My husband and I are planning a trip for Turkey in early September. Unfortunately, we only have a week off from work but want to make the most of it! We are experienced international travelers, tend to pack a lot in to our itineraries and love to explore as much as possible -- even if it makes for some long days! Prefer to tour things on our own - not via large grps or tour guides - but would consider organized tours if it makes the most sense for specific sites/day trips. I know we will barely scratch the surface of Turkey on this trip, but would love your help & suggestions as we work out our plans.
We are booking our flts this week and plan to fly in/out of Istanbul. Our very tentative itinerary includes:
Fri 8/30 - depart Chicago at 3p
Sat 8/31 - arrive in Istanbul around 5p, get settled at our hotel (still tbd) and walk around a bit that evening just to grab dinner
Sun + Mon 9/1-2 - full days touring the sights of Istanbul
Tues 9/3 - either another full day in Istanbul OR day trip via air to Izmir to Selcuk/Ephesus
Wed 9/4 - fly to Goreme / Capadoccia in the afternoon (either from Selcuk or IST)
Thurs 9/5 - explore Capadoccia (we love to hike, sounds like there are lots of opportunities for that here!)
Fri 9/6 - hot air balloon ride, more exploring in the area?
Sat 9/7 - fly back to IST in the AM to allow for plenty of time to catch our evening flight back to Chicago
A few specific questions....
1. I've read mixed things about making Ephesus a day trip. Some say its doable if you're ok with a long day, others say its not enough or enjoyable. Thoughts?
2. If a day trip is doable, any suggestions on tour companies to help us arrange the day tri logistics & tour?
3. It seems like a lot of people rent cars for their time in Cappadocia. Is the area fairly easy to navigate? Any tips for driving/renting a car there?
4. We have some hotels in mind for Istanbul, but all recs welcome for Goreme
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Gluten Free in Italy
- 2 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 3 Restaurant Open on Monday's near Castlemuzio
- 4 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 5 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 6 Portugal trains
- 7 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 8 MID DECEMBER IN BUDAPEST
- 9 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 10 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 11 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 12 10 day Spain trip - which cities?
- 13 Tour of La Scala, Milan
- 14 Paris w/ Kids -- A family's first trip [report]
- 15 Edinburgh-London-Paris in that order
- 16 Royal Caribbean Cruise port to Arlanda, Stockholm airport
- 17 Rudesheim Bacharach or other suggestions.
- 18 Capri, Amalfi Coast, Naples in late June/early July
- 19 Help planning a driving trip in Eastern Europe in July
- 20 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 21 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 22 Sentimental Journey
- 23 Walking GPS?
- 24 A few last minute questions
- 25 3-ish Countries in 3 Weeks?