My husband, 2 sons (17 and 12), and I will be arriving into Nice from the United States at around 11:30 am near the end of July and staying in the French Riviera and Aix en Provence for 6 days before we head to the Italian Riviera. We would like suggestions on how to divide up the trip.
We would like to drive to Aix (inland route) and stop at some of the little towns along the way. We hear it is a beautiful drive, especially this time of year. On the way back to Nice, we also want to hit some of the smaller towns like Cassis. Of course, we will want to visit Antibes, Cannes, St. Tropez, St. Paul de Vence, Menton, Monaco, etc. We have been told that it is not smart to try to drive East on the Coast of Nice at this time of year due to traffic, so we were planning to take trains.
We think we will be too tired to drive when we arrive the first night. We had originally been planning to stay the first night in Nice, then drive to Aix for 2 nights, then back to Nice as our home base for 3 more nights.
Our second plan was to spend the first night in Antibes, the next 2 nights in Aix, and the remaining 3 nights in Nice.
Now that I started looking into accommodations, I remember the reason we usually rent apartments, so I am thinking maybe we should stay in Nice for 3 nights and then Aix for 3 nights or perhaps Nice for 4 nights and then Aix for 2 nights.
Because I have never been to any of these places, I was hoping that someone might have suggestions.
We like eating, shopping (unique items--not T-shirts and not brand name items), little towns, people watching, tourist attractions, art (but not so much museums), and eating (higher end). (Of course, if anyone has any "can't miss" experiences, we welcome those as well. I am just beginning my research.) We will likely go to the beach once or twice for an hour or two, but it is definitely not the focus of our trip.
Any recommendations on how to best divide up our time given your knowledge of the area--traffic, transportation, our interests, time of year, etc.?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 2 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 3 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 4 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 5 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 6 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 7 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 8 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 9 Rome or Venice first
- 10 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 11 A quick visit to Hampton Court
- 12 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 13 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 14 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 15 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 16 Last two nights of SW England trip
- 17 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 18 3 day trip to iceland
- 19 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 20 Alitala
- 21 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 22 Copenhagen/Hamburg Trip Report September 2017
- 23 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 24 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 25 celticmoon, a quick question