Hi travel lovers,
My wife and I are thinking about a 5-week honeymoon in Turkey in the summer of 2012. I’m from Denizli, Turkey and live in the US. My wife is American. We already had a US wedding with her family and will have a traditional Turkish wedding with my hordes of relatives I haven’t been in Turkey since 2008 due to graduate school and we will be staying for over 2 months. After 2 weeks of staying with my family and taking care of wedding process, we will be on the road! I love beaches more but my wife is into historical and cultural places. Both of us are not fans of touristy-all inclusive resort hotels. Our goal is to balance each other’s interests. We will be renting a car for a month. Below is the route information:
Denizli to Konya (2 nights)
Konya to Cappadocia (3 nights)
Cappadocia to Ankara (3 nights)
Ankara to Iznik (1 night)
Iznik to Canakkale (4 nights)
Canakkale to Ayvalik (2 nights)
Ayvalik to Cesme (3 nights)
Cesme to Gulluk (1 night)
Gulluk to Dalyan (2 nights)
Dalyan to Kalkan (4 nights)
Kalkan to Cirali (3 nights)
Cirali to Denizli
Step1 (Night #2): Denizli to Konya (stay in Konya for 2 nights)
We will pass Isparta and Lake Egirdir. Our goal is to have lunch near Lake Egirdir and arrive Konya in the afternoon.
Step 2 (Night #5): Konya to Cappadocia (stay in Cappadocia for 3 nights)
We will definitely stay in a cave hotel and visit Goreme and Urgup.
Step 3 (Night #8): Cappadocia to Ankara (Stay in Ankara for 3 nights)
I went to college at Bilkent and am very familiar with Ankara. I don’t like the Ulus area, so our goal is to stay close to Kizilay. We want to see the archeological museum, the castle, Bilkent, AOC, etc.
Step 4 (Night #9): Ankara to Iznik (Stay in Iznik for 1 night)
We would like to stay in Iznik Cini Vakfi houses to experience traditional tile making. My wife wants to buy all of the Iznik tiles.
Step 5 (Night #13): Iznik to Canakkale (Stay in Canakkale for 4 nights)
Our goal is to visit Gallipoli, Troy, Assos, Gokceada and Bozcaada.
Step 6 (Night #15): Canakkale to Ayvalik (Stay in Ayvalik for 2 nights)
We want to stay in Cunda or Ayvalik. Especially Cunda looks like heaven!
Step 7 (Night #18): Ayvalik to Cesme (Stay in Cesme for 3 nights)
On our way to Cesme, we will stop at Bergama for a couple of hours. We can always drive to Alacati, which is very close to Cesme.
Step 8 (Night #19): Cesme to Gulluk (Stay in Gulluk for 1 night)
The last time I was in Bodrum area, I couldn’t stand the loud music and over-crowded tourist area. But I believe that my wife would enjoy the Bodrum Castle.
Step 9 (Night #21): Gulluk to Dalyan (Stay in Dalyan for 2 nights)
Dalyan is very unique. I wish we could see some sea turtles!
Step 10 (Night #25): Dalyan to Kalkan (Stay in Kalkan for 4 nights)
From Kalkan, we will visit Patara, Kekova, Demre, Oludeniz and Kayakoy.
Step 11 (Night #28): Kalkan to Cirali (Stay in Cirali for 3 nights)
Cirali and Olympos are very close. I heard that Cirali has one of the best beaches in Antalya region.
Step 12: Go home (Denizli) from Cirali
After these four weeks, we will stay with my parents for 2 more weeks; then we will fly to Istanbul. Our goal is to stay over 6 nights in Istanbul. We will visit Buyukada and Kucukada during that time as well.
Our budget is $11,000 without the flights from the US. We will have a total of 4 weeks and 6 days of traveling outside of my hometown. Does it look feasible? I look forward to any help or suggestions during our planning over the next year. Thanks!
5 week honeymoon in Turkey by car
Hi travel lovers,
- 1 Prague Main Train Station
- 2 Itinerary Questions
- 3 Place to propose
- 4 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 5 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 6 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 7 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 8 Traveling to Europe for the first time
- 9 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 10 Need advice Best European city for New Year celebration
- 11 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 12 Lake como
- 13 Christmas in Paris was fantastic!
- 14 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 15 Moldova and Transnistiria
- 16 Naples report - including staying in the centro storico
- 17 Stockholm hotel suggestions please!!!!
- 18 Le Marche and Rome - Part 1
- 19 Rome L. Argentina Ruins - Can they be explored or just viewed from street?
- 20 Prague, Salzburg and Innsbruck
- 21 Three for the road
- 22 Budapest Vienna Munich - March 2014
- 23 Make time for the Rhine and Mosel Valleys?
- 24 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 25 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?