A friend and I are in the initial stages of planning 5 weeks of backpacking in Europe. We are use to travelling using overland tour groups and enjoy the fast pace nature of them. This time we want to go it alone but still cover a lot of distance in our short time. So far we have:
1. Amsterdam (3 nights)
2. Bruges (1 night)
3. Paris (4 nights) Where we will spend Christmas
4. London (4 nights)
5. Edinburgh (3 nights) Hogmanay festival for New Years
6. Munich (2 nights)
7. Salzburg (1 night)
8. Vienna (2 nights)
9. Budapest (2 nights)
10. Zagreb (3 nights)
11. Ljubljana (2 nights)
12. Venice (2 nights)
13. Rome (5 nights)
Apart from the Edinburgh to Munich leg (which we plan to fly), we were hoping for peoples recommendations for bus/train travel. Are we best to get a Eurail pass?
We are both young and enjoy a good night out and meeting people. We also love adventure sports and want to see the keystone attractions in these destinations. Do people have any suggestions for our itinerary? Any recommendations of day tours/ combined passes? Any suggestions for youth accommodation?
Thanks in advance. We look forward to hearing peoples hits and misses!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 Days in Spain
- 2 9 Days in Spain
- 3 Iceland early december visit
- 4 Christmas in Dresden 2017
- 5 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 6 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 7 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 8 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 9 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 10 Milan or Turin
- 11 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 12 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 13 Barcelona alternative
- 14 Paris to Italy
- 15 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 16 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 17 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 18 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 19 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 20 Frankfurt to UK
- 21 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 22 God Save the Queen?
- 23 Road trip with our dog
- 24 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 25 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna