My husband and I are planning a trip for Turkey in early September. Unfortunately, we only have a week off from work but want to make the most of it! We are experienced international travelers, tend to pack a lot in to our itineraries and love to explore as much as possible -- even if it makes for some long days! Prefer to tour things on our own - not via large grps or tour guides - but would consider organized tours if it makes the most sense for specific sites/day trips. I know we will barely scratch the surface of Turkey on this trip, but would love your help & suggestions as we work out our plans.
We are booking our flts this week and plan to fly in/out of Istanbul. Our very tentative itinerary includes:
Fri 8/30 - depart Chicago at 3p
Sat 8/31 - arrive in Istanbul around 5p, get settled at our hotel (still tbd) and walk around a bit that evening just to grab dinner
Sun + Mon 9/1-2 - full days touring the sights of Istanbul
Tues 9/3 - either another full day in Istanbul OR day trip via air to Izmir to Selcuk/Ephesus
Wed 9/4 - fly to Goreme / Capadoccia in the afternoon (either from Selcuk or IST)
Thurs 9/5 - explore Capadoccia (we love to hike, sounds like there are lots of opportunities for that here!)
Fri 9/6 - hot air balloon ride, more exploring in the area?
Sat 9/7 - fly back to IST in the AM to allow for plenty of time to catch our evening flight back to Chicago
A few specific questions....
1. I've read mixed things about making Ephesus a day trip. Some say its doable if you're ok with a long day, others say its not enough or enjoyable. Thoughts?
2. If a day trip is doable, any suggestions on tour companies to help us arrange the day tri logistics & tour?
3. It seems like a lot of people rent cars for their time in Cappadocia. Is the area fairly easy to navigate? Any tips for driving/renting a car there?
4. We have some hotels in mind for Istanbul, but all recs welcome for Goreme
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 June Festivals in Lisbon?
- 2 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 3 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 4 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 5 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 6 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 7 roadtrip from Barcelona to Madrid
- 8 advance tickets?
- 9 car rental in Dubrovnik
- 10 38 Days in Paris
- 11 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 12 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 13 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 14 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 15 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 16 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 17 Cordoba Overnight?
- 18 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 19 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 20 UZES & NIMES OR Orange & Châteauneuf du Pape
- 21 How the kids age calculated
- 22 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 23 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 24 What tips can you give about packing?
- 25 Beaune France