I am planning my first visit to Ireland for Mid-April 2014, and will be happy to know if my following plan is any good:
First of all, is it a good choice to travel Ireland in April, weather-wise?
I have about 7 days for the trip (not including flights and connections), and would like to stay 3 or 4 nights in Kerry County and Clare County. I've decided to skip Dublin, land in Shannon and focus on the West and South-West. I figure I'll visit Dublin in the future.
As for transportation - I will be depending only on public transportation, since, unfortunately, I don't know how to cycle OR drive on the left side of the road, and since I will be travelling solo, I chose buses and trains as my wheels..
My main goal is Ireland's nature and beautiful scenery. I would like to make base in a central town and go out on day trips.
In Kerry Co. I've read wonderful things about Dunloe View Hostel, in Fossa, 8 Km from Killarney Town. My main fear is that Fossa is not in a central area, so coming and going everyday will be a bit of a "pain", and also, it will be difficult to visit the Killarney pubs if you don't have a car. Is this correct?
In Clare County, I am still undecided about where to base myself. I thought about Doolin, but read that it's a tourist trap, so maybe Ennis? Shannon? Limerick?
Also, I would like to go see Father Ted's House. is it worth a day trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Basque region of Spain and France in 10 days with kids
- 2 Schengen-Student Study Abroad-Student Visa Problems
- 3 Your thoughts on day trips out of Venice
- 4 HeathrowAirport to bakery
- 5 8 days in Andalusia-what do you think?
- 6 Northern Italy/Tuscany ideas
- 7 Itinerary Help for Wheelchair Traveler
- 8 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 9 How to get to Mallorca
- 10 DDay Tours - private or group?
- 11 Hotel suggestions in Amsterdam
- 12 Need help with Europe itinerary
- 13 Kathie & Cheryl plan our 2016 trip to Europe
- 14 Venice : Trying not to overplan
- 15 First EuroTrip decision/planning help
- 16 Family Itinerary April 2016
- 17 Best area of the Morvan?
- 18 Switzerland 5 days
- 19 france options
- 20 3 days Paris -Trying to fit everything in
- 21 Todi as a stopover?
- 22 Southern Italy
- 23 Itinerary feedback, 4/5 days in Iceland
- 24 Gullet Cruise in Turkey
- 25 Provence Restaurant Suggestions