In late September my husband and I are planning a 7 week trip to Europe with our daughter who will be 16 months old (our first time to Europe). So we're planning on traveling slowly, staying up to a week at each place. We won't see a great deal of the continent, but we hope to have a decent experience in each place. We plan to stay at self-contained vacation rentals and eat in most nights since she goes to bed early. Mornings will be spent sight seeing, go to restaurants for lunch, then have quiet afternoons when our daughter naps. We will be flying in and out of Helsinki (due to a cheap flight). So this is our itinerary so far.
Arrive Helsinki - stay 4 days.
Side trip to St Petersberg - 2 to 3 days (catch train there, overnight ferry back to Helsinki)
(Fly Helsinki to London)
London - 7 days (day trip to the countryside, maybe Bath)
Paris - 7 days (perhaps day trip to Loire eg Blois)
Normandy - 5 days (car hire)
Switzerland - 5 days (probably somewhere around Lake Geneva, Gruyeres region or the alps around Gstaad/Saanen)
Venice - 4 days
Tuscany - 7 days (car hire)
Rome - 7 days
(fly back home to Australia via Helsinki)
A couple of questions -
- Do any places look like they would be too short/long in that area?
- recommendations of where to stay that is close to sights, public transport and ideally close to any farmers markets (or organic supermarkets)
- Recommendations on a nice small town to base ourselves for Normandy, Switzerland and Tuscany.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 2 Quizz !
- 3 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 4 Pay attention to your watches !
- 5 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 6 car insurance italy
- 7 Christmas Day in Granada
- 8 a group of old friends traveling to croatia
- 9 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 10 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 11 Itinerary advice Greece Nov 18-26
- 12 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 13 Venice/Mestre
- 14 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 15 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 16 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 17 9 Days in Spain
- 18 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 19 Glasgow, Scotland excursions.
- 20 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 21 8 Days in Spain
- 22 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 23 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 24 Italy Car Scam
- 25 auto europa or auto europe?