I'm wondering if those of you who are somewhat familiar with Paris could give me some advice. I will be traveling to Paris for the second time this June with a friend who has never been before, and I need some help on how to arrange things and organize our visit in an efficient way. Last time I went, the friend I was with did all the planning and I just followed her around. That was nice, but this time planning is up to me and I want to do a good job!
I hope I'm wording this in a way that is understandable: when planning a trip in terms of day-to-day activities, what is the best method? Should I plan activities for each day by neighborhood? By arrondissement? By individual sights? By something else?
For instance, should I pick an neighborhood each day and pick specific activities/restaurants/etc. within it? Or do you think it would be better to pick one or two interesting sights each day and plan everything else around those?
While we don't want to be too tied down by specific plans each day, I do want to have a general plan or starting point.
Some things that may or may not be important:
We will be there for 6 days.
I'm interested in eccentricities; I like a little weirdness, if that makes sense, so while I do want to see the usual big attractions (will you believe I 'skipped' the Eiffel Tower last time? I just enjoyed it from a distance), especially for my first-timer friend's benefit, I really like seeing what makes a city unique. I day dream more about wandering winding little side streets and out of the way places than about the Louvre.
We will be traveling mostly on foot and by metro.
I love to eat, but I wouldn't call myself a foodie. What I am is a vegetarian on a budget (both of us are). So acquiring food will be something we will have to think carefully about and plan accordingly, possibly more so than your average tourist. We hope to sample lots of pastries and treats! Are creperies and falafel places as good a bet as they seem?
Long story short, how should I approach planning daily activities? Any advice?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sunday Markets in Paris
- 2 Our Next Europe Trip
- 3 Paris, Salou & Barcelona
- 4 Passport question - carry with or leave at hotel?
- 5 Vienna to Salzburg Please Help
- 6 How to rent a car...
- 7 12 days in Italy
- 8 Looking for music in Istanbul
- 9 Tour du Mount Blanc
- 10 Day Trip to Sorrento - Help!
- 11 Itinerary tips for first timers
- 12 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 13 Cotswold for 3days
- 14 Trip Report Paris, Avignon, Lyon, Turin, Genoa, Reggio Emilia, Venice 2014
- 15 Balleseede Castle in Trallee or Killarney
- 16 Small-group day tours from London?
- 17 Did I make a mistake arriving Venice on a holiday (Nov 1)?
- 18 Going to Montmartre from Gare du Nord totally off the beaten track
- 19 Tech challenged: US car charger for IPHONE work in France and Italy
- 20 Malaga and the lost wallet
- 21 Paris Austerlitz to CDG on a weekday morning
- 22 Segovia Hotel
- 23 Favorite European cemeteries?
- 24 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 25 Edinburg for 24 hous