A friend and I are planning an 8 day road trip after arriving in Southampton from a Baltic cruise on Sunday July 10. I was hoping for some advice on these plans. We have tickets to Highclere Castle for Monday July 11, so based on that, here's our tentative itinerary.
Day 1. Arrive in Southampton, rent a car, drive to see Salisbury and Stonehenge. Then drive to Newbury for the night to see Highclere Castle in the a.m.
Day 2. Highclere Castle tickets 10:30 am to 1 pm. Drive to Oxford and see some of the colleges. Either spend the night there, or drive on to Edensor area to see Chatsworth House in the a.m.
Day 3. Edensor and Chatsworth House, then drive back to Cotswolds. Stay in Chiipping Campden and either visit some of the nearby areas that afternoon or the next a.m.
Day 4. A little more Cotswolds and on to Bath.
Day 5. Drive from Bath to Cornwall. We don't want to drive all the way to the Southern tip. Is the Atlantic side more beautiful? e.g. around Tintagel / Boscastle? Or should we do the English Channel side? We would like to see gorgeous coastal areas and fishing village. And hopefully some view of moors, either in Cornwall or Devon.
Day 5. More of Cornwall or Devon...starting to head back Northeast.
Day 6. Drive toward London.. possibly see Winchester
Day 7. See Hampton Court and possibly Windsor Castle.
Day 8. Fly back home to US.
I know this sounds overly ambitious, but we're trying to pack in as much as possible. Any suggestions of scenic routes to take would be great also.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris hotels
- 2 Europe itinerary questions
- 3 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 4 Trek through Eur
- 5 London Hotels
- 6 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 7 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 8 Denmark or Sweden?
- 9 We're here!
- 10 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 11 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 12 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 13 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 14 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 15 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 16 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 17 Amsterdam hotels
- 18 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 19 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 20 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 21 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 22 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 23 Brugge hotel help
- 24 Five night Ireland Trip
- 25 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily