In late September my husband and I are planning a 7 week trip to Europe with our daughter who will be 16 months old (our first time to Europe). So we're planning on traveling slowly, staying up to a week at each place. We won't see a great deal of the continent, but we hope to have a decent experience in each place. We plan to stay at self-contained vacation rentals and eat in most nights since she goes to bed early. Mornings will be spent sight seeing, go to restaurants for lunch, then have quiet afternoons when our daughter naps. We will be flying in and out of Helsinki (due to a cheap flight). So this is our itinerary so far.
Arrive Helsinki - stay 4 days.
Side trip to St Petersberg - 2 to 3 days (catch train there, overnight ferry back to Helsinki)
(Fly Helsinki to London)
London - 7 days (day trip to the countryside, maybe Bath)
Paris - 7 days (perhaps day trip to Loire eg Blois)
Normandy - 5 days (car hire)
Switzerland - 5 days (probably somewhere around Lake Geneva, Gruyeres region or the alps around Gstaad/Saanen)
Venice - 4 days
Tuscany - 7 days (car hire)
Rome - 7 days
(fly back home to Australia via Helsinki)
A couple of questions -
- Do any places look like they would be too short/long in that area?
- recommendations of where to stay that is close to sights, public transport and ideally close to any farmers markets (or organic supermarkets)
- Recommendations on a nice small town to base ourselves for Normandy, Switzerland and Tuscany.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 2 Alps Drive
- 3 Praiano
- 4 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 5 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 6 No Periods in British Written English!
- 7 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 8 Help please
- 9 Funny One Michelin * Mix-Up in France!
- 10 Andalucia itinerary help
- 11 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 12 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 13 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 14 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 15 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 16 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 17 Perugia
- 18 Family vacation to europe
- 19 Paris cooking classes
- 20 Ronda Wine/biking
- 21 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 22 St Denis Cathedral
- 23 My Ring Road experience in Iceland
- 24 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 25 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?