My friend and I are planning to go to Stockholm for approx. 5.5 days in the first week of September. We will be flying into Stockholm from Bergen (Norway). Here's our current plan:
Day 0.5: Arrive Stockholm in the evening
Day 1-3: Stockholm
Day 4: Visby,Gotland (incl.overnight stay)
Day 5: Back in Stockholm . Departing next day
Based on my research, for Gotland, we would need to take a bus from Stockholm to Nynäshamn , and then get on the ferry to Visby. I checked the ferry timings for when we will be there and since it's September, the ferry service is limited. Under Sept. timetable, we will get to Visby at 2:30pm on Day 4, spend the rest of the day there, and then the next day take the 7am ferry back to get to Stockholm around noon (the only other option gets us back to Stockholm around 11pm and that's too late since we want to squeeze in some last minute shopping). I've read many good things about Visby's historical/medieval significance and we would really like to go but I'm just wondering if the current plan makes it a rather hectic trip...so here are the questions:
1) Is this plan almost touch-and-go for Gotland? Is that enough time ? Would it be better for us to remain in Stockholm and pick 1 or 2 archipelago islands to visit on day 4, rather than venturing to Visby? The 3 days in Stockholm currently include a short 3-hr archipelago cruise.
2) Is 3 full days in Stockholm enough?
We're looking to have a relaxed trip and not spend our time stressing out about catching buses/trains or running around all over the city to see the main attractions. I realize we won't be able to see everything in one go and I'm fine with skipping some places...all the more reason to go back!
Would love feedback/suggestions on this.
5 and a half days in Stockholm in September
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 2 4 weeks in the UK
- 3 Does Roma Pass covers free admission to Colosseum ?
- 4 Solo in Paris for a month: Help me decide on Side Trips
- 5 Tentative 2 week itinerary for Paris
- 6 Provence in November
- 7 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 8 Rome Areas to stay
- 9 Italy 14 days
- 10 Is this the right way<>?
- 11 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 12 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 13 When to go to Sicily
- 14 Itinerary advise needed
- 15 Any recommended shops on Rue du Cherche Midi? Or nearby?
- 16 Kimhe--flamenco
- 17 Wengen to Torino?
- 18 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 19 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 20 Working Holiday in Germany
- 21 Life Jackets on Gondolas in Venice?
- 22 Current Recs for accommodations near Glencoe
- 23 Oct. 2014 in Croatia, Slovenia, Montenagro and Bosnia-Herzegovina: TR
- 24 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 25 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question