We are planning our first trip to Switzerland during first week of July. It will be two adults with 2 kids (11 and 6). Needed some advise on our planned itinerary so we can finalize our plans. Our current thinking is to fly into Zurich and take the train from Zurich airport to Lucerne. We also plan to use trains for transportation and not rent a car.
Day 1: Fly into Zurich, train from airport to Lucerne. Dinner in Lucerne and get rest. Stay in Lucerne
Day 2: Explore Lucerne (lake and old town, etc.). Take the afternoon/evening train to Interlaken. Stay in Interlaken
Day 3: Excursion to Jungfraujoch, stay in Interlaken
Day 4: Explore Interlaken area (Lauterbrunnen, Wengen) and maybe boat ride on Lake Thun if time permitting. Stay in Interlaken
Day 5: Train in the morning to Montreux. Visit Chillon Castle. Overnight in Montreux
Day 6: Train back to Zurich. Overnight in Zurich
Day 7: Fly out of Zurich
Had few questions on this plan:
1. Is this itinerary reasonable and doable?
2. Any suggestions on hotels or B&B in all the towns we are staying overnight (Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux and Zurich). Looking for something close to train stations if possible. Price range around $250/night.
3. There is lot of debate on where to say in Interlaken area - Interlaken vs. some of the villages close by. Thoughts on this appreciated given we are traveling with kids and bags so want to minimize moving too many times as well as want convenience.
4. Is Montreux worth a visit or we should just maximize our time in the interlaken area or add an extra day in Lucerne instead of Montreux?
5. Believe the train ride on Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux is beautiful - is it similar from Lucerne to Interlaken?
6. Any suggestions for a chocolate factory tour in any of the cities we are staying? Doubt we can do the chocolate train so maybe just a tour would be fine.
7. Anything else we should think of doing in this trip?
Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 PARIS
- 2 7 nights in Iceland, in July 2018
- 3 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 4 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 5 sylvenstein road in Bavaria
- 6 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 7 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 8 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 9 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 10 November in Rome
- 11 Germany or Sweden
- 12 Alitala
- 13 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 14 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 15 Hotels in Copenhagen
- 16 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 17 Trip Report: 17 glorious days in Northern Spain
- 18 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 19 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 20 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 21 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 22 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 23 London vacation rental agency
- 24 Sicily help
- 25 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!