My husband, 2 sons (17 and 12), and I will be arriving into Nice from the United States at around 11:30 am near the end of July and staying in the French Riviera and Aix en Provence for 6 days before we head to the Italian Riviera. We would like suggestions on how to divide up the trip.
We would like to drive to Aix (inland route) and stop at some of the little towns along the way. We hear it is a beautiful drive, especially this time of year. On the way back to Nice, we also want to hit some of the smaller towns like Cassis. Of course, we will want to visit Antibes, Cannes, St. Tropez, St. Paul de Vence, Menton, Monaco, etc. We have been told that it is not smart to try to drive East on the Coast of Nice at this time of year due to traffic, so we were planning to take trains.
We think we will be too tired to drive when we arrive the first night. We had originally been planning to stay the first night in Nice, then drive to Aix for 2 nights, then back to Nice as our home base for 3 more nights.
Our second plan was to spend the first night in Antibes, the next 2 nights in Aix, and the remaining 3 nights in Nice.
Now that I started looking into accommodations, I remember the reason we usually rent apartments, so I am thinking maybe we should stay in Nice for 3 nights and then Aix for 3 nights or perhaps Nice for 4 nights and then Aix for 2 nights.
Because I have never been to any of these places, I was hoping that someone might have suggestions.
We like eating, shopping (unique items--not T-shirts and not brand name items), little towns, people watching, tourist attractions, art (but not so much museums), and eating (higher end). (Of course, if anyone has any "can't miss" experiences, we welcome those as well. I am just beginning my research.) We will likely go to the beach once or twice for an hour or two, but it is definitely not the focus of our trip.
Any recommendations on how to best divide up our time given your knowledge of the area--traffic, transportation, our interests, time of year, etc.?
6 days in French Riviera and Aix en Provence
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is it worth driving around Southern Tuscany if we don't drink wine?
- 2 Madrid: Must Try Local Food & Drink
- 3 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 4 Scotland Votes "No"
- 5 venice, the dolomites, and the italian lakes - in 1 week
- 6 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 7 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 8 Hvar Town or Stari Grad
- 9 Please help with our Portugal itinerary.
- 10 US looking into preclearance at European airports
- 11 Air France strike is extended until 26 September
- 12 Munich Hotel - Stay at the Westin or Sheraton Westpark?
- 13 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 14 Rental car return -> Taxi at Barcelona Airport
- 15 White Christmas
- 16 Madrid: Atmospheric Old Taverns
- 17 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 18 Gtg San Antonio
- 19 Haarlem Holland - Hotels or B&Bs
- 20 Help with logistics of 2 days on the Rhine
- 21 Two weeks Verona, Bologna and Venice - time for other day trips?
- 22 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 23 Gift for French business associate
- 24 Wine tour from Verona?
- 25 Aix En Provence to Marsilles or Nice for a few days?