We are planning our first trip to Switzerland during first week of July. It will be two adults with 2 kids (11 and 6). Needed some advise on our planned itinerary so we can finalize our plans. Our current thinking is to fly into Zurich and take the train from Zurich airport to Lucerne. We also plan to use trains for transportation and not rent a car.
Day 1: Fly into Zurich, train from airport to Lucerne. Dinner in Lucerne and get rest. Stay in Lucerne
Day 2: Explore Lucerne (lake and old town, etc.). Take the afternoon/evening train to Interlaken. Stay in Interlaken
Day 3: Excursion to Jungfraujoch, stay in Interlaken
Day 4: Explore Interlaken area (Lauterbrunnen, Wengen) and maybe boat ride on Lake Thun if time permitting. Stay in Interlaken
Day 5: Train in the morning to Montreux. Visit Chillon Castle. Overnight in Montreux
Day 6: Train back to Zurich. Overnight in Zurich
Day 7: Fly out of Zurich
Had few questions on this plan:
1. Is this itinerary reasonable and doable?
2. Any suggestions on hotels or B&B in all the towns we are staying overnight (Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux and Zurich). Looking for something close to train stations if possible. Price range around $250/night.
3. There is lot of debate on where to say in Interlaken area - Interlaken vs. some of the villages close by. Thoughts on this appreciated given we are traveling with kids and bags so want to minimize moving too many times as well as want convenience.
4. Is Montreux worth a visit or we should just maximize our time in the interlaken area or add an extra day in Lucerne instead of Montreux?
5. Believe the train ride on Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux is beautiful - is it similar from Lucerne to Interlaken?
6. Any suggestions for a chocolate factory tour in any of the cities we are staying? Doubt we can do the chocolate train so maybe just a tour would be fine.
7. Anything else we should think of doing in this trip?
Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 2 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 3 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 4 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 5 US foods not available in the UK
- 6 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 7 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 8 Amsterdam and...?
- 9 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 10 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 11 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 12 Andalucia Spain
- 13 Whistle stop family road trip
- 14 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 15 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 16 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 17 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 18 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 19 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 20 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 21 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 22 Driving in Italy
- 23 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 24 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 25 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?