In late September my husband and I are planning a 7 week trip to Europe with our daughter who will be 16 months old (our first time to Europe). So we're planning on traveling slowly, staying up to a week at each place. We won't see a great deal of the continent, but we hope to have a decent experience in each place. We plan to stay at self-contained vacation rentals and eat in most nights since she goes to bed early. Mornings will be spent sight seeing, go to restaurants for lunch, then have quiet afternoons when our daughter naps. We will be flying in and out of Helsinki (due to a cheap flight). So this is our itinerary so far.
Arrive Helsinki - stay 4 days.
Side trip to St Petersberg - 2 to 3 days (catch train there, overnight ferry back to Helsinki)
(Fly Helsinki to London)
London - 7 days (day trip to the countryside, maybe Bath)
Paris - 7 days (perhaps day trip to Loire eg Blois)
Normandy - 5 days (car hire)
Switzerland - 5 days (probably somewhere around Lake Geneva, Gruyeres region or the alps around Gstaad/Saanen)
Venice - 4 days
Tuscany - 7 days (car hire)
Rome - 7 days
(fly back home to Australia via Helsinki)
A couple of questions -
- Do any places look like they would be too short/long in that area?
- recommendations of where to stay that is close to sights, public transport and ideally close to any farmers markets (or organic supermarkets)
- Recommendations on a nice small town to base ourselves for Normandy, Switzerland and Tuscany.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting to CDG Airport from Le Marais
- 2 3 days to spend in europe
- 3 Travel WiFi - France
- 4 Spain Itinerary Help
- 5 The annual Ganesha procession in Paris
- 6 Ireland one week
- 7 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 8 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 9 Seville in late January
- 10 Berlin restaurant recs
- 11 Guides - Matera
- 12 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 13 Orleans to Amboise on a Sunday
- 14 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 15 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?
- 16 RFID Protection
- 17 Spain Trip Report
- 18 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 19 20 free days of Europe
- 20 Help! American needs to get into Italy after staying >90 days
- 21 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 22 Limo from Heathrow
- 23 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 24 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 25 Iceland Trip report