I'm wondering if those of you who are somewhat familiar with Paris could give me some advice. I will be traveling to Paris for the second time this June with a friend who has never been before, and I need some help on how to arrange things and organize our visit in an efficient way. Last time I went, the friend I was with did all the planning and I just followed her around. That was nice, but this time planning is up to me and I want to do a good job!
I hope I'm wording this in a way that is understandable: when planning a trip in terms of day-to-day activities, what is the best method? Should I plan activities for each day by neighborhood? By arrondissement? By individual sights? By something else?
For instance, should I pick an neighborhood each day and pick specific activities/restaurants/etc. within it? Or do you think it would be better to pick one or two interesting sights each day and plan everything else around those?
While we don't want to be too tied down by specific plans each day, I do want to have a general plan or starting point.
Some things that may or may not be important:
We will be there for 6 days.
I'm interested in eccentricities; I like a little weirdness, if that makes sense, so while I do want to see the usual big attractions (will you believe I 'skipped' the Eiffel Tower last time? I just enjoyed it from a distance), especially for my first-timer friend's benefit, I really like seeing what makes a city unique. I day dream more about wandering winding little side streets and out of the way places than about the Louvre.
We will be traveling mostly on foot and by metro.
I love to eat, but I wouldn't call myself a foodie. What I am is a vegetarian on a budget (both of us are). So acquiring food will be something we will have to think carefully about and plan accordingly, possibly more so than your average tourist. We hope to sample lots of pastries and treats! Are creperies and falafel places as good a bet as they seem?
Long story short, how should I approach planning daily activities? Any advice?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 2 5 women, Italy, need suggestions
- 3 Recommendations re walking tours in Dubrovnik and Split
- 4 Sleeping Beauty's Castle
- 5 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 6 Amalfi or Positano
- 7 Croatia travel ideas
- 8 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 9 Citadines Bastille Marais
- 10 Car Rental tips while in Greece?
- 11 Portugal and Southern Spain travel tips
- 12 2 Week Euro Solo Trip - UK, Paris, Brussels
- 13 Public Transport information App/Website
- 14 Backpack with Infant carrier?
- 15 Help required with Ireland Itinerary
- 16 Kids Travel Guides for Reading up!
- 17 church / cathedral (organ/classic music) concerts in Granada/Seville ?
- 18 12 Days in Italy
- 19 Cheap Paris Boutiques
- 20 Romantic snowy mountain getaway to propose to my girlfriend
- 21 house exchange
- 22 First Trip to Italy-2 weeks
- 23 St.Malo Suggestions ?
- 24 Poland in September
- 25 Taormina, Sicily