So far, the first week of our travels is sorted - in London doing our own thing ( 20yrold daughter and I)
The next week in England is still hanging: dont know if the tour we have booked up the west side and on to Edinburgh will go ahead - depends on numbers and they wont let us know til late Dec at the earliest. If id doesnt go ahead, we will either stay in London and do daytrips or try to get around using the rail system
The third week is partly sorted: we will meet OH and drive the top half of Ireland...details will fall into place on that leg I suppose closer to the time
Then we will spend five days in Paris all together - the three of us...OH speaks French and has a great sense of direction so we will be spoilt that week
Then comes the uncertainty again: we have booked a 9 night tour down through Lyons to Nice and Avignon but not sure if there are enough numbers for this tour to go ahead and so now have to have a good PLAN B
At first, I thought wed simply follow the tour we planned on..maybe just stay in three towns and catch coaches for day trips from Nice or maybe Marseilles
However, someone mentioned that beaches arent the go in winter and perhaps it is better to go to a place like Switzerland where winter is actually embraced
This does make sense..we dont ski but I did have a fabulous non-skiing holiday just this last Feb in Banff and Vancouver Island so I know one can enjoy winter destinations even
when not involved in the outdoor recreations
I cant think of too many reasons not to head to Swiitzerland if our France tour doesnt go ahead apart from cost and availability
OH reckons only the ski resorts would be full in winter..is that true? Banff certainly wasnt fuill even during the ski season..theyre much busier in the summer months the locals told me
Is this true of Switzerland?
We will lose some time travelling from Paris and then back to Paris ( we fly out Saturday at for Singapore 11 am so we will need to be back from Switzerland the night before )
So what would you suggest?
Stay in France ? we dont drink so doing wine districts wouldnt be our thing...wed prefer to go to the north-west and see the Norman history or head along the same path the tour had outlined
In Switzerland ( ive been to Lucerne) wed be looking to do scenic raliway routes and stopping overnight in centres where there would be something going on at night.
Id love to take my daughter to Lucerne some day ...could well be on
this trip...she hasnt experienced the beauty of lakes and mountains ( we are Aussies who have easy access to the beaches and usually holiday locally around the coast)
Doubt that we need to go to Bern or Zurich but any other suggestions would be very welcome
8 days in France or Switzerland - Feb 2014
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A Greek sojourn
- 2 NEED ADVICE: 2 Months in Italy, 1 Month through Spain, Greece, and France
- 3 Germany: From the Mosel to Munich - A Detailed Trip Report
- 4 Where to stay in Tuscany with a 5 year old
- 5 Verona/Vicenza/Trieste--Best Place to Pick up Rental Car for Croatia
- 6 Pisa/Lucca Day Trip
- 7 Need Advice: 9 Days in Portugal in March
- 8 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 9 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 10 Autumn in Paris
- 11 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 12 Is Venice really dirty?
- 13 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 14 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 15 Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice with 4 teenagers, 1 kid, 19 days perfect!
- 16 Weekend in Norfolk
- 17 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 18 Updated ATM info for Greece and Turkey
- 19 Spain, best travel route between Madrid & Barcelona?
- 20 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 21 Riva del Garda to Rome
- 22 If you are looking for a good restaurant in Lisbon..
- 23 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 24 Burgundy in May
- 25 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY