I have scoured the forums on this Spanish region but still find myself at a loss for how best to plan a 6 x Day itinerary in this area. I understand it is huge, so do not expect to see it all, and I don't want to be rushing the whole entire time so am calling on people for assistance and suggestions!
To give some background, we will be arriving into San Sebastian from France in mid September, then spending 2 x nights here. Then its onto Barcelona for 4 x more nights. I'm sure by this stage we will be ready to move south,and what we are after is suggestions of beautiful places to visit which are on the smaller side.
We are a couple in our early 30's. We love a good road trip so the plan is to hire a car and explore this region without being stuck in large places the whole time (not that Seville, Cordoba and Malaga don't sound amazing, because they do) But we get a little antsy stuck in larger places full of tourists and would prefer to find beautiful landscapes and get out off the beaten track a little. Also, this would be our 11th week in Europe and I think we may be more than done with cathedrals and museums (especially after Barcelona). We are happy to travel 4-5hrs each day in the car, stopping off at places as we go along.
We are open to visiting Granada, as this seems to be a good place to fly into from Barcelona and we can also hire a car from here.I wondered is it a large city or more on the smaller side? Whats it like in mid September in terms of tourists? My initial thought is from here we would head down to the coast from Granada, through this lower part of Spain, then head back inland and end up a few hours train ride away from Madrid on the 7th day.....
Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated! Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 2 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 5 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 6 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 7 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 8 Road trip with our dog
- 9 Can parking
- 10 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 11 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 12 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 13 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 16 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 17 Douro Valley in January?
- 18 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 19 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 20 Munich and....???
- 21 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 22 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 23 italy Cinque Terre
- 24 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 25 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!