I am planning my first visit to Ireland for Mid-April 2014, and will be happy to know if my following plan is any good:
First of all, is it a good choice to travel Ireland in April, weather-wise?
I have about 7 days for the trip (not including flights and connections), and would like to stay 3 or 4 nights in Kerry County and Clare County. I've decided to skip Dublin, land in Shannon and focus on the West and South-West. I figure I'll visit Dublin in the future.
As for transportation - I will be depending only on public transportation, since, unfortunately, I don't know how to cycle OR drive on the left side of the road, and since I will be travelling solo, I chose buses and trains as my wheels..
My main goal is Ireland's nature and beautiful scenery. I would like to make base in a central town and go out on day trips.
In Kerry Co. I've read wonderful things about Dunloe View Hostel, in Fossa, 8 Km from Killarney Town. My main fear is that Fossa is not in a central area, so coming and going everyday will be a bit of a "pain", and also, it will be difficult to visit the Killarney pubs if you don't have a car. Is this correct?
In Clare County, I am still undecided about where to base myself. I thought about Doolin, but read that it's a tourist trap, so maybe Ennis? Shannon? Limerick?
Also, I would like to go see Father Ted's House. is it worth a day trip?
6-7 days in Kerry & Clare Co.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 GuideAdvisor, beware!!
- 2 Winter in europe - am I being too ambitious?
- 3 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 4 Open Jaw Ticket...NYC-LHR;FCO-NYC Cost
- 5 How tough are they with carry-ons for intra European flights?
- 6 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 7 Question: import tax on personal musical instruments?
- 8 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 9 Train to Harry Potter Studio---Tips?
- 10 Greece after the Vote
- 11 Madrid hotel near Atocha Station
- 12 Heading off to our 18day Eurotrip soon - 3000€ for 2 people? Enough?
- 13 Recommendations for hotels in Helsinki
- 14 BOS - CDG airfare in late April?
- 15 Paris Apt Locations - Your Opinion on Apts
- 16 Italy/France Itinerary - What do You Think?
- 17 Destination Benson; help with 2 options, please
- 18 Satnav maps update
- 19 London Newport Court apartment rental advice
- 20 which is worse in july - rome or venice?
- 21 Ever Seen the 'Baked Bean' In London?
- 22 What else for kids to see/do near Guedelon?
- 23 Toulouse, The Dordogne(based in Sarlat) and Paris
- 24 half day at Madrid Prado ?
- 25 mallorca