I am planning my first visit to Ireland for Mid-April 2014, and will be happy to know if my following plan is any good:
First of all, is it a good choice to travel Ireland in April, weather-wise?
I have about 7 days for the trip (not including flights and connections), and would like to stay 3 or 4 nights in Kerry County and Clare County. I've decided to skip Dublin, land in Shannon and focus on the West and South-West. I figure I'll visit Dublin in the future.
As for transportation - I will be depending only on public transportation, since, unfortunately, I don't know how to cycle OR drive on the left side of the road, and since I will be travelling solo, I chose buses and trains as my wheels..
My main goal is Ireland's nature and beautiful scenery. I would like to make base in a central town and go out on day trips.
In Kerry Co. I've read wonderful things about Dunloe View Hostel, in Fossa, 8 Km from Killarney Town. My main fear is that Fossa is not in a central area, so coming and going everyday will be a bit of a "pain", and also, it will be difficult to visit the Killarney pubs if you don't have a car. Is this correct?
In Clare County, I am still undecided about where to base myself. I thought about Doolin, but read that it's a tourist trap, so maybe Ennis? Shannon? Limerick?
Also, I would like to go see Father Ted's House. is it worth a day trip?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 2 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 3 Wine tasting in Santorini
- 4 cell phone companys
- 5 Itinerary and Hotel Recommendations -- Amalfi Coast
- 6 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 7 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 8 My 7 day Provence itinerary... workable?
- 9 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 10 Spain Itinerary Help
- 11 Croatia Roadtrip: Plitvice -> Dubrovnik in August
- 12 Ravello to Paestum
- 13 Barcelona completely overrated
- 14 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 15 Hotel recommendation in Berchtesgaden
- 16 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 17 My Home Exchange Near Lake Como
- 18 First time in London...hotel for mother/daughter trip?
- 19 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 20 Two weeks in Puglia - Help with itinerary please
- 21 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 22 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 23 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 24 Ideas for travel (hiking) in Northern Italy
- 25 Itinerary Help!