care to see those as well!
Enjoy, and happy travels to you all,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Solo Adventure
- 2 Alitala
- 3 First Solo Adventure
- 4 Tasting sherry in Jerez
- 5 PARIS
- 6 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 7 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 8 Crete Holiday
- 9 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 10 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 11 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 12 Where should I go with my family?
- 13 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 14 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 15 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 16 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 17 Stu Tower
- 18 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 19 Trains in Italy
- 20 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 21 Tour or self drive Douro?
- 22 Which Hotel in Rome
- 23 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 24 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 25 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland