My husband and I are planning our 1st big European trip in June next year. We are leaving from Australia and will be there for 30 days (not including flight to and from Sydney). We are interested in experiencing as much as we can but don’t want our trip to be too rushed – we are hoping to come back for more next time. We want to do the usual tourist things – sightseeing, trying different food, visiting museums, and just experiencing what Europe is like. The must see places are London, Paris, the Swiss Alps (Janfrau) and I would love to drive around the English countryside.
We are in our mid 30s, fairly fit (I like to think) and haven’t had much problem with jetlag in past trips to the US.
Budget isn’t really a huge issue but we would of course like to keep it reasonable (maybe $20k give or take).
We are still in early stages of our planning and after consulting this and other forums, we came up with the following draft itinerary:
Day 1 to 5 – London
Day 6 to 10 – Paris (include day to Versailles)
Day 11 to 16 – Swiss Alps/Lucerne (thinking of taking the night trains to Amsterdam so won’t lose a day travelling)
Day 17 to 18 – Amsterdam (fly to Edinburgh)
Day 19 to 28 – Driving from Edinburgh to Bath – hoping to stop in on the Lake district, York, Cotswold district. Is this too much?
Day 29 to 30 – back to London
Are we being too ambitious with the above itinerary? Happy to forego Amsterdam and/or Edinburgh. They were included more for the connection between Lucerne and the drive down from the Lake District.
Thanks for looking and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen: a german trip report
- 2 My Fundraising Dream in Paris
- 3 London and Paris 13 day HS graduation trip
- 4 Overnight Train Questions
- 5 Car Rental tips while in Greece?
- 6 Rome, Amalfi coast September/October help
- 7 Italy - best two central locations
- 8 2 month Itinerary Ideas (summer)
- 9 Trip Report: Christmas in Paris with 9- and 10-year-old kids
- 10 Advance Passes & Tickets for Paris, Venice, Rome & Interlaken
- 11 Tower of London for the "sensitive"
- 12 Vet my itinerary
- 13 Family Trip to Italy - North or South? April, July or October?
- 14 Amsterdam hotels
- 15 Hotels in Amsterdam
- 16 Croatia Driving Trip in March
- 17 Day Trips From Paris: Champagne
- 18 Sicily - Itinerary suggestions
- 19 Back to Bari--Basilicata Itinerary Musings
- 20 Need Apartment with Paris Balcony for Family of Five - Not tourist central
- 21 Istanbul tour guides?
- 22 Flamenco Shows
- 23 Information about Bad Schandau, Germany
- 24 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 25 Would you give up time in Malaga for more time in Granada?