My partner and I are planning a 8 day trip to France, the first week of June. We have previously visited Paris, Provence, Alsace, Lyon, Brittany, and Normandy, and are in our early 30s.
Our rough outline is as follows, arrive Paris Saturday morning, spend Saturday night, Sunday night and Monday night in Paris, leave Tuesday morning by train to Brieve, rent a car there. We will then base 3 nights in the Dordogne. For this short a stay, what would be the best bet in terms of location? Would like to see the brief highlights of the region. In my experience it can save a lot of time to stay in a more rural setting to avoid the parking/traffic of tourists crowds in the towns. Is this the case in Dordogne in early June? Does anyone have any recommendations?
We are then going to travel south to Gascony (Gers) on the Friday. We have a reservation at Michel Guerard's restaurant Friday evening. This is in Eugenie-les-Bains. Unfortunately we cannot afford to stay in the attached hotel. We need a good location that is within 1hrs drive of Eugenie-les-Bains, in the direction of Toulouse. Was looking at Auch as an option? Any thoughts on this? Sunday morning (early) we fly home out of Toulouse airport
Thanks for the help!
I know it would have been a bit simpler to simply stay in 1 location in Dordoge, but we are really looking forward to M Guerard's cooking as there are not many chef's of his era still around.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Beaune France
- 2 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 3 advance tickets?
- 4 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 5 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 6 38 Days in Paris
- 7 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 8 roadtrip from Barcelona to Madrid
- 9 A week in Paris
- 10 June Festivals in Lisbon?
- 11 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 12 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 13 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 14 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 15 car rental in Dubrovnik
- 16 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 17 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 18 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 19 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 20 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 21 Cordoba Overnight?
- 22 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 23 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 24 UZES & NIMES OR Orange & Châteauneuf du Pape
- 25 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?