In late September my husband and I are planning a 7 week trip to Europe with our daughter who will be 16 months old (our first time to Europe). So we're planning on traveling slowly, staying up to a week at each place. We won't see a great deal of the continent, but we hope to have a decent experience in each place. We plan to stay at self-contained vacation rentals and eat in most nights since she goes to bed early. Mornings will be spent sight seeing, go to restaurants for lunch, then have quiet afternoons when our daughter naps. We will be flying in and out of Helsinki (due to a cheap flight). So this is our itinerary so far.
Arrive Helsinki - stay 4 days.
Side trip to St Petersberg - 2 to 3 days (catch train there, overnight ferry back to Helsinki)
(Fly Helsinki to London)
London - 7 days (day trip to the countryside, maybe Bath)
Paris - 7 days (perhaps day trip to Loire eg Blois)
Normandy - 5 days (car hire)
Switzerland - 5 days (probably somewhere around Lake Geneva, Gruyeres region or the alps around Gstaad/Saanen)
Venice - 4 days
Tuscany - 7 days (car hire)
Rome - 7 days
(fly back home to Australia via Helsinki)
A couple of questions -
- Do any places look like they would be too short/long in that area?
- recommendations of where to stay that is close to sights, public transport and ideally close to any farmers markets (or organic supermarkets)
- Recommendations on a nice small town to base ourselves for Normandy, Switzerland and Tuscany.
Thanks very much
7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy trip questions
- 2 Spain, Summer 2014 Itinerary Suggestions
- 3 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 4 Suggestion for travel memories
- 5 Would you recommend Sicily only or Puglia also for a 14-day trip?
- 6 Italy/Austria/Germany/France
- 7 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 8 Two Weeks in Italy: Umbria, Tuscany, Piedmont Itinerary Help
- 9 Budget family trip to Europe
- 10 1st time in Paris - apartment advice
- 11 From Paris to Bruselas-Amsterdam-London
- 12 Pyrenees logistics
- 13 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 14 Italy
- 15 Azores
- 16 How highly would you prioritize Portugal?
- 17 Honeymoon in the Alps (with skiing)
- 18 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 19 Driving in Italy
- 20 Andalucia by car or train???? please help
- 21 Two Weeks in France, reposting TR
- 22 Taormina to Palermo
- 23 Spain - car rental, bus or train?
- 24 Travelling from Paris to Madrid
- 25 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris