In late September my husband and I are planning a 7 week trip to Europe with our daughter who will be 16 months old (our first time to Europe). So we're planning on traveling slowly, staying up to a week at each place. We won't see a great deal of the continent, but we hope to have a decent experience in each place. We plan to stay at self-contained vacation rentals and eat in most nights since she goes to bed early. Mornings will be spent sight seeing, go to restaurants for lunch, then have quiet afternoons when our daughter naps. We will be flying in and out of Helsinki (due to a cheap flight). So this is our itinerary so far.
Arrive Helsinki - stay 4 days.
Side trip to St Petersberg - 2 to 3 days (catch train there, overnight ferry back to Helsinki)
(Fly Helsinki to London)
London - 7 days (day trip to the countryside, maybe Bath)
Paris - 7 days (perhaps day trip to Loire eg Blois)
Normandy - 5 days (car hire)
Switzerland - 5 days (probably somewhere around Lake Geneva, Gruyeres region or the alps around Gstaad/Saanen)
Venice - 4 days
Tuscany - 7 days (car hire)
Rome - 7 days
(fly back home to Australia via Helsinki)
A couple of questions -
- Do any places look like they would be too short/long in that area?
- recommendations of where to stay that is close to sights, public transport and ideally close to any farmers markets (or organic supermarkets)
- Recommendations on a nice small town to base ourselves for Normandy, Switzerland and Tuscany.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Couscous
- 2 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 3 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 4 Lisbon
- 5 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 6 Seeking scenic route from Bala, Wales to london
- 7 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 8 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 9 Italian lake cruise
- 10 Vatican tour
- 11 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 12 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 13 Tuscany Itinerary
- 14 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 15 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 16 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 17 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 18 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 19 Madrid and Andalucia Itinerary and Travel Advice
- 20 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 21 One evening : Lausanne or Geneve ?
- 22 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 23 London in Winter Report
- 24 driving from London to Lourdes
- 25 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?