We are planning our first trip to Switzerland during first week of July. It will be two adults with 2 kids (11 and 6). Needed some advise on our planned itinerary so we can finalize our plans. Our current thinking is to fly into Zurich and take the train from Zurich airport to Lucerne. We also plan to use trains for transportation and not rent a car.
Day 1: Fly into Zurich, train from airport to Lucerne. Dinner in Lucerne and get rest. Stay in Lucerne
Day 2: Explore Lucerne (lake and old town, etc.). Take the afternoon/evening train to Interlaken. Stay in Interlaken
Day 3: Excursion to Jungfraujoch, stay in Interlaken
Day 4: Explore Interlaken area (Lauterbrunnen, Wengen) and maybe boat ride on Lake Thun if time permitting. Stay in Interlaken
Day 5: Train in the morning to Montreux. Visit Chillon Castle. Overnight in Montreux
Day 6: Train back to Zurich. Overnight in Zurich
Day 7: Fly out of Zurich
Had few questions on this plan:
1. Is this itinerary reasonable and doable?
2. Any suggestions on hotels or B&B in all the towns we are staying overnight (Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux and Zurich). Looking for something close to train stations if possible. Price range around $250/night.
3. There is lot of debate on where to say in Interlaken area - Interlaken vs. some of the villages close by. Thoughts on this appreciated given we are traveling with kids and bags so want to minimize moving too many times as well as want convenience.
4. Is Montreux worth a visit or we should just maximize our time in the interlaken area or add an extra day in Lucerne instead of Montreux?
5. Believe the train ride on Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux is beautiful - is it similar from Lucerne to Interlaken?
6. Any suggestions for a chocolate factory tour in any of the cities we are staying? Doubt we can do the chocolate train so maybe just a tour would be fine.
7. Anything else we should think of doing in this trip?
Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Couscous
- 2 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 3 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 4 Itinery help Crete
- 5 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 6 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 7 CULINARY EXPLORING IN MADRID, SEVILLA, GAUCIN AND MALAGA
- 8 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 9 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 10 BA flights canceled until 18:00 local
- 11 TIM in FCO - update
- 12 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 13 Threat Level in UK
- 14 Driving a rental car from Croatia to Slovenia
- 15 Cartagena Spain
- 16 London in Winter Report
- 17 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 18 June Honeymoon in Greek Islands
- 19 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 20 3 nights in Madrid
- 21 S. Kensington London Restaurants
- 22 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 23 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 24 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 25 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa