I need some help with the German part of our trip in a couple weeks. My daughter and I travel from Brugges to Cochem (with a one hour stopover in Koln to see the cathedral) on a Friday for 2 nights, then on to St. Goar (3 nights).
Friday – arrive Cochem 3:45pm, visit Reichsburg castle and maybe the chairlift at some point.
Saturday – Burg Eltz using Day 1 of a 3-day VRM pass, maybe ride bikes in the afternoon, evening wine tasting/tour 5 pm though our hotel.
Sunday – visit Beilstein, with travel to St. Goar late afternoon/evening. Explore Rheinfels Castle at some point.
Monday – visit Marksburg Castle, river cruise Bingen/Rudesheim to St. Goar.
Tuesday – day trip to Mainz using a Rheinland Pfalz pass for Gutenberg Museum (important to my daughter), with afternoon visit to Bacharach on the way back .
Wednesday – depart FRA at 2pm
Here are my questions:
1. There is a winefest at Bernkastel-Kues the weekend we are in Cochem. If we try to fit this in, I think we will need additional train tickets (not covered by the VRM) and will probably have to cut something else from the itinerary. Is the winefest a ‘don’t miss’ event?
2. We would like to visit Marksburg Castle, and have a couple choices. Option 1: Stop in Koblenz on Sunday on the way to St. Goar and store the luggage, train to Braubach, visit the castle, then backtrack to get the luggage and on to St. Goar. Option 2: Monday morning ferry to St. Goarshausen and train up to Braubach to the castle, then train down to Rudesheim for the 4:15 Goethe paddle ship to St. Goar. Option 1 seems like we would have to leave Cochem by early afternoon to get there in time to tour the castle. Which option is better, or is there another option that is easier or more convenient?
3. If we go to Marksburg Monday morning, I think we have to get an additional train ticket from Kaub to Rudesheim because it’s outside of the VRM zone. Can I get this ticket at any station beforehand or do I have to stop in Kaub, get the ticket and wait for the next train? Is there another pass or way of ticketing that is better?
4. Should I get single tickets from St. Goar to FRA, or is there a better ticket? I don't think the R-P ticket covers Frankfurt.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 2 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 3 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 4 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 5 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 6 Scotland itinerary advice
- 7 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 8 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 9 Children's seat on Nextbike in Wachau Valley?
- 10 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 11 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 12 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 13 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 14 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 15 Munich to Hallstatt in a day
- 16 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 17 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 18 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 19 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 20 Valencia Spain
- 21 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?
- 22 Day Trip From Lisbon
- 23 Parentheses in France Phone Nos...will iPhone dial appropriately?
- 24 Visiting Zurich
- 25 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)