A friend and I are planning an 8 day road trip after arriving in Southampton from a Baltic cruise on Sunday July 10. I was hoping for some advice on these plans. We have tickets to Highclere Castle for Monday July 11, so based on that, here's our tentative itinerary.
Day 1. Arrive in Southampton, rent a car, drive to see Salisbury and Stonehenge. Then drive to Newbury for the night to see Highclere Castle in the a.m.
Day 2. Highclere Castle tickets 10:30 am to 1 pm. Drive to Oxford and see some of the colleges. Either spend the night there, or drive on to Edensor area to see Chatsworth House in the a.m.
Day 3. Edensor and Chatsworth House, then drive back to Cotswolds. Stay in Chiipping Campden and either visit some of the nearby areas that afternoon or the next a.m.
Day 4. A little more Cotswolds and on to Bath.
Day 5. Drive from Bath to Cornwall. We don't want to drive all the way to the Southern tip. Is the Atlantic side more beautiful? e.g. around Tintagel / Boscastle? Or should we do the English Channel side? We would like to see gorgeous coastal areas and fishing village. And hopefully some view of moors, either in Cornwall or Devon.
Day 5. More of Cornwall or Devon...starting to head back Northeast.
Day 6. Drive toward London.. possibly see Winchester
Day 7. See Hampton Court and possibly Windsor Castle.
Day 8. Fly back home to US.
I know this sounds overly ambitious, but we're trying to pack in as much as possible. Any suggestions of scenic routes to take would be great also.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 2 Our future trip to Greece
- 3 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 4 Russia in two weeks in December
- 5 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 6 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 7 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 8 Christmas Day in Granada
- 9 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 10 car insurance italy
- 11 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 12 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago
- 13 Venice/Mestre
- 14 Itinerary advice Greece Nov 18-26
- 15 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 16 Spanish Medical Providers
- 17 Transylvania - June 2018
- 18 Italy Car Scam
- 19 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 20 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 21 Krakow
- 22 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 23 Quizz !
- 24 Pay attention to your watches !
- 25 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP