I need some help with the German part of our trip in a couple weeks. My daughter and I travel from Brugges to Cochem (with a one hour stopover in Koln to see the cathedral) on a Friday for 2 nights, then on to St. Goar (3 nights).
Friday – arrive Cochem 3:45pm, visit Reichsburg castle and maybe the chairlift at some point.
Saturday – Burg Eltz using Day 1 of a 3-day VRM pass, maybe ride bikes in the afternoon, evening wine tasting/tour 5 pm though our hotel.
Sunday – visit Beilstein, with travel to St. Goar late afternoon/evening. Explore Rheinfels Castle at some point.
Monday – visit Marksburg Castle, river cruise Bingen/Rudesheim to St. Goar.
Tuesday – day trip to Mainz using a Rheinland Pfalz pass for Gutenberg Museum (important to my daughter), with afternoon visit to Bacharach on the way back .
Wednesday – depart FRA at 2pm
Here are my questions:
1. There is a winefest at Bernkastel-Kues the weekend we are in Cochem. If we try to fit this in, I think we will need additional train tickets (not covered by the VRM) and will probably have to cut something else from the itinerary. Is the winefest a ‘don’t miss’ event?
2. We would like to visit Marksburg Castle, and have a couple choices. Option 1: Stop in Koblenz on Sunday on the way to St. Goar and store the luggage, train to Braubach, visit the castle, then backtrack to get the luggage and on to St. Goar. Option 2: Monday morning ferry to St. Goarshausen and train up to Braubach to the castle, then train down to Rudesheim for the 4:15 Goethe paddle ship to St. Goar. Option 1 seems like we would have to leave Cochem by early afternoon to get there in time to tour the castle. Which option is better, or is there another option that is easier or more convenient?
3. If we go to Marksburg Monday morning, I think we have to get an additional train ticket from Kaub to Rudesheim because it’s outside of the VRM zone. Can I get this ticket at any station beforehand or do I have to stop in Kaub, get the ticket and wait for the next train? Is there another pass or way of ticketing that is better?
4. Should I get single tickets from St. Goar to FRA, or is there a better ticket? I don't think the R-P ticket covers Frankfurt.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 현금바둑이 =홈_피:【"ttx983.com"】추천인:지퍼
- 2 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 3 London advice
- 4 London 7 Day Paper Travelcard clarification
- 5 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 6 Eating in Italy with food allergies
- 7 Another Question re Scotland
- 8 Train up the Jungfrau
- 9 Charming areas to explore in London
- 10 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 11 Kitchenette in hotel room?
- 12 Valencia, Spain
- 13 London, Glasgow, and ?
- 14 Visit to Engand
- 15 Lovely Luxembourg!
- 16 Place to stay
- 17 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 18 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 19 Istria and northern Croatia OR Calabria and Sicily
- 20 Driver"s License & Language
- 21 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 22 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 23 credit and debit cards
- 24 Help w/ 2-week itinerary to Switzerland w/ 7 yr old
- 25 May get together in Paris