I wish to travel to Iceland around the last week of May (before the peak season starts) and was wondering if anyone could please help me with my questions. My primary purpose is to photograph the beautiful landscapes (Waterfalls ,glaciers)...
This will be a first trip for my wife and I and after reading a lot of threads I have come to realize that instead of taking any bus tours, we could be ok if we rented a vehicle and do a road trip ourselves.
1. How would the road condition be ( Rd 1 mostly) except for the golden triangle tour (different road) ? Is the Rte 1 paved all the way to the south ( till JokulSarlon) ?
2. Is it rainy/cold/wet around that time of the year?
3. Anyone rented a car from sixT ? Seems like a few complaints have come in but now they do offer coverage for gravel/sand damage....
4. Is this a decent month photography wise ?
5. Do I really need a 4WD during the trip or a 2wd vehicle is sufficient?
My itinerary would be something like this:
1. Day 1 in Reykjavik
2. Snaeffelsjokull NP
3. Do Golden Circle (Þingvellir – Gullfoss Waterfall and Geysir Hot Springs – Faxi waterfall – Kerið )
4. South Coast (South Coast, Skaftafell National Park) . Where could 1 stay here to be able to visit Jokulsarlon early in the day (next day) ?
5. Jokulsarlon (early morning), drive back to Reykjavik
6. Fly back home
I appreciate all/any help you may have....
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How best to spend a day in Tallinn
- 2 20 free days of Europe
- 3 Day Trip to Santa Margarhertia Ligure, Portofino, and Camogli
- 4 Dublin Hotel Recommendations
- 5 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 6 Frankfurt Airport Rail Connection
- 7 Norfolk base
- 8 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 9 italy itinerary
- 10 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 11 Late October European trek/hike location suggestions
- 12 Help family trip Sardinia with 2years old
- 13 Small town near Grenada?
- 14 Rome Rental Car
- 15 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 16 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 17 Getting to CDG Airport from Le Marais
- 18 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 19 italy Cinque Terre and Lake Como
- 20 Czech Republic, Krakow & Budapest Trip Report
- 21 Berlin restaurant recs
- 22 *Need help w/Puglia itinerary*
- 23 Spain Road trip Barcelona to San Sebastian June 2017
- 24 Help! American needs to get into Italy after staying >90 days
- 25 Buy international calling card OR Smart phone with international minutes?