My husband and I are planning a trip for Turkey in early September. Unfortunately, we only have a week off from work but want to make the most of it! We are experienced international travelers, tend to pack a lot in to our itineraries and love to explore as much as possible -- even if it makes for some long days! Prefer to tour things on our own - not via large grps or tour guides - but would consider organized tours if it makes the most sense for specific sites/day trips. I know we will barely scratch the surface of Turkey on this trip, but would love your help & suggestions as we work out our plans.
We are booking our flts this week and plan to fly in/out of Istanbul. Our very tentative itinerary includes:
Fri 8/30 - depart Chicago at 3p
Sat 8/31 - arrive in Istanbul around 5p, get settled at our hotel (still tbd) and walk around a bit that evening just to grab dinner
Sun + Mon 9/1-2 - full days touring the sights of Istanbul
Tues 9/3 - either another full day in Istanbul OR day trip via air to Izmir to Selcuk/Ephesus
Wed 9/4 - fly to Goreme / Capadoccia in the afternoon (either from Selcuk or IST)
Thurs 9/5 - explore Capadoccia (we love to hike, sounds like there are lots of opportunities for that here!)
Fri 9/6 - hot air balloon ride, more exploring in the area?
Sat 9/7 - fly back to IST in the AM to allow for plenty of time to catch our evening flight back to Chicago
A few specific questions....
1. I've read mixed things about making Ephesus a day trip. Some say its doable if you're ok with a long day, others say its not enough or enjoyable. Thoughts?
2. If a day trip is doable, any suggestions on tour companies to help us arrange the day tri logistics & tour?
3. It seems like a lot of people rent cars for their time in Cappadocia. Is the area fairly easy to navigate? Any tips for driving/renting a car there?
4. We have some hotels in mind for Istanbul, but all recs welcome for Goreme
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 2 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 3 Chania
- 4 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 5 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 6 Incredibly Beautiful, Fira, Greece
- 7 Theoxenia on Santorini
- 8 Spanish food - not that special?
- 9 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 10 Rome travel book, Nice extra
- 11 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 12 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 13 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 14 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 15 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 16 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 17 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 18 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 19 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 20 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 21 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 22 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 23 Taking Renfe's FAVA Train Across Northern Spain?
- 24 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 25 Car rental in Santorini port