My husband and I have set our sights on Ireland for our 2016 vacation. We'll have 8 nights, and it'll be our first trip overseas (and likely our only to Ireland.) I've hatched out an itinerary, and I'm hoping you'll help me refine it. Do you think this itinerary is doable/a good use of our time?
A little about us: We live in a small town (population 750) in midwest, USA; This will be our first trip overseas; It may be our only trip to Ireland; We are in our late 20s/early 30s; enjoy outdoors, scenery, more remote areas, historical value, good food and good beer at good prices; speaking with locals; we prefer a more action-packed vacation schedule rather than relaxing one; we don't mind to drive a lot (our trip this summer to Yellowstone included 4,900 miles in 10 days); enjoy more down-to-earth pubs to fancy restaurants
Let me know what you think. Thank you in advance!
(2 night stay at Lawcus Farm, Stoneyford)
Day 1 - Arrive in Shannon on red eye (7:35 a.m.), get hotel nearby to sleep for a few hours if we feel like we need to, drive to Stoneyford, visit nearby Kells Priory if we feel up to it
Day 2 - Hang out at Lawcus Farm, fish King's River onsite -OR- Check out Stoneyford, Thomastown and later travel into Kilkenny to visit/explore
(4 night Stay at Friar's Glen, Killarney)
Day 3 - Drive from Stoneyford to Killarney with a stop at Rock of Cashel, explore Killarney National Park if we feel up to it on arrival (jaunting car or by foot?)
Day 4 - Hike/boat tour Gap of Dunloe
Day 5 - Dingle Peninsula, Slea Head Drive
Day 6 - Beara Peninsula, Healy Pass -OR- if we're too tired, explore Killarney more
(Stay at Marless House, Salthill)
Day 7 - Drive from Killarney to Salthill, explore Salthill/Galway
Day 8 - Drive to Connemara National Park -OR- if we're tired stay in Galway
Day 9 - Get up really early and take rental car back, catch 11 a.m. flight out to Shannon
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 2 Night Bus?
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 September Honeymoon advice (Paris, Switzerland and Italy)
- 5 Help us decide-- Ferrara, Mantua, Padua, Verona, Vicenza?
- 6 Eastern Sicily Itinerary Help Needed
- 7 Itinerary Help: France in Late September
- 8 Spain in November
- 9 Reading for Italy, Adventures Abroad
- 10 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 11 Shall we Gdansk?
- 12 What Car Rental Agency in Italy?
- 13 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 14 Rhodes: New town or Old Town
- 15 3 days outside Venice
- 16 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 17 Jewish Vienna
- 18 Short time in Vienna
- 19 Spain itinerary for sept/Oct?
- 20 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 21 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
- 22 places : Italy Austria Germany Switzerland France Belgium Spain
- 23 Is Dresden worth a day-trip?
- 24 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 25 Paris: Les Grands Voisins Project...