You may recall I posted several months ago to get encouragement about going solo to Italy this fall when my marriage of 26 years ends. At the time I was trying to do a women's only walking tour in Umbria in October. The tour I wanted was full, so I was looking for other alternatives. I got great support and advice from everyone on this board. Anyway, I just wanted to give you all an update on my plans.
For various reasons, I decided to travel in September instead of October. It turns out that I found a newly offered women's only walking tour to Umbria in mid-September, so I booked it. It's almost exactly the same as the Country Walkers trip I was originally looking at, and is through a group called The Wayfarers. We start in Spoleto and end in Perugia, stopping in Spello, Montefalco, Assisi and Bevagna on the way. Before joining the tour, I'm spending four nights on my own in Rome, and am also spending an extra night in Perugia at the end. I'm really excited about it.
I have almost all of my arrangements made. I just need to decide whether to splurge for a airport shuttle or whether to take the train and cab to my hotel. I'm also considering guided tours of some of the sites in Rome so that I'm not entirely alone for the whole four days I'm there. I'm staying at the hotel Due Torri in Rome which is reasonably priced for a single room and looks to be in an excellent location.
I had my first taste of solo travel last week when a friend had to cancel out of a planned five day getaway to the Pacific Northwest and I went by myself. Except for being a little lonely the first two nights at dinner and back in my hotel room, it was fine. The next two days I had signed up for group tours (hiking and sea kayaking) and being with people during the day made it fine to be on my own in the evening. Overall I had a great time and now feel encouraged that I can travel anywhere on my own and have fun. Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone on my Italy plans, and thank you again for all your support and encouragement when I posted before. If anyone has any other advice, I'm open to it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 G SBCGLOBAL Password Reset CONTACT ☎1800:681:7208 SBCGLOBAL Tec(SUPPORT CAR
- 2 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 3 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 4 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 5 Now to Madrid
- 6 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 7 3 days solo in London
- 8 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 9 Chania
- 10 Edinbrugh
- 11 Berlin to ?
- 12 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 13 Hotels in Turin
- 14 Help on ancient history route
- 15 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 16 Studying art in English in venice
- 17 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 18 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 19 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 20 Forte dei Marmi - must see/do list
- 21 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 22 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 23 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 24 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 25 Greek Mainland Itinerary