My partner and I are planning a 8 day trip to France, the first week of June. We have previously visited Paris, Provence, Alsace, Lyon, Brittany, and Normandy, and are in our early 30s.
Our rough outline is as follows, arrive Paris Saturday morning, spend Saturday night, Sunday night and Monday night in Paris, leave Tuesday morning by train to Brieve, rent a car there. We will then base 3 nights in the Dordogne. For this short a stay, what would be the best bet in terms of location? Would like to see the brief highlights of the region. In my experience it can save a lot of time to stay in a more rural setting to avoid the parking/traffic of tourists crowds in the towns. Is this the case in Dordogne in early June? Does anyone have any recommendations?
We are then going to travel south to Gascony (Gers) on the Friday. We have a reservation at Michel Guerard's restaurant Friday evening. This is in Eugenie-les-Bains. Unfortunately we cannot afford to stay in the attached hotel. We need a good location that is within 1hrs drive of Eugenie-les-Bains, in the direction of Toulouse. Was looking at Auch as an option? Any thoughts on this? Sunday morning (early) we fly home out of Toulouse airport
Thanks for the help!
I know it would have been a bit simpler to simply stay in 1 location in Dordoge, but we are really looking forward to M Guerard's cooking as there are not many chef's of his era still around.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona alternative
- 2 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 3 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 4 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 5 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 6 Iceland early december visit
- 7 Frankfurt to UK
- 8 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 9 God Save the Queen?
- 10 Road trip with our dog
- 11 Milan or Turin
- 12 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 13 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 14 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 15 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 16 9 Days in Spain
- 17 Paris to Italy
- 18 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 19 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 20 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 22 Spanish Medical Providers
- 23 Italy Car Scam
- 24 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 25 Undiscovered Places in Paris