My girlfriend and I are taking a trip to Turkey in early November. We arrive Saturday around noon and leave the following Monday around noon (a total of 8 full days with a few extra hours on either end). We want to spend 4 days in Istanbul, but then I really would like to visit Capadocia and Ephesus with the surrounding beaches. The original itinerary was:
Saturday: get to Ataturk, immediately transfer to flight to Izmir, night in Izmir
Sunday: Day trip to Ephesus
Monday: Hang out in Izmir or drive around to the beaches
Tuesday: Midday flight to Kayseri, night in Goreme
Wednesday: Hot air balloon tour + walking around Capadocia
Thursday: Fly to Istanbul in the morning
Monday: Fly home to the states
As we were looking to book internal flights, it seems like by going to all 3 locations, we'll end up spending almost a third of our trip on flights or transfers. We don't want to pack too much in, but also can't tell if it would be a giant mistake to skip out on either Capadocia or Ephesus. Given that it will be too cold to lay out on the beach, we'd probably skip Izmir/Ephesus, but then we'd feel guilty not at least seeing part the beautiful coast. What do you guys think? Is the original plan too much traveling and not enough time to sit back and relax? If we should cut out a city, which should we cut out? And if we cut out a city, what would you suggest as an itinerary?
Thanks so much!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 2 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 3 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 4 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 5 Barcelona - places to stay
- 6 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 7 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 8 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 9 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 10 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 11 Christmas Markets 2017
- 12 Language to use in Belgium
- 13 Private Ephesus Tour Companies
- 14 Istanbul at Easter
- 15 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 16 Palermo Apartment
- 17 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 18 SURPRISE TRIP
- 19 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 20 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 21 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 22 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 23 Fado in Lisbon
- 24 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 25 Switzerland for 2 weeks