My husband and I will be in Ireland from 8th-14th October (leaving very early in the am on the 14th). We arrive in Shannon and depart from Dublin, and would like to have the 13th in Dublin to explore the city (I've heard we probably don't need much more than that).
I'm hoping for some help with the itinerary. I realize from reading and researching that a) driving takes much longer than Google Maps would say and b) that many people recommend staying on long trips. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of more time (government workers and all, and must get back to our overseas post in Africa), and are young and hate being in one place for long. We've never been to Ireland, and as much as we like to have the mindset of "We'll be back so just see one sliver of the country," with our careers that is rarely the case. As such, we have to kind of consider this our one chance (at least for a while) to get to Ireland, and we want to see as much as possible.
With those disclaimers, this is what I'm thinking (and would love input on it - possible activities I haven't thought of, or great places you've stayed/eaten):
Monday the 8th: Arrive in Shannon (late morning) - head to Doolin
- Cliffs of Moher
- Burren (maybe)
- Overnight in Doolin
Tuesday the 9th: Doolin to Dingle (leave very early am)
- Slea Head
- Overnight in Dingle
Weds the 10th: Dingle to Kinsale
- Essentially just stop and see what we want along the way - Ross Castle, parts of the Ring of Beara, etc
- Overnight in Kinsale
Thursday the 11th: Kinsale to Kilkenny
- Cashel Rock
- Side detour to Tipperary, where my husband's family is from
- Overnight in Kilkenny
Friday the 12th: Around Kilkenny
- Glendalough Monastic Settlement
- Kilkenny Castle
- Overnight in Kilkenny
Saturday the 13th: Kilkenny to Dublin
- All the fun things we want to do in Dublin
- Overnight in Dublin
Sunday the 14th: Dublin to Africa (super early am flight)
I'd also love some ideas for good rental car companies. The great thing about spending time in Africa is we're already used to driving on narrow roads in a right hand drive car (although we have more donkeys in the road than sheep) at a pace much slower than we'd wish.
I'd really appreciate your help, I'm kind of winging all this and realize it's ambitious, but we'd rather spend time in the car and be exhausted (I'm not worried about jet lag, it's a fact of life for us and we push through) and see things than feel like we missed something amazing.
6 Days Driving in Ireland - Itinerary Help?
- 1 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 2 Itinerary Help: Amsterdam-Zurich/Basel-Geneva in 10 days?
- 3 Ireland in a week
- 4 London 12 day itinerary suggestions needed
- 5 Copenhagen Weekend with Family
- 6 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 7 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 8 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 9 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 10 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 11 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 12 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 13 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 14 To Paris and Provence in June
- 15 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 16 all white pottery shop near La Deniere Goutte Wine Shop
- 17 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 18 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 19 Rental Agency Recommendation
- 20 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 21 London for Christmas
- 22 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 23 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 24 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 25 Location and Lodging in Amsterdam