My husband, 2 sons (17 and 12), and I will be arriving into Nice from the United States at around 11:30 am near the end of July and staying in the French Riviera and Aix en Provence for 6 days before we head to the Italian Riviera. We would like suggestions on how to divide up the trip.
We would like to drive to Aix (inland route) and stop at some of the little towns along the way. We hear it is a beautiful drive, especially this time of year. On the way back to Nice, we also want to hit some of the smaller towns like Cassis. Of course, we will want to visit Antibes, Cannes, St. Tropez, St. Paul de Vence, Menton, Monaco, etc. We have been told that it is not smart to try to drive East on the Coast of Nice at this time of year due to traffic, so we were planning to take trains.
We think we will be too tired to drive when we arrive the first night. We had originally been planning to stay the first night in Nice, then drive to Aix for 2 nights, then back to Nice as our home base for 3 more nights.
Our second plan was to spend the first night in Antibes, the next 2 nights in Aix, and the remaining 3 nights in Nice.
Now that I started looking into accommodations, I remember the reason we usually rent apartments, so I am thinking maybe we should stay in Nice for 3 nights and then Aix for 3 nights or perhaps Nice for 4 nights and then Aix for 2 nights.
Because I have never been to any of these places, I was hoping that someone might have suggestions.
We like eating, shopping (unique items--not T-shirts and not brand name items), little towns, people watching, tourist attractions, art (but not so much museums), and eating (higher end). (Of course, if anyone has any "can't miss" experiences, we welcome those as well. I am just beginning my research.) We will likely go to the beach once or twice for an hour or two, but it is definitely not the focus of our trip.
Any recommendations on how to best divide up our time given your knowledge of the area--traffic, transportation, our interests, time of year, etc.?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 2 Golden sunsets in Tver and Torjor
- 3 An Escape from Turkish Chaos to Everyday Venice
- 4 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 5 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 6 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 7 What one thing in Paris?
- 8 Paris Under Seige...
- 9 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 10 One day cruise stop Catania Sicily Trip Report
- 11 Cinque Terre day trip in about 3 weeks
- 12 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 13 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 14 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 15 Five day Iceland getaway in rainy November
- 16 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 17 COP 21 transportation disruptions 29-30 November 2015
- 18 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 19 Restaurant for New Year's Eve in PARIS
- 20 where to visit besides Oslo for 2 days 1 night in mid december
- 21 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 22 Is It Better to Book Hotel Direct
- 23 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 24 Help with Itineray Central Europe
- 25 Sweden and Finland for 6 days in mid December 2015