My Husband will be visiting in Nice for a Business trip late May and so we just booked a last minutes 8 day (May 26 - June 5) trip to South of france, Flying and out of Nice. Excluding travel days we have 8 full days - may 28-june4 . We generally dont like the rushed Package tours like to travel at our own pace and enjoy planning our trips well in advance, this trip is an exception, trying to put together a last min trip, feel a lil overwhelmed due to lack of time to plan . So need Expert Fodorites advice on itinerary and Hotel to stay.
What we want to do in 8 short days:
We prefer visiting quaint villages, take in the local culture, visit local cafes, markets, little bit of art architecture, visit beach and let our 4 yr old play to her hearts content for a day or two but other than that we are not sunbathing people, but want the trip to be relaxing and don't want to rush and do all in one trip. If we have to skip few places due to lack of time, we would skip big cities/places like Monte Carlo and we can always come back and we have travelled in Europe before with our li’l one , 3 trips in past 4 years, though she is a good traveler, we want to keep enough time between cities to give her time to relax, and prefer not to drive more than 2 - 3 hours in a day and want to live some time to explore the place we visit and take in everything!
I would really appreciate if you can help and provide following info, thanks in advance
May 26: Day 1 Fly into Nice. Unwind
Stay 4 nights, any hotel suggestion??
May 27 - May 30: Explore Nice, canes, Antibes, and if possible one or two near by villages (St Paul, Vence, Tourrettes sur Loup, Gourdon)
May 31 - June 3: we want to explore cute little villages (Gordes, Roussillon, Bonnieux) and/or St Remy/Uzes/Pont Du Gard/ Les Baux area
Question: is this too much in 4 days? should we pick one over other? Need your help here
June4: Drive back to Nice, stay overnight
June5: Fly back home from Nice.
1. Can you suggest a hotel in Nice that will make a good base for 4 nights to visit nearby places via train, without having to rent car
2. Will 4 days be enough to visit villages of the Luberons (Roussillons, Gordes, Bonnieux etc..) and St Remy/Uzes/Pont Du Gard area or should we pick one over other? Won’t it be lot of driving around?
3. If we do decide to do both, should we make Roussillon or Bonnieux as base for 2 nights to visit Luberon villages(Gordes/Roussillon and Bonnieux) and st remy or Avignon the base for 2 nights to visit Les Buax, Uzes, Pont Du gard ??
4. Can you please suggest hotels for staying in St Remy , Roussillion or Bonnieux if we choose to stay overnight there.
5. For beach day, should we pick Nice or Canes, prefer a place from where we can head back to hotel quick.. ?
6. We are vegetarians so any suggestion and cafes and restaurants, well I will do my research on this for sure
Thanks for all the help and suggestion in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 2 Places to visit from Zurich
- 3 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 4 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 5 Germany-Car or Train
- 6 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 7 SURPRISE TRIP
- 8 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 9 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 10 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 11 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 12 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 13 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 14 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 15 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 16 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 17 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 18 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 19 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 20 thoughts on my itenerary France and Italy
- 21 Valencia Spain
- 22 Europe for Beginners
- 23 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 24 Travel from Barcelona to Dordogne
- 25 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)