I am planning my first visit to Ireland for Mid-April 2014, and will be happy to know if my following plan is any good:
First of all, is it a good choice to travel Ireland in April, weather-wise?
I have about 7 days for the trip (not including flights and connections), and would like to stay 3 or 4 nights in Kerry County and Clare County. I've decided to skip Dublin, land in Shannon and focus on the West and South-West. I figure I'll visit Dublin in the future.
As for transportation - I will be depending only on public transportation, since, unfortunately, I don't know how to cycle OR drive on the left side of the road, and since I will be travelling solo, I chose buses and trains as my wheels..
My main goal is Ireland's nature and beautiful scenery. I would like to make base in a central town and go out on day trips.
In Kerry Co. I've read wonderful things about Dunloe View Hostel, in Fossa, 8 Km from Killarney Town. My main fear is that Fossa is not in a central area, so coming and going everyday will be a bit of a "pain", and also, it will be difficult to visit the Killarney pubs if you don't have a car. Is this correct?
In Clare County, I am still undecided about where to base myself. I thought about Doolin, but read that it's a tourist trap, so maybe Ennis? Shannon? Limerick?
Also, I would like to go see Father Ted's House. is it worth a day trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 2 Portugal itinerary help
- 3 Visiting Spain in January
- 4 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 5 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 6 Europe in late January
- 7 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 8 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 9 English Countryside
- 10 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 11 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 12 Paris---baguette question???
- 13 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 14 French immersion courses in France
- 15 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 16 Scenic Driving Routes
- 17 Berlin
- 18 First Time Europe Itinerary 8 Weeks
- 19 1-Day Drive: Ballyvaughan to Dublin, which of these 3 routes?
- 20 Europe in the Winter for a week
- 21 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 22 Pyrenees 10-Day Driving Itinerary
- 23 Puglia & Matera in photos
- 24 Flights from Croatia
- 25 Amsterdam Festival of LIghts