I wish to travel to Iceland around the last week of May (before the peak season starts) and was wondering if anyone could please help me with my questions. My primary purpose is to photograph the beautiful landscapes (Waterfalls ,glaciers)...
This will be a first trip for my wife and I and after reading a lot of threads I have come to realize that instead of taking any bus tours, we could be ok if we rented a vehicle and do a road trip ourselves.
1. How would the road condition be ( Rd 1 mostly) except for the golden triangle tour (different road) ? Is the Rte 1 paved all the way to the south ( till JokulSarlon) ?
2. Is it rainy/cold/wet around that time of the year?
3. Anyone rented a car from sixT ? Seems like a few complaints have come in but now they do offer coverage for gravel/sand damage....
4. Is this a decent month photography wise ?
5. Do I really need a 4WD during the trip or a 2wd vehicle is sufficient?
My itinerary would be something like this:
1. Day 1 in Reykjavik
2. Snaeffelsjokull NP
3. Do Golden Circle (Þingvellir – Gullfoss Waterfall and Geysir Hot Springs – Faxi waterfall – Kerið )
4. South Coast (South Coast, Skaftafell National Park) . Where could 1 stay here to be able to visit Jokulsarlon early in the day (next day) ?
5. Jokulsarlon (early morning), drive back to Reykjavik
6. Fly back home
I appreciate all/any help you may have....
5-6 days in Iceland in May, road trip possible?
- 1 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 2 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 3 Paris Hotel for Young Couple
- 4 Train from London to Edinburgh
- 5 East coast trains
- 6 Photos from northern Italy: Venice, Lake Garda, Lake Como
- 7 Loire Valley & Brittany - recommendations?
- 8 10 day honeymoon in Italy in Nov
- 9 Paris Budget Hotel-Sept 2013 (Single; 100 Euros/night)
- 10 Looking for Paris apartment for honeymoon
- 11 Car Rental Locations
- 12 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 13 Easyjet luggage/ baggage
- 14 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 15 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 16 Spain Pyrenees overnight stopover Help needed with route?
- 17 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 18 Spain / fatima - itinerary suggestion 10 days
- 19 Croatia Restaurant Recommendations
- 20 from Loire (Tours) to Amsterdam?
- 21 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 22 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 23 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 24 Local Living Rome- G adventures
- 25 Santorini-Nafplio-Delphi-Athens Help