My husband and I will be in Ireland from 8th-14th October (leaving very early in the am on the 14th). We arrive in Shannon and depart from Dublin, and would like to have the 13th in Dublin to explore the city (I've heard we probably don't need much more than that).
I'm hoping for some help with the itinerary. I realize from reading and researching that a) driving takes much longer than Google Maps would say and b) that many people recommend staying on long trips. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of more time (government workers and all, and must get back to our overseas post in Africa), and are young and hate being in one place for long. We've never been to Ireland, and as much as we like to have the mindset of "We'll be back so just see one sliver of the country," with our careers that is rarely the case. As such, we have to kind of consider this our one chance (at least for a while) to get to Ireland, and we want to see as much as possible.
With those disclaimers, this is what I'm thinking (and would love input on it - possible activities I haven't thought of, or great places you've stayed/eaten):
Monday the 8th: Arrive in Shannon (late morning) - head to Doolin
- Cliffs of Moher
- Burren (maybe)
- Overnight in Doolin
Tuesday the 9th: Doolin to Dingle (leave very early am)
- Slea Head
- Overnight in Dingle
Weds the 10th: Dingle to Kinsale
- Essentially just stop and see what we want along the way - Ross Castle, parts of the Ring of Beara, etc
- Overnight in Kinsale
Thursday the 11th: Kinsale to Kilkenny
- Cashel Rock
- Side detour to Tipperary, where my husband's family is from
- Overnight in Kilkenny
Friday the 12th: Around Kilkenny
- Glendalough Monastic Settlement
- Kilkenny Castle
- Overnight in Kilkenny
Saturday the 13th: Kilkenny to Dublin
- All the fun things we want to do in Dublin
- Overnight in Dublin
Sunday the 14th: Dublin to Africa (super early am flight)
I'd also love some ideas for good rental car companies. The great thing about spending time in Africa is we're already used to driving on narrow roads in a right hand drive car (although we have more donkeys in the road than sheep) at a pace much slower than we'd wish.
I'd really appreciate your help, I'm kind of winging all this and realize it's ambitious, but we'd rather spend time in the car and be exhausted (I'm not worried about jet lag, it's a fact of life for us and we push through) and see things than feel like we missed something amazing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Slovenia & Croatia itinerary help
- 2 air conditioning
- 3 Trip Report: Berlin
- 4 Spain (Ibiza or Majorca)
- 5 London(ish) calling. 33C at 10:00am!
- 6 Interesting new site in Utrecht
- 7 Ann Frank House
- 8 Barcelona Itinerary
- 9 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 10 Munich to Milan via train
- 11 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 12 cable cars at Wank Mountain
- 13 Paris Visite pass
- 14 Cheap buses in Germany/Austria
- 15 Need help with Switzerland and Italy iterinary
- 16 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 17 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 18 Turkey Draft Itinerary
- 19 My northern Italy itinerary - your comments are appreciated!
- 20 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 21 Barcelona sites: attire
- 22 Self-driving in Iceland
- 23 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 24 What company to rent a AUTOMATIC car in France?
- 25 First trip to Ireland--won't be the last!