I'm wondering if those of you who are somewhat familiar with Paris could give me some advice. I will be traveling to Paris for the second time this June with a friend who has never been before, and I need some help on how to arrange things and organize our visit in an efficient way. Last time I went, the friend I was with did all the planning and I just followed her around. That was nice, but this time planning is up to me and I want to do a good job!
I hope I'm wording this in a way that is understandable: when planning a trip in terms of day-to-day activities, what is the best method? Should I plan activities for each day by neighborhood? By arrondissement? By individual sights? By something else?
For instance, should I pick an neighborhood each day and pick specific activities/restaurants/etc. within it? Or do you think it would be better to pick one or two interesting sights each day and plan everything else around those?
While we don't want to be too tied down by specific plans each day, I do want to have a general plan or starting point.
Some things that may or may not be important:
We will be there for 6 days.
I'm interested in eccentricities; I like a little weirdness, if that makes sense, so while I do want to see the usual big attractions (will you believe I 'skipped' the Eiffel Tower last time? I just enjoyed it from a distance), especially for my first-timer friend's benefit, I really like seeing what makes a city unique. I day dream more about wandering winding little side streets and out of the way places than about the Louvre.
We will be traveling mostly on foot and by metro.
I love to eat, but I wouldn't call myself a foodie. What I am is a vegetarian on a budget (both of us are). So acquiring food will be something we will have to think carefully about and plan accordingly, possibly more so than your average tourist. We hope to sample lots of pastries and treats! Are creperies and falafel places as good a bet as they seem?
Long story short, how should I approach planning daily activities? Any advice?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tips question
- 2 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 3 CDG airport, 2 tickets
- 4 Gstaad, trip for 2 days
- 5 Germany "Riddled with Crime"?
- 6 Relaxing destinations?
- 7 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 8 What clothes?
- 9 Airport Transfer Vienna
- 10 tipping
- 11 Advice about Naples?
- 12 Can I drive in Europe with a US license?
- 13 Florence-Uffizi and Accademia guided tour
- 14 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 15 Alsace Accommodations
- 16 Where to stay in lavender country in Provence?
- 17 What is the French job 'Rectifieur (ouvrier)'?
- 18 Need help with logistics for visit to Dordogne area, please.
- 19 Feedback on 3-Week Spain Itinerary
- 20 Edinburgh Conference Centre, Riccarton -- nearby hotels?
- 21 Need advice on Mt. Rigi hike from Lucerne
- 22 Before & after Dolomites trip
- 23 Switzerland/Italian Lakes Itinerary Help
- 24 Need accommodation advice for staying in central London
- 25 Visiting Cornwall without a car?