I am planning my first visit to Ireland for Mid-April 2014, and will be happy to know if my following plan is any good:
First of all, is it a good choice to travel Ireland in April, weather-wise?
I have about 7 days for the trip (not including flights and connections), and would like to stay 3 or 4 nights in Kerry County and Clare County. I've decided to skip Dublin, land in Shannon and focus on the West and South-West. I figure I'll visit Dublin in the future.
As for transportation - I will be depending only on public transportation, since, unfortunately, I don't know how to cycle OR drive on the left side of the road, and since I will be travelling solo, I chose buses and trains as my wheels..
My main goal is Ireland's nature and beautiful scenery. I would like to make base in a central town and go out on day trips.
In Kerry Co. I've read wonderful things about Dunloe View Hostel, in Fossa, 8 Km from Killarney Town. My main fear is that Fossa is not in a central area, so coming and going everyday will be a bit of a "pain", and also, it will be difficult to visit the Killarney pubs if you don't have a car. Is this correct?
In Clare County, I am still undecided about where to base myself. I thought about Doolin, but read that it's a tourist trap, so maybe Ennis? Shannon? Limerick?
Also, I would like to go see Father Ted's House. is it worth a day trip?
6-7 days in Kerry & Clare Co.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Small group for Colosseum
- 2 Any knowledge of the Kavouri - Vouliagmeni (Athens Suburbs) Greece
- 3 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 4 Useful website for France
- 5 Water taxi reservations in Venice
- 6 The Times reveals secret best beaches: mediterranean
- 7 Day trip to Northern Italy Suggestions
- 8 What to wear
- 9 Munich and Dachau
- 10 London visit
- 11 Duoro river cruises
- 12 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 13 Trouble purchasing tickets to Sagrada Familia online
- 14 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 15 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 16 Our Silver Lining Tour: A German Journey & Queen's Day Too
- 17 SIM card for eastern europe
- 18 Suggestions for Trip to Villefranche-sur-Mer
- 19 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 20 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help Please
- 21 Madrid and London
- 22 Back from Budapest- Report Including Eger, Szentendre and London
- 23 21 Days in Central Europe
- 24 Three days in Spain
- 25 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?