My husband and I are planning a trip for Turkey in early September. Unfortunately, we only have a week off from work but want to make the most of it! We are experienced international travelers, tend to pack a lot in to our itineraries and love to explore as much as possible -- even if it makes for some long days! Prefer to tour things on our own - not via large grps or tour guides - but would consider organized tours if it makes the most sense for specific sites/day trips. I know we will barely scratch the surface of Turkey on this trip, but would love your help & suggestions as we work out our plans.
We are booking our flts this week and plan to fly in/out of Istanbul. Our very tentative itinerary includes:
Fri 8/30 - depart Chicago at 3p
Sat 8/31 - arrive in Istanbul around 5p, get settled at our hotel (still tbd) and walk around a bit that evening just to grab dinner
Sun + Mon 9/1-2 - full days touring the sights of Istanbul
Tues 9/3 - either another full day in Istanbul OR day trip via air to Izmir to Selcuk/Ephesus
Wed 9/4 - fly to Goreme / Capadoccia in the afternoon (either from Selcuk or IST)
Thurs 9/5 - explore Capadoccia (we love to hike, sounds like there are lots of opportunities for that here!)
Fri 9/6 - hot air balloon ride, more exploring in the area?
Sat 9/7 - fly back to IST in the AM to allow for plenty of time to catch our evening flight back to Chicago
A few specific questions....
1. I've read mixed things about making Ephesus a day trip. Some say its doable if you're ok with a long day, others say its not enough or enjoyable. Thoughts?
2. If a day trip is doable, any suggestions on tour companies to help us arrange the day tri logistics & tour?
3. It seems like a lot of people rent cars for their time in Cappadocia. Is the area fairly easy to navigate? Any tips for driving/renting a car there?
4. We have some hotels in mind for Istanbul, but all recs welcome for Goreme
Thanks in advance for your help!!
7 days in Turkey - itinerary help please!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vienne or Lyon and then onward to Nice
- 2 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 3 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 4 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 5 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 6 TGV from Charles de Gaulle airport to Avignon
- 7 best beaches on the costa del sol
- 8 Travel with Teens
- 9 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 10 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience
- 11 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 12 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 13 Snowboarding in Poland
- 14 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 15 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 16 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 17 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 18 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 19 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 20 One Week in Costa del Sol with a rental car. Ideas for Day Trips???
- 21 15-days in Turkey with 15-month old, Istanbul and..?
- 22 Netherlands holiday with a 2.5 year old
- 23 Finding a hotel/resort on the Costa del Sol with an indoor pool
- 24 Barcelona and Costa del Sol
- 25 Paris Restaurants in the 7th