My husband and I are planning a trip for Turkey in early September. Unfortunately, we only have a week off from work but want to make the most of it! We are experienced international travelers, tend to pack a lot in to our itineraries and love to explore as much as possible -- even if it makes for some long days! Prefer to tour things on our own - not via large grps or tour guides - but would consider organized tours if it makes the most sense for specific sites/day trips. I know we will barely scratch the surface of Turkey on this trip, but would love your help & suggestions as we work out our plans.
We are booking our flts this week and plan to fly in/out of Istanbul. Our very tentative itinerary includes:
Fri 8/30 - depart Chicago at 3p
Sat 8/31 - arrive in Istanbul around 5p, get settled at our hotel (still tbd) and walk around a bit that evening just to grab dinner
Sun + Mon 9/1-2 - full days touring the sights of Istanbul
Tues 9/3 - either another full day in Istanbul OR day trip via air to Izmir to Selcuk/Ephesus
Wed 9/4 - fly to Goreme / Capadoccia in the afternoon (either from Selcuk or IST)
Thurs 9/5 - explore Capadoccia (we love to hike, sounds like there are lots of opportunities for that here!)
Fri 9/6 - hot air balloon ride, more exploring in the area?
Sat 9/7 - fly back to IST in the AM to allow for plenty of time to catch our evening flight back to Chicago
A few specific questions....
1. I've read mixed things about making Ephesus a day trip. Some say its doable if you're ok with a long day, others say its not enough or enjoyable. Thoughts?
2. If a day trip is doable, any suggestions on tour companies to help us arrange the day tri logistics & tour?
3. It seems like a lot of people rent cars for their time in Cappadocia. Is the area fairly easy to navigate? Any tips for driving/renting a car there?
4. We have some hotels in mind for Istanbul, but all recs welcome for Goreme
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 day stay - ideas of best place to visit in December
- 2 Puglia, and a touch of Rome
- 3 Train from Budapest to Bratislava or Brno
- 4 Black Cab Tour in Belfast
- 5 RHK's Fall escape
- 6 Europe Itinerary
- 7 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 8 Travelling to Europe from OCT 15 to OCT 30
- 9 Special Settings for Sitting! Paris
- 10 The Mystery and Beauty of Galicia
- 11 Norway Trip Report 2016
- 12 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 13 Baviaran Alps End April Good idea?
- 14 Arcachon Bassin--best area to stay
- 15 Oops - too many yes it is me me me
- 16 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 17 Scotland 1-week itinerary: Edinburgh + Highlands
- 18 Anyone visiting Ireland
- 19 New Airline for Naxos
- 20 Salzburg Christmas Eve Dinner
- 21 Does anyone know first hand of a private driver in Rome
- 22 Part 2: The Mystery and Beauty of Galicia
- 23 France: Montpellier, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Loire, Paris
- 24 Long Layover at the Heathrow Airport London
- 25 2 days in Aeolian Islands