In late September my husband and I are planning a 7 week trip to Europe with our daughter who will be 16 months old (our first time to Europe). So we're planning on traveling slowly, staying up to a week at each place. We won't see a great deal of the continent, but we hope to have a decent experience in each place. We plan to stay at self-contained vacation rentals and eat in most nights since she goes to bed early. Mornings will be spent sight seeing, go to restaurants for lunch, then have quiet afternoons when our daughter naps. We will be flying in and out of Helsinki (due to a cheap flight). So this is our itinerary so far.
Arrive Helsinki - stay 4 days.
Side trip to St Petersberg - 2 to 3 days (catch train there, overnight ferry back to Helsinki)
(Fly Helsinki to London)
London - 7 days (day trip to the countryside, maybe Bath)
Paris - 7 days (perhaps day trip to Loire eg Blois)
Normandy - 5 days (car hire)
Switzerland - 5 days (probably somewhere around Lake Geneva, Gruyeres region or the alps around Gstaad/Saanen)
Venice - 4 days
Tuscany - 7 days (car hire)
Rome - 7 days
(fly back home to Australia via Helsinki)
A couple of questions -
- Do any places look like they would be too short/long in that area?
- recommendations of where to stay that is close to sights, public transport and ideally close to any farmers markets (or organic supermarkets)
- Recommendations on a nice small town to base ourselves for Normandy, Switzerland and Tuscany.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 2 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 3 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 4 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 5 Trogir or Split
- 6 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 7 Help on ancient history route
- 8 Edinbrugh
- 9 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 10 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 11 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 14 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 15 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 16 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 17 Berlin to ?
- 18 Is Dresden worth a day-trip?
- 19 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 20 Maximizing Norway time
- 21 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 22 Hotels in Turin
- 23 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 24 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 25 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago