I am planning my first visit to Ireland for Mid-April 2014, and will be happy to know if my following plan is any good:
First of all, is it a good choice to travel Ireland in April, weather-wise?
I have about 7 days for the trip (not including flights and connections), and would like to stay 3 or 4 nights in Kerry County and Clare County. I've decided to skip Dublin, land in Shannon and focus on the West and South-West. I figure I'll visit Dublin in the future.
As for transportation - I will be depending only on public transportation, since, unfortunately, I don't know how to cycle OR drive on the left side of the road, and since I will be travelling solo, I chose buses and trains as my wheels..
My main goal is Ireland's nature and beautiful scenery. I would like to make base in a central town and go out on day trips.
In Kerry Co. I've read wonderful things about Dunloe View Hostel, in Fossa, 8 Km from Killarney Town. My main fear is that Fossa is not in a central area, so coming and going everyday will be a bit of a "pain", and also, it will be difficult to visit the Killarney pubs if you don't have a car. Is this correct?
In Clare County, I am still undecided about where to base myself. I thought about Doolin, but read that it's a tourist trap, so maybe Ennis? Shannon? Limerick?
Also, I would like to go see Father Ted's House. is it worth a day trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 15 days trip to Europe
- 2 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 3 Vuerling airlines
- 4 Books and Films about/set in Southern Italy
- 5 Italy/ Sicily - Help with area west of Palermo
- 6 Flamenco concerts in Madrid
- 7 France for a month in 2017
- 8 Swiss: 9 day trip
- 9 RENFE error message during payment
- 10 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 11 Flaminco recommendations for Seville September 29 to October 1
- 12 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 13 Paris restaurants in/near 12th arr.
- 14 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 15 Venice Film Fest
- 16 Europe itinerary
- 17 Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Budapest
- 18 All of Spain or something else..?
- 19 10 Days in Spain is this do-able or nuts?
- 20 Poland, Czech, Slovak Summer Holiday
- 21 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium and France
- 22 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays
- 23 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 24 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 25 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam