My husband and I will be in Ireland from 8th-14th October (leaving very early in the am on the 14th). We arrive in Shannon and depart from Dublin, and would like to have the 13th in Dublin to explore the city (I've heard we probably don't need much more than that).
I'm hoping for some help with the itinerary. I realize from reading and researching that a) driving takes much longer than Google Maps would say and b) that many people recommend staying on long trips. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of more time (government workers and all, and must get back to our overseas post in Africa), and are young and hate being in one place for long. We've never been to Ireland, and as much as we like to have the mindset of "We'll be back so just see one sliver of the country," with our careers that is rarely the case. As such, we have to kind of consider this our one chance (at least for a while) to get to Ireland, and we want to see as much as possible.
With those disclaimers, this is what I'm thinking (and would love input on it - possible activities I haven't thought of, or great places you've stayed/eaten):
Monday the 8th: Arrive in Shannon (late morning) - head to Doolin
- Cliffs of Moher
- Burren (maybe)
- Overnight in Doolin
Tuesday the 9th: Doolin to Dingle (leave very early am)
- Slea Head
- Overnight in Dingle
Weds the 10th: Dingle to Kinsale
- Essentially just stop and see what we want along the way - Ross Castle, parts of the Ring of Beara, etc
- Overnight in Kinsale
Thursday the 11th: Kinsale to Kilkenny
- Cashel Rock
- Side detour to Tipperary, where my husband's family is from
- Overnight in Kilkenny
Friday the 12th: Around Kilkenny
- Glendalough Monastic Settlement
- Kilkenny Castle
- Overnight in Kilkenny
Saturday the 13th: Kilkenny to Dublin
- All the fun things we want to do in Dublin
- Overnight in Dublin
Sunday the 14th: Dublin to Africa (super early am flight)
I'd also love some ideas for good rental car companies. The great thing about spending time in Africa is we're already used to driving on narrow roads in a right hand drive car (although we have more donkeys in the road than sheep) at a pace much slower than we'd wish.
I'd really appreciate your help, I'm kind of winging all this and realize it's ambitious, but we'd rather spend time in the car and be exhausted (I'm not worried about jet lag, it's a fact of life for us and we push through) and see things than feel like we missed something amazing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 dinner jackets
- 2 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 3 Cordoba Overnight?
- 4 Piedmont as a destination
- 5 2 weeks Europe trip
- 6 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 7 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 8 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 9 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 10 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 11 Monemvasia or Gefyra
- 12 Alkmaar to Brussels - things to see?
- 13 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 14 ALICANTE - 1 Day Excursions
- 15 Please help me eat well in Greece!
- 16 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 17 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 18 Santa Margherta Ligure, Rapallo, Portofino....
- 19 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 20 ALMERIA - 1 Day Excusions
- 21 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 22 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 23 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 24 Dublin Leap Card
- 25 vegetarian in spain