My husband and I are planning our 1st big European trip in June next year. We are leaving from Australia and will be there for 30 days (not including flight to and from Sydney). We are interested in experiencing as much as we can but don’t want our trip to be too rushed – we are hoping to come back for more next time. We want to do the usual tourist things – sightseeing, trying different food, visiting museums, and just experiencing what Europe is like. The must see places are London, Paris, the Swiss Alps (Janfrau) and I would love to drive around the English countryside.
We are in our mid 30s, fairly fit (I like to think) and haven’t had much problem with jetlag in past trips to the US.
Budget isn’t really a huge issue but we would of course like to keep it reasonable (maybe $20k give or take).
We are still in early stages of our planning and after consulting this and other forums, we came up with the following draft itinerary:
Day 1 to 5 – London
Day 6 to 10 – Paris (include day to Versailles)
Day 11 to 16 – Swiss Alps/Lucerne (thinking of taking the night trains to Amsterdam so won’t lose a day travelling)
Day 17 to 18 – Amsterdam (fly to Edinburgh)
Day 19 to 28 – Driving from Edinburgh to Bath – hoping to stop in on the Lake district, York, Cotswold district. Is this too much?
Day 29 to 30 – back to London
Are we being too ambitious with the above itinerary? Happy to forego Amsterdam and/or Edinburgh. They were included more for the connection between Lucerne and the drive down from the Lake District.
Thanks for looking and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 9 days in Eastern Sicily
- 2 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 3 Alternative for Rustem Pasa Kulliyesi
- 4 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 5 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 6 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 7 Bursa/Iznik
- 8 Where to stay in Sorrento/Positano area with family of 5?
- 9 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 10 Best of Norway
- 11 hotels in the Eixample district of Barcelona
- 12 Charming areas to explore in London
- 13 Hidden Gems outside Munich
- 14 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 15 credit and debit cards
- 16 Luggage storage Vienna railway
- 17 Sweden, Estonia and Southern Croatia
- 18 Another Question re Scotland
- 19 Transportation and things to do around Malta from the Westin Dragona?
- 20 Accommodation Goze and Ostia Antic
- 21 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 22 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 23 Tattoos in Italy
- 24 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 25 London/Edinburgh in a few weeks, what should I get done ahead of time?