I have scoured the forums on this Spanish region but still find myself at a loss for how best to plan a 6 x Day itinerary in this area. I understand it is huge, so do not expect to see it all, and I don't want to be rushing the whole entire time so am calling on people for assistance and suggestions!
To give some background, we will be arriving into San Sebastian from France in mid September, then spending 2 x nights here. Then its onto Barcelona for 4 x more nights. I'm sure by this stage we will be ready to move south,and what we are after is suggestions of beautiful places to visit which are on the smaller side.
We are a couple in our early 30's. We love a good road trip so the plan is to hire a car and explore this region without being stuck in large places the whole time (not that Seville, Cordoba and Malaga don't sound amazing, because they do) But we get a little antsy stuck in larger places full of tourists and would prefer to find beautiful landscapes and get out off the beaten track a little. Also, this would be our 11th week in Europe and I think we may be more than done with cathedrals and museums (especially after Barcelona). We are happy to travel 4-5hrs each day in the car, stopping off at places as we go along.
We are open to visiting Granada, as this seems to be a good place to fly into from Barcelona and we can also hire a car from here.I wondered is it a large city or more on the smaller side? Whats it like in mid September in terms of tourists? My initial thought is from here we would head down to the coast from Granada, through this lower part of Spain, then head back inland and end up a few hours train ride away from Madrid on the 7th day.....
Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated! Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 2 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 3 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 4 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 5 Juangfrau / mt
- 6 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 7 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 8 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 9 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 10 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 11 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 12 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Switzerland
- 15 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 16 Questions about Polish sights
- 17 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 18 If you had to choose one......
- 19 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 20 Ireland travel passport question
- 21 Italy
- 22 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 23 Revised itinerary for italy
- 24 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 25 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!