I wish to travel to Iceland around the last week of May (before the peak season starts) and was wondering if anyone could please help me with my questions. My primary purpose is to photograph the beautiful landscapes (Waterfalls ,glaciers)...
This will be a first trip for my wife and I and after reading a lot of threads I have come to realize that instead of taking any bus tours, we could be ok if we rented a vehicle and do a road trip ourselves.
1. How would the road condition be ( Rd 1 mostly) except for the golden triangle tour (different road) ? Is the Rte 1 paved all the way to the south ( till JokulSarlon) ?
2. Is it rainy/cold/wet around that time of the year?
3. Anyone rented a car from sixT ? Seems like a few complaints have come in but now they do offer coverage for gravel/sand damage....
4. Is this a decent month photography wise ?
5. Do I really need a 4WD during the trip or a 2wd vehicle is sufficient?
My itinerary would be something like this:
1. Day 1 in Reykjavik
2. Snaeffelsjokull NP
3. Do Golden Circle (Þingvellir – Gullfoss Waterfall and Geysir Hot Springs – Faxi waterfall – Kerið )
4. South Coast (South Coast, Skaftafell National Park) . Where could 1 stay here to be able to visit Jokulsarlon early in the day (next day) ?
5. Jokulsarlon (early morning), drive back to Reykjavik
6. Fly back home
I appreciate all/any help you may have....
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 week italy itinerary coming along! now need help with car/trains please
- 2 Flight
- 3 First time in London, dec2017
- 4 A few more questions about Brittany
- 5 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 6 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 7 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 8 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 9 Outstanding Bangalore Escorts Agency
- 10 Airports in France - help with transport between them
- 11 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 12 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 13 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 14 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 15 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 16 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 17 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 18 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 19 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 20 Sweet villages to base in La Rioja
- 21 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 22 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 23 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 24 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 25 Train from Barcelona to Madrid