I am taking the Eurostar from London and will arrive in Avignon Sunday at 2 p.m. I want to stay in the Provence area until Friday a.m. I am wondering if I should drive or just take train/bus around. Also, I am basing myself in Cassis and Gordes if driving, Cassis and Avignon if taking public transit. Not sure if this is the right way to go. Want to experience small town culture, therefore I prefer not staying in Avignon. However, do these places shut down early at night? We like to have late dinners/drinks.
My driving itinerary is:
Sunday: Pick up car in Avignon, go to Cassis (1.5 hour)
Monday: Cassis, Calanques
Tuesday: Head 1.5 hour to to Gordes (market day) explore Luberon villages (Rousillon)
Wed: Day trip to Isle la Sorgue, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, maybe Orange
Thursday: Day trip (1 hour) to Saint Remy, Les Baux, Arles
Friday: drop car off, explore Avignon-head to Paris on TGV in afternoon
Sunday-Continue on Eurostar Train to Marseille, bus to Cassis
Mon: Cassis, Calanques
Tuesday: Head to Avignon (explore in afternoon) maybe visit Aix in provence on the way via bus/train.
Weday trip to Saint Remy, Les Baux, Arles
Thurs: Day trip/Minivan tour of Luberon, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Orange
With Train/Bus, I will not be able to see Isle La Sorgue. Thanks for any and all feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 9 days and nights in Switzerland
- 2 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 3 If you had to choose one......
- 4 A night's stop between Sarlat and Amboise.
- 5 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 6 Driving in Italy?
- 7 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 8 BARDENAS REALES, Unesco site and national park in Navarra
- 9 Croatia trip Planning
- 10 House Hunting in France
- 11 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 12 So much to do, so little time!
- 13 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 14 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 15 English Countryside
- 16 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 17 Portugal and Spain Itinerary Suggestions
- 18 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 19 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 20 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 21 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 22 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 23 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 24 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures
- 25 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov