I wish to travel to Iceland around the last week of May (before the peak season starts) and was wondering if anyone could please help me with my questions. My primary purpose is to photograph the beautiful landscapes (Waterfalls ,glaciers)...
This will be a first trip for my wife and I and after reading a lot of threads I have come to realize that instead of taking any bus tours, we could be ok if we rented a vehicle and do a road trip ourselves.
1. How would the road condition be ( Rd 1 mostly) except for the golden triangle tour (different road) ? Is the Rte 1 paved all the way to the south ( till JokulSarlon) ?
2. Is it rainy/cold/wet around that time of the year?
3. Anyone rented a car from sixT ? Seems like a few complaints have come in but now they do offer coverage for gravel/sand damage....
4. Is this a decent month photography wise ?
5. Do I really need a 4WD during the trip or a 2wd vehicle is sufficient?
My itinerary would be something like this:
1. Day 1 in Reykjavik
2. Snaeffelsjokull NP
3. Do Golden Circle (Þingvellir – Gullfoss Waterfall and Geysir Hot Springs – Faxi waterfall – Kerið )
4. South Coast (South Coast, Skaftafell National Park) . Where could 1 stay here to be able to visit Jokulsarlon early in the day (next day) ?
5. Jokulsarlon (early morning), drive back to Reykjavik
6. Fly back home
I appreciate all/any help you may have....
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi coast 8 days with 4 yr old
- 2 7 Days, 7 Counties, 3 Generations Southwest Sampler
- 3 Advice---Milan Roadtrip to Barcelona
- 4 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 5 Have you been to the Ferrari Museum in Italy
- 6 Scandinavia Trip in August
- 7 Our Paris plans
- 8 Scandinavian and Baltic Adventure - our trip report
- 9 Thalys seat assignment hassle
- 10 Have I made a mistake in my apartment choice in Paris?
- 11 Itinerary help for Italy!!
- 12 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 13 air conditioning
- 14 Gibraltar-is it worth a stop?
- 15 Travel tips for Budapest-July 2016
- 16 Bath or Exeter
- 17 Rome for a day and a half - what to see/do on 3rd visit?
- 18 Blonde in Amsterdam & Paris: Van Gogh, Gables & the Gare d'Orsay
- 19 Paths of the God's on Amalfi coast?
- 20 Rail Itinerary around Northern/Central Italy
- 21 Need help with Switzerland and Italy iterinary
- 22 Stratford-upon-avon in England
- 23 1st time in Europe - need help
- 24 Barcelona Itinerary
- 25 train connections in the UK