5 of us (29-30 yrs old) are going to Prague for 6 nights in mid May. We're trying to set a loose itinerary and we're hoping to see some other cities. Trouble is, there's no high speed trains in Prague so commute time is daunting when we see 7-8hrs on a train.
We had been throwing around the idea of Amsterdam for 2-3 days but we're still talking about 10hrs travel time when you figure in getting to the airport, being there early, the flight and then navigating to the city centre. So, we were hoping to find other cities that might not be as popular that are closer and something like 4 hours or less by train or bus.
I know Dresden is only like 2-3hrs and Brno is 3hrs as well. Question is, will it be different enough from Prague to make it worth it? We went to Italy last year (rome, florence, venice) and by the time we got to Florence we were kind of over the museums and mostly just walked around, rented vespas, drank and people watched to kind of take in the culture. We aren't stringent planners and like to be flexible in what we might do each day. Or, hopefully get some ideas from locals. I'd be interested in Budapest, but I need help convincing my friends. I think they want to be "wowed" by something? I think it's more that they don't understand what's there.
Sorry this got so long, but if you have any ideas on places or things to do to fill up 6 days in Prague (we aren't opposed to staying put) I'd appreciate the help. And in the interest of full disclosure, we had the travel bug and really landed on Prague because the package we got was cheap and didn't require a lot of time off work (as opposed to the Italy trip). We just wanted to be in Europe again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 2 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 3 Borghese Gallery Question
- 4 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 5 Sicily help
- 6 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 7 Italy Vacation
- 8 Stu Tower
- 9 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 10 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 11 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 12 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 13 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 14 London vacation rental agency
- 15 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 16 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 17 Germany or Sweden
- 18 Cork questions
- 19 Crete Holiday
- 20 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 21 Travelling alone to Turkey @18
- 22 Regent Seven Seas Cruise?
- 23 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 24 Spain: train/rental car help
- 25 Amalfi itinerary help needed