My husband and I are planning a trip for Turkey in early September. Unfortunately, we only have a week off from work but want to make the most of it! We are experienced international travelers, tend to pack a lot in to our itineraries and love to explore as much as possible -- even if it makes for some long days! Prefer to tour things on our own - not via large grps or tour guides - but would consider organized tours if it makes the most sense for specific sites/day trips. I know we will barely scratch the surface of Turkey on this trip, but would love your help & suggestions as we work out our plans.
We are booking our flts this week and plan to fly in/out of Istanbul. Our very tentative itinerary includes:
Fri 8/30 - depart Chicago at 3p
Sat 8/31 - arrive in Istanbul around 5p, get settled at our hotel (still tbd) and walk around a bit that evening just to grab dinner
Sun + Mon 9/1-2 - full days touring the sights of Istanbul
Tues 9/3 - either another full day in Istanbul OR day trip via air to Izmir to Selcuk/Ephesus
Wed 9/4 - fly to Goreme / Capadoccia in the afternoon (either from Selcuk or IST)
Thurs 9/5 - explore Capadoccia (we love to hike, sounds like there are lots of opportunities for that here!)
Fri 9/6 - hot air balloon ride, more exploring in the area?
Sat 9/7 - fly back to IST in the AM to allow for plenty of time to catch our evening flight back to Chicago
A few specific questions....
1. I've read mixed things about making Ephesus a day trip. Some say its doable if you're ok with a long day, others say its not enough or enjoyable. Thoughts?
2. If a day trip is doable, any suggestions on tour companies to help us arrange the day tri logistics & tour?
3. It seems like a lot of people rent cars for their time in Cappadocia. Is the area fairly easy to navigate? Any tips for driving/renting a car there?
4. We have some hotels in mind for Istanbul, but all recs welcome for Goreme
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Fall 2016 England andScotland
- 2 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 3 Has anyone ever booked a Rome food tour with Elizabeth Minchilli?
- 4 Champagne Houses open in December - Reims
- 5 €2500 for full day boating outing on Amalfi coast?
- 6 London to Edinburgh transportation
- 7 Almafi Coast Vs. French Riviera
- 8 Texans Take a Tour
- 9 Need help for itinerary with 4 yr old
- 10 Japan or Italy next spring
- 11 English countryside help (Cotswolds and Bath?)
- 12 Bahn.de rail travel in Germany
- 13 Travel in England and Scotland
- 14 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 15 Night at MSM or Honfleur?
- 16 Schengen-Student Study Abroad-Student Visa Problems
- 17 Triple Occupancy room Amalfi Coast
- 18 Is it really 100 degrees F. in Paris???
- 19 Groupon Tours
- 20 short trip klon to koblenz
- 21 Puglia, where to stay for 8 days or so
- 22 Looking for architecture, paintings, castles, etc
- 23 French air traffic control strike early July
- 24 One night between Marseille and St.Remy?
- 25 London(ish) calling. 33C at 10:00am!