My husband and I are planning our 1st big European trip in June next year. We are leaving from Australia and will be there for 30 days (not including flight to and from Sydney). We are interested in experiencing as much as we can but don’t want our trip to be too rushed – we are hoping to come back for more next time. We want to do the usual tourist things – sightseeing, trying different food, visiting museums, and just experiencing what Europe is like. The must see places are London, Paris, the Swiss Alps (Janfrau) and I would love to drive around the English countryside.
We are in our mid 30s, fairly fit (I like to think) and haven’t had much problem with jetlag in past trips to the US.
Budget isn’t really a huge issue but we would of course like to keep it reasonable (maybe $20k give or take).
We are still in early stages of our planning and after consulting this and other forums, we came up with the following draft itinerary:
Day 1 to 5 – London
Day 6 to 10 – Paris (include day to Versailles)
Day 11 to 16 – Swiss Alps/Lucerne (thinking of taking the night trains to Amsterdam so won’t lose a day travelling)
Day 17 to 18 – Amsterdam (fly to Edinburgh)
Day 19 to 28 – Driving from Edinburgh to Bath – hoping to stop in on the Lake district, York, Cotswold district. Is this too much?
Day 29 to 30 – back to London
Are we being too ambitious with the above itinerary? Happy to forego Amsterdam and/or Edinburgh. They were included more for the connection between Lucerne and the drive down from the Lake District.
Thanks for looking and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need advice. To Drive or not in Poland
- 2 Booking.com trustworthy?
- 3 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 4 Best Viking Sites
- 5 Language to use in Belgium
- 6 US AARP discounts in Europe
- 7 Suggestions for fall trip to Brittany
- 8 Euro road trip – looking for advice please
- 9 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 10 Spanish Basque Country Itinerary?
- 11 Car Hire Bologna
- 12 Sherry Triangle--Where to Stay
- 13 San Sebastian Beaches
- 14 Skiathos 2017
- 15 Hiking Tips in Scotland
- 16 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 17 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 18 SURPRISE TRIP
- 19 Rick Steves Pickpocketed in Paris!
- 20 Driving in Wales
- 21 National Parks near Prague, Budapest, Vienna or Eastern Europe?
- 22 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 23 2 Weeks in Switzerland w/kids?
- 24 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 25 Need train ticket help for Prague