My husband and I are planning a trip for Turkey in early September. Unfortunately, we only have a week off from work but want to make the most of it! We are experienced international travelers, tend to pack a lot in to our itineraries and love to explore as much as possible -- even if it makes for some long days! Prefer to tour things on our own - not via large grps or tour guides - but would consider organized tours if it makes the most sense for specific sites/day trips. I know we will barely scratch the surface of Turkey on this trip, but would love your help & suggestions as we work out our plans.
We are booking our flts this week and plan to fly in/out of Istanbul. Our very tentative itinerary includes:
Fri 8/30 - depart Chicago at 3p
Sat 8/31 - arrive in Istanbul around 5p, get settled at our hotel (still tbd) and walk around a bit that evening just to grab dinner
Sun + Mon 9/1-2 - full days touring the sights of Istanbul
Tues 9/3 - either another full day in Istanbul OR day trip via air to Izmir to Selcuk/Ephesus
Wed 9/4 - fly to Goreme / Capadoccia in the afternoon (either from Selcuk or IST)
Thurs 9/5 - explore Capadoccia (we love to hike, sounds like there are lots of opportunities for that here!)
Fri 9/6 - hot air balloon ride, more exploring in the area?
Sat 9/7 - fly back to IST in the AM to allow for plenty of time to catch our evening flight back to Chicago
A few specific questions....
1. I've read mixed things about making Ephesus a day trip. Some say its doable if you're ok with a long day, others say its not enough or enjoyable. Thoughts?
2. If a day trip is doable, any suggestions on tour companies to help us arrange the day tri logistics & tour?
3. It seems like a lot of people rent cars for their time in Cappadocia. Is the area fairly easy to navigate? Any tips for driving/renting a car there?
4. We have some hotels in mind for Istanbul, but all recs welcome for Goreme
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ls there anything such as Spanish cuisine?
- 2 Naples or Genoa
- 3 Rome to Positano
- 4 European countries thst could use some hospitality lessons.
- 5 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 6 Traveling with medication in bulk
- 7 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 8 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 9 Swimming in 17th century fountains in Rome
- 10 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 11 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 12 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 13 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 14 France to stop making foie grois
- 15 How big backpack do I need?
- 16 Itinerary help please!
- 17 Laundry - Ireland?
- 18 Prague on a budget...
- 19 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 20 Holiday Itinerary
- 21 Itinerary Help!
- 22 Spain in November
- 23 How best to spend a day in Tallinn
- 24 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 25 AVE train tickets questions.