In late September my husband and I are planning a 7 week trip to Europe with our daughter who will be 16 months old (our first time to Europe). So we're planning on traveling slowly, staying up to a week at each place. We won't see a great deal of the continent, but we hope to have a decent experience in each place. We plan to stay at self-contained vacation rentals and eat in most nights since she goes to bed early. Mornings will be spent sight seeing, go to restaurants for lunch, then have quiet afternoons when our daughter naps. We will be flying in and out of Helsinki (due to a cheap flight). So this is our itinerary so far.
Arrive Helsinki - stay 4 days.
Side trip to St Petersberg - 2 to 3 days (catch train there, overnight ferry back to Helsinki)
(Fly Helsinki to London)
London - 7 days (day trip to the countryside, maybe Bath)
Paris - 7 days (perhaps day trip to Loire eg Blois)
Normandy - 5 days (car hire)
Switzerland - 5 days (probably somewhere around Lake Geneva, Gruyeres region or the alps around Gstaad/Saanen)
Venice - 4 days
Tuscany - 7 days (car hire)
Rome - 7 days
(fly back home to Australia via Helsinki)
A couple of questions -
- Do any places look like they would be too short/long in that area?
- recommendations of where to stay that is close to sights, public transport and ideally close to any farmers markets (or organic supermarkets)
- Recommendations on a nice small town to base ourselves for Normandy, Switzerland and Tuscany.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 2 Heading to Amsterdam soon. Do you recommend I try weed?
- 3 Bath/Cotswolds
- 4 Shorts in South of France?
- 5 Spain: train/rental car help
- 6 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 7 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 8 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 9 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 10 Globus Iberian Tour
- 11 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 12 base for Andalucia
- 13 Italy travel plan help
- 14 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 15 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 16 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 17 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 18 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 19 Getting from Bordeaux Gare to the airport
- 20 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 21 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 22 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 25 Loire Valley best place to linger