5 of us (29-30 yrs old) are going to Prague for 6 nights in mid May. We're trying to set a loose itinerary and we're hoping to see some other cities. Trouble is, there's no high speed trains in Prague so commute time is daunting when we see 7-8hrs on a train.
We had been throwing around the idea of Amsterdam for 2-3 days but we're still talking about 10hrs travel time when you figure in getting to the airport, being there early, the flight and then navigating to the city centre. So, we were hoping to find other cities that might not be as popular that are closer and something like 4 hours or less by train or bus.
I know Dresden is only like 2-3hrs and Brno is 3hrs as well. Question is, will it be different enough from Prague to make it worth it? We went to Italy last year (rome, florence, venice) and by the time we got to Florence we were kind of over the museums and mostly just walked around, rented vespas, drank and people watched to kind of take in the culture. We aren't stringent planners and like to be flexible in what we might do each day. Or, hopefully get some ideas from locals. I'd be interested in Budapest, but I need help convincing my friends. I think they want to be "wowed" by something? I think it's more that they don't understand what's there.
Sorry this got so long, but if you have any ideas on places or things to do to fill up 6 days in Prague (we aren't opposed to staying put) I'd appreciate the help. And in the interest of full disclosure, we had the travel bug and really landed on Prague because the package we got was cheap and didn't require a lot of time off work (as opposed to the Italy trip). We just wanted to be in Europe again!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 2 Hotel in Vienna
- 3 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 4 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 5 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 6 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 7 Itinerary Tweaking
- 8 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 9 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 10 Amalfi Coast help
- 11 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 12 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 13 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 14 Itinerary Help
- 15 Scandinavia in mid-March 2.5 weeks
- 16 House Hunting in France
- 17 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 18 Help with Tuscany villa that is a walk to town/restaurants
- 19 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 20 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 21 If you had to choose one......
- 22 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 23 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 24 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 25 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna