My friend and I are planning to go to Stockholm for approx. 5.5 days in the first week of September. We will be flying into Stockholm from Bergen (Norway). Here's our current plan:
Day 0.5: Arrive Stockholm in the evening
Day 1-3: Stockholm
Day 4: Visby,Gotland (incl.overnight stay)
Day 5: Back in Stockholm . Departing next day
Based on my research, for Gotland, we would need to take a bus from Stockholm to Nynäshamn , and then get on the ferry to Visby. I checked the ferry timings for when we will be there and since it's September, the ferry service is limited. Under Sept. timetable, we will get to Visby at 2:30pm on Day 4, spend the rest of the day there, and then the next day take the 7am ferry back to get to Stockholm around noon (the only other option gets us back to Stockholm around 11pm and that's too late since we want to squeeze in some last minute shopping). I've read many good things about Visby's historical/medieval significance and we would really like to go but I'm just wondering if the current plan makes it a rather hectic trip...so here are the questions:
1) Is this plan almost touch-and-go for Gotland? Is that enough time ? Would it be better for us to remain in Stockholm and pick 1 or 2 archipelago islands to visit on day 4, rather than venturing to Visby? The 3 days in Stockholm currently include a short 3-hr archipelago cruise.
2) Is 3 full days in Stockholm enough?
We're looking to have a relaxed trip and not spend our time stressing out about catching buses/trains or running around all over the city to see the main attractions. I realize we won't be able to see everything in one go and I'm fine with skipping some places...all the more reason to go back!
Would love feedback/suggestions on this.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London(ish) calling. 33C at 10:00am!
- 2 Barcelona Itinerary
- 3 CapitaineTrain.com again !!!!!
- 4 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 5 Barcelona sites: attire
- 6 Interesting new site in Utrecht
- 7 What train pass for Paris?
- 8 Cheap buses in Germany/Austria
- 9 What company to rent a AUTOMATIC car in France?
- 10 Travel tips for Budapest-July 2016
- 11 My northern Italy itinerary - your comments are appreciated!
- 12 short trip klon to koblenz
- 13 Rome Walking Guide
- 14 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 15 Overnight in Obidos or Nazare?
- 16 Paris Visite pass
- 17 Amsterdam & Paris in peak season
- 18 Need help with Switzerland and Italy iterinary
- 19 Cinque Terre
- 20 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 21 Desperate! photo SD card says "not Formatted" is all lost!?
- 22 First trip to Ireland--won't be the last!
- 23 Travelling from Marseille Airport into the city
- 24 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 25 Referendum in Greece