A friend and I are planning an 8 day road trip after arriving in Southampton from a Baltic cruise on Sunday July 10. I was hoping for some advice on these plans. We have tickets to Highclere Castle for Monday July 11, so based on that, here's our tentative itinerary.
Day 1. Arrive in Southampton, rent a car, drive to see Salisbury and Stonehenge. Then drive to Newbury for the night to see Highclere Castle in the a.m.
Day 2. Highclere Castle tickets 10:30 am to 1 pm. Drive to Oxford and see some of the colleges. Either spend the night there, or drive on to Edensor area to see Chatsworth House in the a.m.
Day 3. Edensor and Chatsworth House, then drive back to Cotswolds. Stay in Chiipping Campden and either visit some of the nearby areas that afternoon or the next a.m.
Day 4. A little more Cotswolds and on to Bath.
Day 5. Drive from Bath to Cornwall. We don't want to drive all the way to the Southern tip. Is the Atlantic side more beautiful? e.g. around Tintagel / Boscastle? Or should we do the English Channel side? We would like to see gorgeous coastal areas and fishing village. And hopefully some view of moors, either in Cornwall or Devon.
Day 5. More of Cornwall or Devon...starting to head back Northeast.
Day 6. Drive toward London.. possibly see Winchester
Day 7. See Hampton Court and possibly Windsor Castle.
Day 8. Fly back home to US.
I know this sounds overly ambitious, but we're trying to pack in as much as possible. Any suggestions of scenic routes to take would be great also.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 hotmail mail solutions CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h CAre 24/7
- 2 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 3 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 4 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 5 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 6 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 7 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 8 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 9 Paris hotel
- 10 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 11 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 14 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 15 Stuck in Paris
- 16 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 17 Berlin to ?
- 18 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 19 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 20 Renting a car in Greece
- 21 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 22 Spain - day driver advice
- 23 Greece
- 24 Ex-pats with young kids
- 25 Iceland france spain