I'm wondering if those of you who are somewhat familiar with Paris could give me some advice. I will be traveling to Paris for the second time this June with a friend who has never been before, and I need some help on how to arrange things and organize our visit in an efficient way. Last time I went, the friend I was with did all the planning and I just followed her around. That was nice, but this time planning is up to me and I want to do a good job!
I hope I'm wording this in a way that is understandable: when planning a trip in terms of day-to-day activities, what is the best method? Should I plan activities for each day by neighborhood? By arrondissement? By individual sights? By something else?
For instance, should I pick an neighborhood each day and pick specific activities/restaurants/etc. within it? Or do you think it would be better to pick one or two interesting sights each day and plan everything else around those?
While we don't want to be too tied down by specific plans each day, I do want to have a general plan or starting point.
Some things that may or may not be important:
We will be there for 6 days.
I'm interested in eccentricities; I like a little weirdness, if that makes sense, so while I do want to see the usual big attractions (will you believe I 'skipped' the Eiffel Tower last time? I just enjoyed it from a distance), especially for my first-timer friend's benefit, I really like seeing what makes a city unique. I day dream more about wandering winding little side streets and out of the way places than about the Louvre.
We will be traveling mostly on foot and by metro.
I love to eat, but I wouldn't call myself a foodie. What I am is a vegetarian on a budget (both of us are). So acquiring food will be something we will have to think carefully about and plan accordingly, possibly more so than your average tourist. We hope to sample lots of pastries and treats! Are creperies and falafel places as good a bet as they seem?
Long story short, how should I approach planning daily activities? Any advice?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe itinerary
- 2 London road closings this weekend: Bike Race
- 3 Renting International Cars from USA
- 4 Europe itinerary review
- 5 Our time in Rome
- 6 Advice on these Madrid apartments and hostels please.
- 7 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 8 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 9 train from ravenna to parma
- 10 Timing when visiting the Dordogne Department
- 11 Suicide bombing in Ansbach
- 12 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 13 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 14 Enjoying England for a year!
- 15 European Travel in March
- 16 Les bons plans de whathello - paris - hotel
- 17 Spain - Advice for Beach towns
- 18 Transport from Prague to Slovenia-Croatia-Bosnia-Romania
- 19 My First Trip to Europe...
- 20 Looking for a car with a driver in Ireland
- 21 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 22 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 23 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 24 We are back!
- 25 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids